Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired Reviews P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
doug-show1.jpg

6715691973_bca11f829f.jpg

Am I reading this wrong?

"In the meantime, the Model S offers adaptive cruise control that makes highway driving way more pleasant, and a lane keeping feature that steers you back if you start to drift out of your lane. That bit overcorrects, so if you take your hands off the wheel, the Model S will carom down the highway bouncing from one side of the lane to the other, Pong-style."

The way the author describes it, it's as if this car has lane keeping and he actually tried it.

Am I reading this wrong?

"In the meantime, the Model S offers adaptive cruise control that makes highway driving way more pleasant, and a lane keeping feature that steers you back if you start to drift out of your lane. That bit overcorrects, so if you take your hands off the wheel, the Model S will carom down the highway bouncing from one side of the lane to the other, Pong-style."

The way the author describes it, it's as if this car has lane keeping and he actually tried it.

I think he's talking about the lane-departure warning feature, since he clearly states that Auotpilot ("autonomous highway driving that will keep the car in its lane") is late and isn't available yet, just one paragraph before the one you quoted:

Tesla says that sometime soon, it will use an over-the-air software update to give the Model S “autopilot,” a limited take on autonomous highway driving that will keep the car in its lane and a safe distance from other cars. The feature is, however, behind schedule, like just about everything Tesla does, given Musk’s propensity for over-promising.

I think he's talking about the lane-departure warning feature, since he clearly states that Auotpilot ("autonomous highway driving that will keep the car in its lane") is late and isn't available yet, just one paragraph before the one you quoted:

It's just a weird sentence. Lane departure warning doesn't do any correcting, much less over-correcting, and couldn't possibly lead to ping-ponging down the road.

Am I reading this wrong?

This was brought up a couple of weeks ago here:

Wired of P85D, and I'm tired of reviews focusing on the 0 to 60 time

The author must have been confused about something.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just a weird sentence. Lane departure warning doesn't do any correcting, much less over-correcting, and couldn't possibly lead to ping-ponging down the road.

I just sent the author the following email message:

I’m wondering if you would please clear something up for me and others discussing your article on the Tesla Motors Cub Forums.

In your article, you wrote:

--
Tesla says that sometime soon, it will use an over-the-air software update to give the Model S “autopilot,” a limited take on autonomous highway driving that will keep the car in its lane and a safe distance from other cars. The feature is, however, behind schedule, like just about everything Tesla does, given Musk’s propensity for over-promising.
In the meantime, the Model S offers adaptive cruise control that makes highway driving way more pleasant, and a lane keeping feature that steers you back if you start to drift out of your lane. That bit overcorrects, so if you take your hands off the wheel, the Model S will carom down the highway bouncing from one side of the lane to the other, Pong-style.
--

We are most interested in the last two sentences above. The lane keeping auto pilot feature isn’t available yet. Currently the car does have “lane departure warning”, but that feature will not provide any steering. So we’re really wondering what you meant when you wrote that lest sentence above about the feature overcorrecting when the driver’s hands are off the wheel, causing the car to carom down the highway, bouncing from side to side.

It would be great if you could clear that up for us. I’ll post the fact that I’m writing to you in a thread where this is being discussed, and with your permission, will also post your response there.

Thanks very much!

OMG the seat belts are one the few things that drive me nuts in the MS. If you are not skinny or if you are pregnant, they will rub their edge on your neck the entire time. That being said, I hope if they do make them adjustable, that they leave the vertical portion of the belt protected from the wind of an open window like it is now. I love driving in nice weather with the windows down and the vertical portion can make quite a bit of noise if exposed.

OMG the seat belts are one the few things that drive me nuts in the MS. If you are not skinny or if you are pregnant, they will rub their edge on your neck the entire time. That being said, I hope if they do make them adjustable, that they leave the vertical portion of the belt protected from the wind of an open window like it is now. I love driving in nice weather with the windows down and the vertical portion can make quite a bit of noise if exposed.

I highly recommend these:

Amazon.com: Masterlink Marketing Black Seatbelt Adjuster, (Pack of 2): Automotive

I can't take credit for finding them myself. Someone on TMC recommended them. I bought them, and they help quite a bit.