Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Quandry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went into a Tesla location to look at an inventory P85D that ended up just having been sold before I got there, so while the advisor and I were discussing other options, which after considering my budget, we had narrowed down to orderering a to spec 90D (not P) when none of the other possible inventory cars were doing it for me, a "2013" CPO P85+ that they had at the location suddenly caught my eye. It has a VIN in the 13xxx range and only has a bit over 5K miles on it. The car looks, smells and drives like new. It would be about $20k cheaper (after taking into account fed and state tax incentives) than a comparably equipped new 90D, other than I'd get the next gen seats on the new one and wouldn't have the 90D battery.

I don't really care about autopilot and, while I prefer the next gen seats, the older performance seats are adequate. I would lose the tax incentives, though. None of these issues seem like they are worth $20K, however.

The $20K savings is enticing, so I put a deposit down, but I can still change my mind for a new one if I do it soon. Am I missing anything in the analysis? Resale an issue perhaps? Is there any issue with an earlier VIN car like this that I should know about? Would I regret not going with the 90D and autopilot, etc? Again, it is a $20K delta.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

I think the P85+ is a great option. I doubt you'll regret it to the tune of $20K unless you are the type of person who needs the latest and greatest gadgets. I don't think much about AP when driving my car. I highly doubt I'd notice any major things I'd miss in a P85+ and some like the handling better anyway.

I just returned a loaner p85+ :(
It's an amazing car! My 85 is not too shabby but the p85+ is in its own league!

The handling! Everyone talked about how it's so much better, how it's M5 like, and boy were they right! The car goes where you want it to go, my 85 feels floaty, the + feels like it's on rails! Absolutely wonderful!

The acceleration will be about the same I think? Not sure but I heard these standard D's are as quick as the p85's of yesterday.

The only problem I had with it was breaking out the rear wheels (on a private track) I gave so many co workers a full launch test ride in it (on a private track of course) and every time it would spin a bit before traction kicked in, something the D might not have a problem with.

My opinion: go with the +! The 20k savings is fairly significant, at least to me it would be, and you're still getting a great car! Scratch that- AMAZING car!!!

If only I weren't so dang young I could upgrade to a +, but every time I think of doing that, I sense trouble :)

I have the 2014 + and I am in love. I specifically wanted RWD rather than AWD (not available when I bought). I also have AutoPilot. What I can say is that the two loaners I have gotten were 26XXX and 15XXX cars, presumably from 2013. The quality of my car is so superior than that year, that I tell my friends to stay away. Fit-finish, handling, seat comfort, noise, are all much better in my car, delivered as below. I don't mean to be harsh. They are just early cars working their kinks out.

As for AP: I didn't think I was interested in it. The car got it by literally only two days, in the production stream. I totally lucked out because it was free. I have come to absolutely love it. Particularly in traffic. She stops and goes on her own. I would have never thought that would be such a big deal, but when I "only" have to worry about steering, the amount of stress taken out of slow and go, bumper to bumper, and the typical inattentive driver is huge! I have lots of scary thoughts about self-steering. But the adaptive speed is wonderful.

Is this all worth 20K? That's a hard one. There were no CPOs when I ordered.

I just had a loaner P85+ this go around while Tesla worked on my car vs. the P85 I normally get (got the same one multiple times). While I'm happy with my S85, I wouldn't object to having a P85. The P85+ was NOT for me. While I noticed how much "tighter" the suspension was, it was generally smoother than the P85 since the + had air and the - had coils. However, the stiffness bugged me and reminded me driving my truck. Part of getting the Tesla was a more supply ride. My head bobbed a lot on the +. But the kicker was the stronger lateral move connection. Charlotte doesn't have the best roads and I was whipped back and forth lots in the + where I am not in the P85 or my S85. For ownership, I personally would not be happy with a +.

I saw this b/c you should definitely take a good drive with the P85+ around where you normally ride, including any rough roads. Make sure you are happy with it. The 90D would drive closer to a P85 than the P85+, so compare it well and make sure the + is for you.

For those who like the tighter, stiffer, sportier suspension, the P85+ is definitely a significant improvement over the P85. Just make sure that's what you want!

BTW, this also taught me that I would be a much happier post-April 2015 P85D owner than a pre-April 2015 P85D. Pre has the + suspension while post uses the same suspension as the rest of the lineup.

Prior to delivery of my car I had a chance to drive both a recent P85D and a 25xxx P85+ and the difference was noticeable (beyond performance). All three models had premium interior, sound, power lift, AP... pretty much fully loaded. NG seats were way more comfortable and P85+ would lose traction on dry roads if I launched. I really wasn't a fan of the old seats and it didn't have the interior I wanted so that made a difference in my opinion. It's petty, but I also didn't like how the charge port door didn't auto-close on the P85+, but that mainly annoyed me because I drove it in between the P85D and my P90D.

If I had a new car sitting next to a old P85+ and the difference was $20k I would pay the money, but that's my personal preference. I like new, but personally I think about things like the life of the battery and even if it lasts for a long time, this is still ~3 years off the total life. I also worry about if the previous owner always charged to 100%, or let it sit low. 5000 miles over 3 years is really low and that makes me curious what was happening to the car when it was not being driven. Was it plugged in all the time?

Based on what I've heard people say I don't think you would run into a lot of problems having an older model. Make sure it comes with supercharger enabled. That's like $2500 I think.

If life would be more enjoyable with the $20k (4k/yr if you borrowed) in your pocket then maybe it's worth saving the money.

I'm with Pete, you can afford it I'd say get the 90D.

I know when I first saw the autopilot demonstration I was impressed with the technology, but wasn't crazy about actually getting it...didn't see myself actually using it much. Now having had just TACC for seven months or so, I can truly say I highly recommend it.

I think the chances are far higher you'd regret not getting AP a year later than you would regret having spent the $20k

Thanks all. While I am still a little worried that I will find the suspension a bit mushy as compared to the P85+, I decided on the new 90D. I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. This forum has been invaluable over the past few weeks in helping me make up my mind about which way I wanted to go with my first Tesla. Now the wait begins...

IMHO .. Don't do it ..think resale in couple of years .. get the 90D or a 2015 P85D CPO .. yes some are there on the CPO.. I had the same deal and got a 85 heavily discounted but traded it in 6 months with min loss to get the 85D .. you will need those AP features that are not there currently.

Thanks all. While I am still a little worried that I will find the suspension a bit mushy as compared to the P85+, I decided on the new 90D. I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. This forum has been invaluable over the past few weeks in helping me make up my mind about which way I wanted to go with my first Tesla. Now the wait begins...

Did you get air suspension?

I honestly didn't notice a huge difference in P85+ suspension over my P90D.

I would have gone for the 90D.

I went into a Tesla location to look at an inventory P85D that ended up just having been sold before I got there, so while the advisor and I were discussing other options, which after considering my budget, we had narrowed down to orderering a to spec 90D (not P) when none of the other possible inventory cars were doing it for me, a "2013" CPO P85+ that they had at the location suddenly caught my eye. It has a VIN in the 13xxx range and only has a bit over 5K miles on it. The car looks, smells and drives like new. It would be about $20k cheaper (after taking into account fed and state tax incentives) than a comparably equipped new 90D, other than I'd get the next gen seats on the new one and wouldn't have the 90D battery.

I don't really care about autopilot and, while I prefer the next gen seats, the older performance seats are adequate. I would lose the tax incentives, though. None of these issues seem like they are worth $20K, however.

The $20K savings is enticing, so I put a deposit down, but I can still change my mind for a new one if I do it soon. Am I missing anything in the analysis? Resale an issue perhaps? Is there any issue with an earlier VIN car like this that I should know about? Would I regret not going with the 90D and autopilot, etc? Again, it is a $20K delta.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!