Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REPLY TO THREAD must die!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're holding it wrong ;)

Have you tried a different PC and /or browser? Can't say I've seen this happen before, but it does sound like a browser / plugin issue.

I don't think it's a browser issue. The problem is when you do a quick reply, there are two buttons, "Post Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread". If you pick the wrong one (the second one), it takes you to another page and you lose what you've typed.

reply.png

I don't think it's a browser issue. The problem is when you do a quick reply, there are two buttons, "Post Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread". If you pick the wrong one (the second one), it takes you to another page and you lose what you've typed.
If you go back, isn't the saved text there?

This is about the 50th time that I've typed a reply to a thread, then hit the REPLY TO THREAD button and seen my lovingly composed text vanish into the bit bucket, replaced by a new BLANK text field.

1. Try composing your response in text editor, like evernote. If you do that, than your response will be safely stored in evernote for copying it infinite times anywhere you wish.

2. Go back to the same thread, open up Reply to thread window and the bluish auto save/restore button is on the bottom left corner of the window. Click auto restore button to recover the post contents.

Restore.JPG

3. If something does not work after few attempts, it might be an idea to try a different approach. I find it helpful to tackle problems with patience, it is my experience that most problems just dissolve into oblivion when approached patiently

Just a thought - um...since there are two options and we've discovered the second one is (always) the wrong one, then I think we should try the first one? :wink:

P.S. Been there, done that. If I feel that what I'm typing is super intuitive/important/illuminating then I'll copy it just in case I have a brain fart when I get to the end of it and push the wrong button. Or...REPLY TO THREAD must die!

this has happened to me MANY MANY MANY times, and yes it is VERY frustrating. NO the text is not saved either. I have got so accustumed to it that when I'm finished typing, my brainwashed mind always hits ctrl-a, ctrl-c to copy everything into clipboard memory, THEN i click the reply button. I do this process on every post I make, and I make lots of posts (what am I now, 5300+ posts? lol).

this forum can be very frustrating...any help is appreciated! Jeff

JeffT,

New member limitations will be lifted once you have more messages (less than a dozen, more than a few). You will see an edit button appear under your messages when the limitation is lifted. Until then, I don't recommend adding links or photos to your messages because they will be stuck until a moderator manually approves them which could take a long time. If you don't include a link, your message will appear instantly.

I agree with you that it is frustrating. This website should tell new users that new accounts are limited and adding links requires moderator approval. This information should be communicated to new users before they write a long message and it gets stuck for hours or days. If the user knew that a link would make his entire message invisible until approval, he might chose not to include the link which would be far less annoying than posting a message and seeing a warning that says, "your message will appear once its approved by a moderator".

Users see that warning pop-up after they have posted a message that includes a link. There are two problems with this: Firstly, the pop-up message is still unclear. It doesn't explain that the message was stuck because it included a link. Secondly, the message that the person just wrote is now lost. If he somehow figured out that removing the link is a good idea, he still has to re-type the whole thing. One of those yellow bars on top would reduce the frustration.

Last edited:

View attachment 94329
Why would you repeatedly pick the wrong one??? Once you make a mistake why would you not learn from said mistake and not repeat it consistently?

Why would you repeatedly pick the wrong one??? Once you make a mistake why would you not learn from said mistake and not repeat it consistently?

easier said than done. the button says 'reply to thread' which is the act that you're trying to do. its very misleading especially since the result of clicking it will be the loss of your entire reply.

the easy solution is to hide the 'reply to thread' button when you are already replying to the thread. it doesn't make sense to keep it there.

This is about the 50th time that I've typed a reply to a thread, then hit the REPLY TO THREAD button and seen my lovingly composed text vanish into the bit bucket, replaced by a new BLANK text field. Something needs to be done about this! Please!!

Just wondering if you're left-handed? In all seriousness, I empathize but I personally never feel any need to move all the way across to the left side to make the final click.