Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when Tesla gives you a 70D for a 36hr test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weekends ago I received a call from my SC asking if I wanted to take a 70D for an extended test drive. I first test drove a 70D and 85D this past May and fell in love with the car but couldn't decide between new, cpo, inventory, private seller. While the car I took didn't have all of the features I did really like the new blue exterior and gray next gen seats. I had always thought I'd be ok with the multi-pattern until I spent time in the next gens.

Here are some pics of it happily sitting in front of my house and my wife sitting in it while charging. (I had already gotten the outlet installed in May) The images really do a good job showing you how the blue looks in and out of direct sunlight.

xFr8q3X.jpg

gYeoziN.jpg

While driving the car back to Denver from Colorado Springs I noticed a Gray Tesla coming up next to me. There were 2 older women (mid to late 50's?) frantically waving with excitement to see another Tesla. After they drove past me I noted the 85D emblem and doubt around the 70D crept in. I currently own a modified Subrau STI and just a day prior, my friend was riding in the 70D with me and asked, "if you were to buy a subaru would you get a wrx or a sti? Just get the 85D".

Needless to say, I ordered a new 85D on August 31st. The order was confirmed on Sept 7th but I've selected a last Nov / early Dec delivery, which I know is a bit out of the norm for most folks here.

Soon I'll have a new S85D, Autopilot, UHF, Cold Weather, Gray Next Gen, Piano Black, with Pano. I have a lot of thing on my list to get: winter wheels and tires, xpel, opti, etc and just want to thank everybody on here for contributing to the forum and making this a great place to learn about the car, industry, and community.

Nice pics, and congrats, did you order in blue ? Deep Blue Metallic still seems quite rare out there... mine's a bit darker (cQuartz UK treatment) and I love it. Nearly impossible to keep clean though, especially with untrained passengers or guest pilots. Fingerprints everywhere. (at best -- I don't even want to think about my chrome kickplates)

While Tesla says 70D is a sweet spot for weight and efficiency, and I'm still very impressed with the car's range and abilities, in my initial 80 days I'd have put a bigger pack to use already on some occasions (though I haven't had any major setbacks), and if the 85 does faster Supercharging, particularly after the taper, as I think we determined it does, it's basically just a question of whether you can afford the extra as it's worth it.

Yes! The fingerprints were crazy on the chrome. The priorities for me are winter tires, xpel/opticoat, tint, tsportline wheels, and then wrap the chrome parts. Registration is in there too which I know will cost a pretty penny. I'm thinking of custom plates and will probably do something with the Adopt a Shelter plates in Colorado.

il_570xN.635415331_rdnm.jpg

Nice pics, and congrats, did you order in blue ? Deep Blue Metallic still seems quite rare out there... mine's a bit darker (cQuartz UK treatment) and I love it. Nearly impossible to keep clean though, especially with untrained passengers or guest pilots. Fingerprints everywhere. (at best -- I don't even want to think about my chrome kickplates)

While Tesla says 70D is a sweet spot for weight and efficiency, and I'm still very impressed with the car's range and abilities, in my initial 80 days I'd have put a bigger pack to use already on some occasions (though I haven't had any major setbacks), and if the 85 does faster Supercharging, particularly after the taper, as I think we determined it does, it's basically just a question of whether you can afford the extra as it's worth it.

A few weekends ago I received a call from my SC asking if I wanted to take a 70D for an extended test drive.

There were 2 older women (mid to late 50's?) frantically waving with excitement to see another Tesla. After they drove past me I noted the 85D emblem and doubt around the 70D crept in. I currently own a modified Subrau STI and just a day prior, my friend was riding in the 70D with me and asked, "if you were to buy a subaru would you get a wrx or a sti? Just get the 85D".

Needless to say, I ordered a new 85D on August 31st.

I suppose that for Subaru cognoscenti this story might have some meaning, but for the benefit of the rest of us, how is this illustrative of why you chose an 85D over 70D?

I have the shelter pet tags. My understanding is that if you do any personalization on those, you lose the logo. Because of this I will probably either just transfer my current tags or get new, non-personalized ones next year with the S.

Im sure they're probably going to be between $1500-2k for the first two years. Not fun.

I suppose that for Subaru cognoscenti this story might have some meaning, but for the benefit of the rest of us, how is this illustrative of why you chose an 85D over 70D?

WRX is a sporty car. (WRX) STi a sports car (in this case the sport being rally).

I have a colleague who used to own an STi. He absolutely loved it, but in the end he sold it because he doesn't like to spend on cars and couldn't handle the car being so expensive. Recently he was looking to get a car and was thinking about getting a WRX. But in the end he just got a regular Impreza.

(But after being here in Maine for a few years he got into sailing. Now he has a yacht, so definitely won't be owning an STi.)

Hello and congrats from another CO owner!

If you do customized plates on any of the "special" plates, you will lose the logo in the middle. I have the "share the road" plates on mine, and didn't go customized as I wanted to logo.

For plates, mine this year was $1,600 for my 70D.

If I didnt drive less than 100 miles per day or if the 90D had more power I'm sure it would be driving me crazy thinking about it. :)

Now about those 85D v 90D doubts you've been having....

:)

(I kid, I kid)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. That really sucks about the plates and I just read that on the application also. I was wanting to get the pet one and use the center symbol as an "O". Then I'd apply for EV LVE with the symbol between....back to the drawing board.

Hello and congrats from another CO owner!

If you do customized plates on any of the "special" plates, you will lose the logo in the middle. I have the "share the road" plates on mine, and didn't go customized as I wanted to logo.

For plates, mine this year was $1,600 for my 70D.

Regular customer? Like someone who buys a Tesla every couple of months? :)

Yes, what constitutes a regular customer? I have done a test drive and even bought a shirt for my daughter, but I don't want to stop in every week just to say hi and bother them. I would really like to drive the car for a weekend to settle any fears my wife has about owning one. Sadly the nearest store is about 115 miles away.
Trey