Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Holy cow!!" A P90D Ludicrous test drive report from a P85D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
tl;dr: as the title suggests, the P90DL makes the P85D seem like a wimp in comparison!

As some of you have been waiting to hear about, as a P85D owner, I've been trying to understand and experience (as a driver) what a P90D Ludicrous is really capable of. This is so that I could justify the Ludicrous fuse/contactors upgrade (for $5k + labor) when it becomes officially available.

Our own Pete90D generously offered his "grey ghost" P90DL up for a test drive. Thanks again, Pete!

So, we met up at the San Mateo Supercharger bright and early this morning. Both our cars juiced up to 90% or thereabouts (mine got up to 96% but, Pete's was on the dot or very close).

First off, here are the differences between the cars:

- Pete's car has the 21" grey wheels while I have the standard 19" ones.

- Fwiw, his car has the post-April PD suspension while mine was one of the first P85Ds from Dec 2014.

We had the A/C running at 67 degrees with ambient temps in the same range. There was little traffic around on the freeway. We charted out a route (should be familiar to Bay Area Peninsula locals) that took us

a) down the Hillsdale Blvd. on-ramp into 101 South while doing a 30-85 launch

b) drive down 101 to the Redwood Shores Pkwy / Holly St exit while doing short speed bursts between 65 and 90

c) turn around on Redwood Shores Pkwy to take the on-ramp (in an exit lane) to 101 South towards Whipple Ave. and do a 0-85 launch.

We took Pete's car out first, got back to the SC and retraced our steps with my car.

My observations:

- On all three fronts above, the PDL pulled strong and assertively through all speed bands while the PD was "gasping for air", particularly in a) and b).

- For a), with the PDL, I didn't even put the go pedal all the way to the metal before the 88 blind spot alert came up to make me aware of the speed while, with my PD, I felt the pedal hit the bottom while not experiencing any real power surge forward starting from 65.

- For c), with the PDL, the "mag lev theme park roller coaster" ride lasted the entire stretch and it felt as if the car had even more on tap. With my PD, there was no such sensation past 45 or so.

Boy, no wonder Tesla wants $10k more for the Ludicrous for new orders. They've checked almost all boxes on the performance front with the P90DL (some might still hold the fact that this kind of performance cannot be had at lower states of charge against Tesla).

Now, will I upgrade?! If the "$5k + labor" doesn't turn out to be $10k or more, absolutely!!! I still have to sell this to my CFO at home though - need to see what kind of collateral damage, i.e. jewelry or accessories, may do the trick. ;)

Tesla has built an incredible machine in the P90DL and it most certainly pushes the P85D off the pedestal. :sigh:

Boy, no wonder Tesla wants $10k more for the Ludicrous for new orders. They've checked almost all boxes on the performance front with the P90DL (some might still hold the fact that this kind of performance cannot be had at lower states of charge against Tesla)...
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate this as a Model X reservations holder. I wasn't on the fence. But now won't even bother getting back up on it after this review. :)

I went from P85 to P90D last week. It kinda feels like this:
wily.gif

Awesome, now I'm even more jealous in my P85.

One question though. The Ludys have been selling for a while now. I haven't seen a single drag race or quarter mile time. Am I just missing them?

I don't think you've missed any since very few people have posted anything. I haven't gone to a drag strip and I don't record incriminating evidence on public streets, which is why you haven't seen videos from me with either.

Pete is a bad influence! I had just about decided it was absurd to pay for the ludicrous upgrade; now this. Frankly, Pete is costing me money! Sometime i'll meet him in person and let him know how responsible he is for my emerging second adolescence.:scared:

Damnit GG... Making me waffle on the X... Nah, 3.8s is fast enough... for now...

Don't test drive a P90DLX ever, AO. You'd be filled with regret. :)

Seriously, it's not about the difference of fractions of a second. You know me; I couldn't care less.

I have no idea what times we achieved in both our cars today. However, I realized that it's all about the power delivery, at higher speeds. The difference is very noticeable, maybe even more so with the heavier X.

Pete is a bad influence! I had just about decided it was absurd to pay for the ludicrous upgrade; now this. Frankly, Pete is costing me money! Sometime i'll meet him in person and let him know how responsible he is for my emerging second adolescence.:scared:

Hahaha!

61526817.jpg

I'll let you know my travel schedule so we don't miss each other :p

Damnit GG... Making me waffle on the X... Nah, 3.8s is fast enough... for now...

Come on, 3.8 isn't fast enough. How are you supposed to get your ice cream home before it melts?

I'll have real data soon.... and a race between the two, on video...

Fantastic! I'm glad someone will do it. One of my hesitations has been that not a lot of people are posting about them and I feel singled out for being tracked down or having cops sit on the roads I drive even more. Probably just me being paranoid though.

Don't test drive a P90DLX ever, AO. You'd be filled with regret. :)

Seriously, it's not about the difference of fractions of a second. You know me; I couldn't care less.

I have no idea what times we achieved in both our cars today. However, I realized that it's all about the power delivery, at higher speeds. The difference is very noticeable, maybe even more so with the heavier X.

haha, well I'll just hope that it's a software upgrade if you already have a P90D

This is key for me. I've held back upgrading my P85 to the P85D as the higher speeds and passing speeds were faster, but not enough to trade up. But the P90DL might be worthy enough to trade in my wife's unicorn S40 and she can have my P85.