Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 Miles attempt ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy. Impressive, but crazy. I'm surprised he didn't plug his laptop and phone into the car. The additional energy use would be practically irrelevant. As it is it looks like he had 20-ish rated miles left when he arrived at the super charger.

When I saw Bjorn's 450mi record, I considered retrying myself, using lessons learned from my 400.7mi drive to push further, but with RWD and 70k mi on my odometer, I never could've achieved what Casey has done. Wow.

Congrats Casey and congrats Tesla Motors! This achievement shows that the Model S is capable of some amazing feats and that the future of EVs is bright.

550.3 mi in 26 hrs (~21mph)

3ZyJDy7.jpg

Source: Casey_S comments on The Fight to 500 - I'm going to try to break 500 miles. And you're coming with me.

P.S. Thanks for saving me from the nagging urge to spend a full day in my car attempting something insane! :)

Congrats on the record! However, I would like to see the route on a map and see how much elevation drop it was. I also heard on the video that he was riding on 8 mph and a whopping 30 mph tail wind. That helps quite a lot. Almost too much. As for our P85D record, we did make a point that our start and stop position would be the same to compensate for elevation and wind. But that's a different story now :)

550 is no small feat, but since nobody has set criteria for these attempts, some have been done under conditions that balanced for environment like Bjorn's feat and this one which used altitude and wind to his advantage. No matter how it is done, just sitting in a car for over 20 hours with no HVAC and driving 20-25 mph is grueling on the body and an achievement all in itself.

Maybe there should be two classes for these records, Balanced External Environment, and Unlimited.

I would think the elevation drop right at the beginning would be less efficient than later in the drive. At the beginning the batteries are charged to 100% and the Tesla charging system is not as efficient when the batteries are near 100% then when lower. So some of the regen at the start might have been lost. Though it probably wasn't much all told if he made 550 miles.

Hey fellas. Thanks for the congratulations. For the record, no performance enhancing pee bottles were involved during the attempt - I'm just pretty good at going into a meditative state and blocking everything out, which is also how I managed to tolerate driving solo for 26 hours. Though the second I stepped out of the car those 5 bottles of water I drank caught up to me.

550 is no small feat, but since nobody has set criteria for these attempts, some have been done under conditions that balanced for environment like Bjorn's feat and this one which used altitude and wind to his advantage. No matter how it is done, just sitting in a car for over 20 hours with no HVAC and driving 20-25 mph is grueling on the body and an achievement all in itself.

Maybe there should be two classes for these records, Balanced External Environment, and Unlimited.

I would think the elevation drop right at the beginning would be less efficient than later in the drive. At the beginning the batteries are charged to 100% and the Tesla charging system is not as efficient when the batteries are near 100% then when lower. So some of the regen at the start might have been lost. Though it probably wasn't much all told if he made 550 miles.

I agree completely. Before I even looked into possible routes, I searched high and low - including here - for any generally agreed upon rules to hypermiling records, and found zilch. The previous records haven't been representative of the real world either, so I thought, why not just try to push the car as far as I possibly can? To that end, I'd say Bjorn and Morgan still have claim to the lap record, I've set the first endurance record.

I consumed enough energy before cresting the hill at the first descent that the regen was still helpful. Considering it was also 40°, the regen quickly warmed up the battery and increased efficiency for the rest of the night.