Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

non-leather seat option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the seats are fine, anything non-leather/non-vinyl is probably ok by me. I hate sitting in leather, only place it's ok is on my wife ;)

#1 TMI, #2 I don't foresee them putting this car out with cloth seats. Even in the base model I think they may try to go with something a bit higher, and I'm almost certain there will be some sort of leather at the top end. Personally, I used to dislike leather, but now wouldn't have it any other way.

#1 TMI, #2 I don't foresee them putting this car out with cloth seats. Even in the base model I think they may try to go with something a bit higher, and I'm almost certain there will be some sort of leather at the top end. Personally, I used to dislike leather, but now wouldn't have it any other way.

All the comparable cars here in Europe (like the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E) is available with cloth seats so I don't see why Tesla wouldn't do the same. This car will attract a lot of buyers that want a long range EV but are less interested in luxury features. It would thus be a mistake to load even the base trim model up with lots of expensive options as standard (like leather, electric seats, high end stereo systems etc.).

If leather is the only option I will probably pass on the Model S and wait for the Bluestar or Leaf 2.0.

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes has a "pleather" (fake leather) as an option, and real leather as an upgrade option (standard for the high end S and CL coupes). Most of the cars rolling off the lot have the pleather, and if TM has access to that, I don't see why they wouldn't use that instead of the cloth, which definitely looks and feels cheaper than the pleather. This is supposed to be a luxury car, and I think they'll want to go in the leather/pleather direction. Perhaps if it isn't as big a deal overseas they could allow for cloth seats in cars built for Europe and Asia.

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes has a "pleather" (fake leather) as an option, and real leather as an upgrade option (standard for the high end S and CL coupes). Most of the cars rolling off the lot have the pleather, and if TM has access to that, I don't see why they wouldn't use that instead of the cloth, which definitely looks and feels cheaper than the pleather. This is supposed to be a luxury car, and I think they'll want to go in the leather/pleather direction. Perhaps if it isn't as big a deal overseas they could allow for cloth seats in cars built for Europe and Asia.

When the Roadster was first offered they were caught off guard by strong environmentalists asking for non leather interior. Since I'm not a fan of leather seats in the hot sweaty summer months I too asked for a cloth version. Too bad the micro fiber they chose was inferior grade and extra expensive.

Fake leather is possibly even worse than leather. I want a fabric that breathes and is non-slippery, not hot in the summer and cold in the winter, not needing any maintenance etc.

Why must it be a luxury car ? Because of the price ? Then must any long-range EV be a luxury car since the big battery cost a lot and puts the car in the price range of other luxury cars ? I don't get that. I don't need/want more luxury than any VW or Toyota can offer. Please make different trim levels, like one basic (with cloth seats), one mid-range and one top of the line for the luxury people...

Fake leather is possibly even worse than leather. I want a fabric that breathes and is non-slippery, not hot in the summer and cold in the winter, not needing any maintenance etc.

Why must it be a luxury car ? Because of the price ? Then must any long-range EV be a luxury car since the big battery cost a lot and puts the car in the price range of other luxury cars ? I don't get that. I don't need/want more luxury than any VW or Toyota can offer. Please make different trim levels, like one basic (with cloth seats), one mid-range and one top of the line for the luxury people...

AFAIK this was always supposed to be more of a luxury car (look at the brands they intend to compete with). The next car (bluestar) will be the cheaper, every day thing. You're really going to pass on the car because of leather(ette) seats?

AFAIK this was always supposed to be more of a luxury car (look at the brands they intend to compete with). The next car (bluestar) will be the cheaper, every day thing. You're really going to pass on the car because of leather(ette) seats?

There is two thing I really want, cloth seats and a hitch. If they fail on delivering one of them I will probably still get the car. If they fail on both then very probably no. It's a lot of money and I want a car that fulfills my needs. No hitch means I'd have to trade cars with my parents a lot, leather means I don't like very much to sit in the car I paid $100k (or thereabouts) for.

Bluestar might be late to the party, Nissan has hinted of a Leaf 2.0 in 2014/15 with 200-mile range. That will probably be enough for us, since there will be more chargers on the roads at that time. And Nissan doesn't even offer leather, though they should offer a dark interior in addition to the unpratical light one they have now.

There is also a lot of people on the Tesla forum that want no leather in their cars. And since it was possible to get cloth seats in a $120k car (the Roadster) I don't see why they wouldn't offer it in a car half the price.

jkirk, is the exterior look of the vehicle not important to you?

You'd pass on the Model S in favour of an EV that looks a bit like a fishbowl just because the manufacturer didn't offer microfibre / cloth seats?

I can understand the hitch rationale if you absolutely need to haul a trailer, but...

There is two thing I really want, cloth seats and a hitch. If they fail on delivering one of them I will probably still get the car. If they fail on both then very probably no. It's a lot of money and I want a car that fulfills my needs. No hitch means I'd have to trade cars with my parents a lot, leather means I don't like very much to sit in the car I paid $100k (or thereabouts) for.

Bluestar might be late to the party, Nissan has hinted of a Leaf 2.0 in 2014/15 with 200-mile range. That will probably be enough for us, since there will be more chargers on the roads at that time. And Nissan doesn't even offer leather, though they should offer a dark interior in addition to the unpratical light one they have now.

There is also a lot of people on the Tesla forum that want no leather in their cars. And since it was possible to get cloth seats in a $120k car (the Roadster) I don't see why they wouldn't offer it in a car half the price.

There is also a lot of people on the Tesla forum that want no leather in their cars.

I do not want leather either. Cloth or pleather would work. Would prefer a good pleather that is as durable as leather.

Tesla will become the De facto green car company and as such, should consider the environment, of which factory farming plays a massive role. Offering alternatives to leather will facilitate the purchase decision to those who would otherwise not have considered one due to limited choices.

Nope, not here.

Much prefer leather to faux leather...leather looks better (to me) and is far easier to keep clean than cloth in my experience.

Although there are those who wish to push the all of the environmental envelopes to the max currently, I feel that by driving hybrids for the last 5 years and an EV now (with my last ICE vehicle to be purged upon the arrival of the Model S), I'm more than doing my part.

I'll not be pushed by the environmental "correctness police" to give up my leather seats anytime soon.

jkirk, is the exterior look of the vehicle not important to you?

You'd pass on the Model S in favour of an EV that looks a bit like a fishbowl just because the manufacturer didn't offer microfibre / cloth seats?

I can understand the hitch rationale if you absolutely need to haul a trailer, but...

?
C2007102122111652935_woolskin_rug_sheepskin_car_seat_covers.jpg
:)

Hey V, have you ever owned a vehicle with forced air heating & cooling of the front seats?

Both of my Lexus have the perforated leather seats with this feature...even though I'm located far further north than you folks (and use the seat heater more often I'd guess), I'd trade the heated seats in a minute for the comfort of forced air, A/C cooled seats in our short summer up here...to me, it's the ultimate in summer driving comfort!

When the Roadster was first offered they were caught off guard by strong environmentalists asking for non leather interior. Since I'm not a fan of leather seats in the hot sweaty summer months I too asked for a cloth version. Too bad the micro fiber they chose was inferior grade and extra expensive.

Last edited:
Nope, not here.

Much prefer leather to faux leather...leather looks better (to me) and is far easier to keep clean than cloth in my experience.

Although there are those who wish to push the all of the environmental envelopes to the max currently, I feel that by driving hybrids for the last 5 years and an EV now (with my last ICE vehicle to be purged upon the arrival of the Model S), I'm more than doing my part.

I'll not be pushed by the environmental "correctness police" to give up my leather seats anytime soon.

hear here!

Not sure I care about leather or not. Hot and sticky in the summer, cold in the winter is a valid complaint. I've had microfibre and leather and I'm probably good either way. My microfiber seats seemed to wear better, while the leather got cracks and started to flake near the cracks after a few years.