Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Error 981

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got charging error 981 while trying to charge using the UMC with a 10A adapter (using a standard Swiss socket which are rated 230V/10A - 2.3kWh is better than nothing).

I plugged the UMC to a socket which was on the end of my extension cord. Looks like the UMC checks if it detects a significant voltage drop when testing the power line. I guess that i have a voltage drop of around +/-20V due to the long cord (~100 ft from the socket.). So I got error #981 "Charging Problem" all the time - the Roadster only reached the blinking blue status before turning to red. Finally connecting directly to another 10A socket nearby yielded no error.

So if you get #981 it's most probably due to bad wirings...

in my underground garage, i have a 50m (150ft) with 2.5mm extension cord. most i charge with 13A. I often get the error "problem with extension cord detected' but goes on with charging. i am using the standard-cabel with max. 16A.

if the voltage drops below 210 V you get the error message, but the UMC will continue charging. ( my own experience) below 200 V the UMC stops charging, will try again after 30 s and will stop finally after 5 retries. ( the tec , who did my 20.000 km maintenaince told me so )

In addition to daghb : If you use schuko sockets, you may also get contact problems with worn out schuko sockets which results in a higher resistance.