Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont SC only drawing 10A on my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we took the trusty 2013 CPO P85 to the Fremont SC about 1.5 hours ago, and plugged in. My car was only drawing 10A and i tried several SC spots at the factory.

Took the car home and it's plugged in and pulling a nice quiet 29A on my Siemans Versicharge no problem.

The sales guy checked and said nothing's wrong with the SC stations.

Looks like i am calling the Service Center Monday to bring her in for a look.

Anyone know a way to reset the chargers without a factory car reset?

IMG_0061.JPG

Looks like it might be car related. Seems even at home, I'm pulling ~50% of what current should be at. Hello service center call.

Two thoughts:

1. You should try a reboot as mentioned. Do you have dual chargers, or single charger in the car?

2. The Supercharger (DC charging) is independent from the AC charging, so you can't compare the 10A at Supercharger from 29A at home.

So I plugged in the travel charger on a the 120V outlet in the garage and that seemed to be ok. After some searching I did the hard reset (top two buttons, also reset main display with two middle buttons)

it it seems the home charger is working and that did the trick. We shall see in a few hours.

1. +1 for the reboot advice confirmed via a search for hard reset
3. Yup, this is a P85, dual chargers and many supercharger visits in the now 56k+ miles on her

We had a similar situation at the SC north of Stockholm (Sweden). I plugged in at the service center supercharger and came back in an hour (after breakfast). The car was drawing 10A. The person working for Tesla said they "have a problem today". Could it be that they had a similar problem but did not notice, because they still charge? Anyway... solved.

Nope. no problem with the chargers as other cars were charging no problem and also my home Level 2 had no issue charging my Nissan Leaf.

Email back from service logs indicated a "Gateway" issue. In short, the comms between units seem to have failed and a "reboot" of the "Computer" was all that was needed. Top two buttons on the steering wheel held for a 60s count and two cycles of the Tesla logo ensured a reset and all is fine now.

I tested at home and SC last night and no problems with the car today.

2. The Supercharger (DC charging) is independent from the AC charging, so you can't compare the 10A at Supercharger from 29A at home.

Is that true? I heard there is a relay that has to close in the master charger in order for the SpC cabinet to be directly connected to the pack.

If I were to guess, a coolant problem, and the car is thermally limiting during charging. Is acceleration or other performance adversely affected? What about regen?

Coolant problems usually trigger "Vehicle systems very hot. Charge speed reduced."

Really wish we had read-only access to the diag screens. It would save us a lot of time troubleshooting and avoid having to get Tesla involved.

Is that true? I heard there is a relay that has to close in the master charger in order for the SpC cabinet to be directly connected to the pack.

You're sort of correct. There is a relay, but its in the high voltage junction box. This routes power away from the chargers and directly into the pack when the car is DC charging. Its completely independent from AC charging.