Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I Crazy for Not Getting Auto-Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked on the Model S Order & Delivery spreadsheet and it seems like everyone (almost) is getting the Autopilot feature. I feel like I am going to enjoy driving the car so much that it is not something I need (although it can be added for an extra $500 at any time).

Am I the only one who thinks it is not 100% necessary? Or, is this a feature that differentiates the car and I am crazy not to order?

LOL No one has AutoPilot ;)

<serious>I think that it will be one of the killer apps in the car. Even with the delays (which I knew about before purchasing) I went for it - and with a lease, so my 3 years is ticking. But I'm still optimistic and looking forward to the release.</serious>

Adaptive cruise control is well worth it. It makes driving in heavy traffic or among people with inconsistent speeds (i.e. about 99% of highway driving, at least for me) a million times nicer.

Lane keeping ought to be nice once it arrives too, but I'd get it for the adaptive cruise control alone.

On the other hand, a $500 penalty for changing your mind later isn't bad. When I ordered in December I had to decide then, the option to upgrade later wasn't available.

Adaptive cruise control is well worth it. It makes driving in heavy traffic or among people with inconsistent speeds (i.e. about 99% of highway driving, at least for me) a million times nicer.

Lane keeping ought to be nice once it arrives too, but I'd get it for the adaptive cruise control alone.

On the other hand, a $500 penalty for changing your mind later isn't bad. When I ordered in December I had to decide then, the option to upgrade later wasn't available.

Unless you're leasing. As I am. In that case the tax break plus spreading it out over the lease and only paying 40% or so of the cost makes it a no brainer to get up front

Yeah, it's pretty much a requirement.

It's one of those things you think you might be able to go without before getting the car, but once you have it and the car you realize just how essential to the driving experience it is.

The Tesla MS is a road-trip car pure and simple. More than anything else that's what it does well. I never in a million years thought I'd put 7000 miles on it within the first three months.

It's completely shocking.

Or, is this a feature that differentiates the car and I am crazy not to order?

In a word, yes.

I think you would be crazy not to order Auto-Pilot.

In addition to what everyone else has said, there's also the resale value to consider. At some point, even if it is a long way down the road, you will be selling the car. It will be a lot harder to sell a car without Auto -Pilot.

Finally, for now the penalty to add it later is only $500. But what's to say Tesla won't change their policy on that?

Get Auto-Pilot now!

If you're unsure, just drive for awhile and see if you want it. All in all, $500 is a really good deal for adaptive cruise, auto highbeams, lane keeping, auto parking, etc.

So skipping it to save $500 on an expensive car seems crazy, yes--but on the bright side, if none of this interests you right now, just hold off. You can always add later.

I am instinctively skeptical of the self driving car stuff, so when I got the auto-pilot features I did it mainly for the TACC and self dimming high beams. I live on a windy road up in the hills that is very dark at night, so the self dimming high beams is actually a very nice feature for me.