Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So went to look at configuration options again this morning and two new renderings (I don't think they are photos) showed up:

ui_category_standard_equipment_2.jpg

ui_category_standard_equipment_3.jpg

Nice. Looks like photos to me. 2nd row appears to slide all the way forward but not under the front seats. This may be the step in solution for accessing the 3rd row too. This solution does allow for 3 child seats to be used in the 2nd row without block access to the 3rd row.

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm one that was more concerned about being forced to get performance over seat folding/storage space, but these renderings actually have me a bit concerned. There looks to be less utility than a Model S there (especially since to get that space it looks like the second row tilts down, so not like you could actually still have some use for that row).

Also looks like the third row may have the next gen bolsters causing it not to fold fully flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. Looks like photos to me.

Really? Looks like CGI to me.

I'm torn, but leaning toward photos because of the ground and shadows from what appear to be trees in the shot with the packages. There's some weird pixelation on the packages though that make them look a bit photoshopped.

Wow - that's surprisingly little space. So this really is just a jacked up Model S and not actually the bigger and more flexible SUV that many of us have been hoping for. The second picture clearly show that no one can sit in the second row there.
I can't wait to see the comparisons of actually usable space between a Model S with seats folded down and the X with second row squished forward. You appear to have a little more vertical space but about the same horizontal space.
Again. Wow. I'm getting ready for a massive disappointment.

Called it!

Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 7 - Middle of the page.

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm one that was more concerned about being forced to get performance over seat folding/storage space, but these renderings actually have me a bit concerned. There looks to be less utility than a Model S there (especially since to get that space it looks like the second row tilts down, so not like you could actually still have some use for that row).

Also looks like the third row may have the next gen bolsters causing it not to fold fully flat.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm torn, but leaning toward photos because of the ground and shadows from what appear to be trees in the shot with the packages. There's some weird pixelation on the packages though that make them look a bit photoshopped.

Wow - that's surprisingly little space. So this really is just a jacked up Model S and not actually the bigger and more flexible SUV that many of us have been hoping for....
Again. Wow. I'm getting ready for a massive disappointment.

I'm keeping an open mind but I think we'll be waiting at least until the 29th before finally pulling the trigger. BTW, reason for cautious optimism this was in the email last night:
Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 11.10.48 AM.png

"...even more practical than a typical SUV in every way" possibly means something more than we're seeing here so far.

I guess the question now turns to practicality. There is obviously a big gap between the folded 3rd row and the 'stowed' second row; you can see that Tesla filled it with parcels which look nice and neat. If I'm transporting my dogs how do I stop them falling down there? "Mind the gap! Woof!"

That is a point I've visualized for a while ... thinking how they may believe this is better than folding flat because you can put tall things there.

[update: Note sure why they didn't hang that front wheel over the edge of the 3rd seat. Looks like there is 1.5' there.]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/tcE5xMT.png
tcE5xMT.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/017nBBA.jpg
017nBBA.jpg

Thanks Nigel for posting these pictures! This just confirms what I said earlier that Tesla does monitor these forums (one way or another). I think these new images are a clear reaction to 2nd-row-gate (not as serious as Apple's antenna-gate). I think it's great that they did this, and I hope they keep it up.

I'm keeping an open mind but I think we'll be waiting at least until the 29th before finally pulling the trigger. BTW, reason for cautious optimism this was in the email last night:
View attachment 94229

"...even more practical than a typical SUV in every way" possibly means something more than we're seeing here so far.
Reality distortion field, anyone?
But just in the interest of full disclosure - I'll be holding on to my reservation until I can test drive the real thing.
Because let's face it - the Model S has many shortcomings. Yet it's the most amazing car (err, two cars) that I've ever owned.
So maybe I will convince myself that I really didn't need all this space and that the falcon doors make sense and all that...
I posted the two pictures in the other thread, but I'll do it here, too, because I think it so sums up what I'm thinking:
2ndrownow.jpg
2ndrow.png

- - - Updated - - -

That is a point I've visualized for a while ... thinking how they may believe this is better than folding flat because you can put tall things there.
That's one way of looking at it...
[update: Note sure why they didn't hang that front wheel over the edge of the 3rd seat. Looks like there is 1.5' there.]
I think because they don't want to rub people's noses in the fact that this isn't a flat surface as we were lead to believe...