Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New range estimate of 250? (9/14)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got invited to configure tonight and I don't recall a conversation saying that the range had changed since the 240 miles quoted in the first few design studios shots that were posted. This is what I see now:
Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 10.56.26 PM.png

approx what is your sig number?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. Would ludicrous mode have any impact on that? I'm assuming since 0-60 in the above configuration is 3.8 seconds, that you didn't get the ludicrous mode option.

I have 'Ludicrous' selected; that graphic didn't change. Mark_Z's original post showed a different graphic.

- - - Updated - - -

What does the 90D version show or are all the signature cars P90D?
All Sig cars are Performance.

I checked some of the original configuration screens in another thread and indeed they did say 240 miles for the configuration Nigel has above. It looks like you opted for the 22 inch wheels, so perhaps Tesla was being very conservative with their 240 mile EPA range initially. If you opted for the 20 inch wheels, then maybe that is the difference. If you do have the 22's then it looks like some more good news on the Model X range front!

I checked some of the original configuration screens in another thread and indeed they did say 240 miles for the configuration Nigel has above. It looks like you opted for the 22 inch wheels, so perhaps Tesla was being very conservative with their 240 mile EPA range initially. If you opted for the 20 inch wheels, then maybe that is the difference. If you do have the 22's then it looks like some more good news on the Model X range front!

The graphic showed 250 before I configured and remained the same after I had chosen 22" wheels. I'm cautiously assuming good news.

Or maybe they're getting sick of all tbe sig reservations they've asked to configure asking for the option to downgrade to the non performnace version for better range and the "estimate" hasn't really changed. ;-)

Yes, I confess to having recently become a bit jaded to Tesla's word regarding how much better than the prototype the production X will be.

Congrats Nigel. The EPA estimate is a combination of town and highway mileage and therefore uses the large rear motor a lot (even though the speed may be slower). Highway mileage alone hopefully will be better since the more efficient front motor will be used primarily (even with performance and ludicrous options) . Lower rolling resistance 20" tires should help as well (but not look as good :). At least those are my hopes!

This is good to see, though it has me wondering how much better the Non P will be. So I did some toying...

Model S P85D = 253 EPA (from the design studio)
90kwh upgrade is said to add ~6% range = 268 EPA

So that puts the Model X P90D at approximately 18 miles below the Model S P90D.

Taking that to a non P:

Model S 85D = 270 EPA (17 mile increase)
Model S 90D = 286 (6% increase estimate)

If we extrapolate quickly and bring those 18 miles over, that would mean a Model X 90D would be around 268 miles range.

I could deal with that as it would put me on equal footing with the Model S I already have (and am used to).