Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD performance Improvement from v7.0 - how much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday the v7.0 release notes were leaked. Amidst a bunch of autopilot stuff, was a nugget regarding improved performance for RWD cars. Specifically that "motor control enhancements initially developed f or dual motor model S have now been incorporated into RWD Model S, enabling higher acceleration at all speeds, especially near top speed".

How much do you guys think this will take off the 0-60 time for us early adopters? Is .5 seconds too much to ask for the S85? If I recall the same software update improved the 85D's performance by roughly that amount. Will the P85 get below 4 (officially)?

Thanks Tesla for throwing us early VINs a bone!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
Here is the portion of the leak I am referring to - this is from the v7.0 beta discussion thread.

Since I suspect the front and rear motor have slightly different gear ratios, I doubt we will see a 0.5 sec difference with rear wheel drive . Probably 0.1 to 0.2 sec, but really it is just a guess. Any improvement is certainly a welcome surprise! But I am really excited about the whole section you highlighted - with all the attention to auto pilot, it is nice that us early adopters are not forgotten, and nice to see a special regen treat for my discontinued lowly 60. :)

Last edited:
If I had to guess, I'd say 0.1 improvement for 0-60 at best. Sounds like it's more aimed at high speed performance. It said "especially near top speed" which means we may not see any 0-60 improvement at all. We're usually traction limited anyway, right?

If I had to guess, I'd say 0.1 improvement for 0-60 at best. Sounds like it's more aimed at high speed performance. It said "especially near top speed" which means we may not see any 0-60 improvement at all. We're usually traction limited anyway, right?

In my experience, we're not traction limited for very long. Plenty of room for improvement I think. But I'd agree this probably won't get us more than 0.1 sec improvement.

The p85's may be traction limited - but we know the S85's aren't (the P85's performance proves that the S85 isn't traction limited).

Elon mentioned when announcing the 3.2s to 2.8s P85D improvement early this year that the improvement will be applied to RWD performance model too but it would not be as much. We all know now that P85D improvement needs the ludicours hardware update too. The software improved 0-60 for P85 likely will be very small. It's not needed anyway because of traction limit as many mentioned. My P85+ with 21" staggered tire will slip everytime I punch the pedal hard from stop. On the other hand any improvement at 50mph+ can be very useful. I would give up 0-30 for better 50-70 any day.

The software improved 0-60 for P85 likely will be very small. It's not needed anyway because of traction limit as many mentioned. My P85+ with 21" staggered tire will slip everytime I punch the pedal hard from stop. On the other hand any improvement at 50mph+ can be very useful. I would give up 0-30 for better 50-70 any day.

Yes, but if the software improvement improves acceleration between 30-60mph, then saying it's not needed and bringing up the traction limit at lower speeds simply says that it's not needed at those lower speeds.

On another note, I have an 85D and I'm wondering if the low speed responsiveness will apply to us.

Based on the release notes, it should - I don't see the RWD version being singled out for that bullet point.

The RWD performance improvements will probably be more noticeable in, say 50-70 passing maneuvers vs. 0-60 times, meaning the torque will hold for longer before tapering off. But "increased performance at all speeds" would have to mean a higher torque output across the board, which translates into higher HP.

The HP numbers published by Tesla are already rather meaningless, but I suspect the S85 will be advertised at around the 400hp mark (just shy of the original P85 power).
P85 probably closer to 500hp, approaching the P85D rear motor power.
S60 to 360-ish HP.

Or, they may just leave the advertised #'s the same, since they don't really mean anything anyway.

I could be totally wrong, and maybe we'll get a 0.00001% increase in power.

Given that the Model X are all dual-motored, Tesla maybe wants to at least make sure the slowest model S is still faster than the slowest model X. Why? Maybe to give folks a reason to hold on to their Model S cars a little bit longer while they try to ramp production up for new customers.

That's impressive! I will definitely consider that upgrade when my original tires are gone. Also tells me that the torque on my P85 must be significantly less than my 97 Viper which could easily break loose it's 335 Michelin Pilot MXX3 tires.

I'm no longer traction limited in my P85+
285 Michelin PSS rear tires will not let me break loose no matter how hard i try
I wouldn't mind extra power between speeds of 0-80mph

That's impressive! I will definitely consider that upgrade when my original tires are gone. Also tells me that the torque on my P85 must be significantly less than my 97 Viper which could easily break loose it's 335 Michelin Pilot MXX3 tires.
Not sure one can draw that conclusion. Every car design is different, and some cars "hook up" better than others due to suspension geometry, spring rates, damper rates, bushing compliance, just to name a few. I've found the Tesla does an amazing job of launching with such narrow tires and so much torque.