Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how do you fill washer fluid with no spills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(LMB spouse)

Yeah funnel, but even with a funnel it's awkward and you have to pour slowly unless it's quiet enough to hear splashing getting near the top of the filler pipe. I'm thinking of 3D printing a funnel with an integral "bobber" to let me know when the level is almost full. Not sure if the alcohol in the washer fluid will dissolve ABS plastic though.

Reactions: Tezzie
Just had to fill the washer fluid on my MS, its not in a good location for a jug of fluid to pour so I got some clear tubing and syphon it in with no spills.
Has anyone come up with a better way?

How do you fill washer fluid with no spills? Carefully. That's how ;) Sorry I couldn't resist. In reality, I use a pitcher of filtered water from the house. That way no hard water stains from hose water.

Use magical wizard powers, or a flexible cup.

You may want to try pouring some into a large, flexible cup and then pouring it in that way. You can get them free if you get a large drink from a fast food place, or just use a paper cup carefully. It should go without saying to wash it out thoroughly first ;).

Just had to fill the washer fluid on my MS, its not in a good location for a jug of fluid to pour so I got some clear tubing and syphon it in with no spills.
Has anyone come up with a better way?

I fill it all the time with the gallon jug and nothing else. I don't worry about the table spoon or so that spills when I start the pour. It runs down along the fill spout and is contained by the plastic trim. If I do spill a bit I wipe it up with a towel. Alternately you could put a towel around the neck to catch the dribbles.

I make sure I top ours off before going in for service. I only use rain-X washer fluid and don't like the stuff the service center puts in.

As for how often does it need filled, in the north east I can easily go through a gallon each month in the winter depending on road conditions. I have used a gallon before in one day driving hundreds of miles in the right kind of slop.

I take 4-5 pieces of paper from the recycle and I fold them in a cone creating a paper funnel.
funnel.jpg

I have not received delivery of my S, but I have seen the location of the reservoir. Since I only use Distilled water, a few drips will not be an issue. Until I saw this thread, it looked like I could just pour directly from the gallon bottle.
LOL to the thought of putting distilled water in my windshield washer reservoir (here in Canada) - it would be useless for the next 6-7 months! :)

I've just "gone for it" when pouring in but always spill so I then use a rag to clean up. Kind of silly that the ONE AND ONLY fluid we need to access is located in such an awkward spot.