Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Momentum Shifting??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me an optimist, but my sense of things over the past few weeks has been to suggest that a momentum shift is starting to become noticeable.

California's bill SB 350 - "Clean Energy and Reduction Act"

Obama 'running wild' with Bear Grylls

Saudi Arabia pushing into solar power

Russia mandating EV charging plugs at all gas stations by November 2016 (I did NOT see that one coming!!!)

and last but certainly not least, WK057 has his solar array pumping at full capacity! :biggrin:

Maybe it's just chance that all these things have happened so close together, or made the news, but it really seems to me that the reality of our situation is finally dawning on the average citizen. Still a long way to go, but it feels like the tide is finally beginning to turn.

Am I the only one feeling it?

I'm definitely in the pessimist camp... really, really, really wish things were better... hiding complete and utter contempt for ~99% of the 'people' I interact with is absolutely exhausting and demoralizing....

“Climate change keeps me up at night. Everywhere I look there are opportunities to be addressing climate change and everywhere I look we are not doing it. And by ‘we’ I mean not just humankind writ large but my United States where I grew up, where I went to engineering school, where I worked as an engineer trying to make the world better for somebody. And we are missing all these opportunities. It’s just crazy making.” - Bill Nye

I'm definitely in the pessimist camp... really, really, really wish things were better... hiding complete and utter contempt for ~99% of the 'people' I interact with is absolutely exhausting and demoralizing....
Believe me, I get it. Driving with zero emissions behind a string of jacked up 4x4 trucks carrying campers, each dragging a wake boat designed to be inefficient and make a big wake... gallons of fuel going up in smoke... I see this every time I hit the Trans Canada Highway during the summer months and it makes my head want to explode. They might as well have a sign on the back that says "Our enjoyment of eating Smor's by a lake in a crowd of other campers is more important than attempting to leave a planet inhabitable by our kids."

But if we don't have hope, it seems rather pointless to make any attempt to improve things. I can't live like that. Some days I feel like you do, but on others I see the glass more half full than empty. We just have to keep on keepin' on.

Today I feel that there has been more positive news than usual and I'll take that...

No -- at least not at the federal level. There is no seriousness or sense of urgency. I'd go even further and say there's no sense of urgency at the international level either. If there was, we'd have major efforts underway to develop nuclear fusion reactors. We'd have a Manhattan Project for fusion, an Apollo Program for fusion.

If we'd been serious about this, we could have had fusion reactors generating power by 2000 and today be laughing about that silly old global warming scare.

Instead we have all this piddly stuff like wind turbines and solar panels. . . which is sort of like slapping a band-aid on a bullet wound.

But if we don't have hope, it seems rather pointless to make any attempt to improve things. I can't live like that. Some days I feel like you do, but on others I see the glass more half full than empty. We just have to keep on keepin' on.

Today I feel that there has been more positive news than usual and I'll take that...

Agreed; Sometimes it can be difficult to celebrate the small victories. No matter how hopeless the outcome appears... I know I will never give up.

f97aafb432b1c4a092a87f5ab426970b.jpg