Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking forum help on choosing new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone,

My factory stock Michelin Primacy tires will need to be replaced in the next 5,000-10,000 miles and I was wondering if I could get feedback and opinions from forum members on good tires. I've searched this forum and have also done a lot of research online, and I thought I should start my own thread because I'm looking for some specific feedback. I really do appreciate everyone's help and thank all of you wonderful people in advance for helping me out.

First, let me say that I like a comfortable ride. However, sometimes I wonder what I'm giving up in terms of performance for that comfortable ride, and whether there is a much better performing tire that will still give me quiet comfort. The Primacy is a grand touring tire, but I'm leaning towards either UHP all-season or max performance summer tires. I live in the Phoenix area, so need to cope with torrential rain a handful of times each year. My cars have seen light snow maybe once or twice in the last 10 years.

My dissatisfaction with the Primacies stems from the fact that they tramline like crazy on certain sections of freeway, and they are not particularly forgiving of road imperfections. The ride feels a little rough and they are also quite noisy on some of the rougher pavement around town. Expansion joints and cracks in the road feel much more pronounced than they should - the Primacies seem to do a good job of transmitting all of that feedback into the cabin.

I drive a 2013 P85 on 19" factory wheels.

Here are the tires that I'm considering, I'd love some feedback from other members on whether they like or dislike the following:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - Max performance summer
  • Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - UHP all-season
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Max performance summer, but only available in 255 width (stock is 245)
  • BFgoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S - Max performance summer
  • Dunlop Signature HP - UHP all-season
  • Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position - Max performance summer
​The tire that has the best reviews and feedback seems to be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but it's only available in a 255/45R19 versus the factory spec of 245/45R19. Would there be any down sides to installing the 255 variety? Can this tire be installed on the stock 19" wheels, and can anyone with this setup provide feedback on whether there is rubbing on the wheel wells? I suspect the answer is yes, but I'm hoping maybe that's not the case.

My second choice would be the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, but it's not a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire. Will I sacrifice a lot of range with a non-LRR tire? The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is pretty close to the PS3 in performance, but it's also not LRR.

Tire Rack gave good reviews for noise and ride quality to the Dunlop Signature HP and said the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S offers excellent dry and wet traction. The G-Force has a much more aggressive and directional tread pattern which looks impressive, but wondering if that translates into any real-world advantages? Seems like there is much more rubber in contact with the road in the G-Force than in the others.

It's so difficult trying to make sense of all the different ratings, sizes, and tire types, especially when I don't really have experience with anything but the Michelin Primacies. Whatever I choose I will have to live with for many thousands of miles, so I'm trying to avoid making an expensive mistake.

Would I be sacrificing much comfort and noise isolation by going with a summer tire? Would summer tires perform well year-round here in Phoenix, even if we get frost maybe one week out of the year? Do summer tires cause much reduction in range, assuming one that is not LRR?

I've spent days researching, reading reviews, and watching videos online. The process has left me quite confused as to what is best for someone in my situation. Help! :)

I replaced my Michelin Primacy MXM4s with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S and they are fantastic tires. More grip than the Primacies and they are low rolling resistance (they have the GreenX on the sidewall). I have the ZR rated ones. My wh/mile has not changed since I got them.

Before I got the Pilots there just happen to be a set of used Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season's that were the exact right size that came off of a brand new Mustang at Discount Tire. They had less than 1000 miles on the and I got the whole set for $350 balanced/mounted. OMG they were absolutely horrible. They reduced by range by almost 20%, were "skiddery" and lacked traction. They would actually hop and skid when I took off fast. They wondered around on the road, very noisy and were borderline frightening. I took them back after a coupe weeks and got the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S and have been very happy with them.

I was also interested in the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2s not the AS version. They are not LRR but are cheap and have good reviews, very tempting. I might try a set next time. (I have dedicated winters already).

I have no opinion on the Dunlop, never had any or actually talked to anyone who has had a set.

Bridgestone = Firestone = garbage, I would never put those on any of my vehicles, even if they were free.

Check out the Hancook Ventus V12 Evo2s
it gets great reviews in all tire rack categories

On 4/7/15 Tesla Dania Beach installed 4 new Conti Silent 21's on my Tesla at 37,214 miles with 9/32 tread depth. A few days ago, on 9/11/15 and 42,426 miles Tesla Tampa measured 3/32 on both rear tires and 7/32 on both front tires. The rear's went down from 9/32 to 3/32 after 5,212 miles. I'm going to rotate the tires front to rear but I guess in no more than 10,000 miles I have to replace all 4 again. While they are considerably less noisy, the wear is awful in my mind. I'm going to put Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 back on which I had before. The different noise level does NOT justify the price difference. You can buy those 21's at discountedwheelwarehouse.com for $191.92 each and get a $80 mail-in rebate from Hankook if you purchase 4 before 9/30/15.

I replaced my Michelin Primacy MXM4s with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S and they are fantastic tires. More grip than the Primacies and they are low rolling resistance (they have the GreenX on the sidewall). I have the ZR rated ones. My wh/mile has not changed since I got them.

Amped, I know you've been following my feedback in other threads but I'll say here too, I second this statement ^^^^. Talking strictly 19" here, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a far superior tire to the OEM goodyears, the OEM primacies, and the Cinturato P7 A/S plus. I've driven on all. 45k miles on the OEM goodyears, loaners with the primacies, and 35k on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 255/45ZR19s (would have got more if my alignment didnt go bad), and now 4k miles on 255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus.

There is no noticeable range difference with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 vs OEM, and I drive on them HARD. Reading some reviews online to from what I can tell the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 even outranked summer performance tires in terms of their grip.

I think you need to consider this tire.... The Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus

Pretty much ranks as the highest regarded Grand Turismo tire, almost all reviews are 5 star, Low Rolling Resistance, Low Noise, Eco Friendly Compound, here is the TireRack data....

if you value traction, DO NOT GET THIS TIRE. the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus CANNOT hold grip for the torque of the MS, especially the Perf models. I regret buying this tire and I hope the only good that comes out of it is that they last 70k miles. My P85 is now crippled since it cannot hold dry traction under full accel. Its fine in the rain but thats about it. havent driven in the snow yet. Its worth noting that I will NOT ever buy this tire again. That speaks for itself. I will go back to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 when I'm done with the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus. Also when I switch back, I'll get a dedicated winter tire. you'll be fine in arizona light snow with the Michelins, but northern central NY for me i'll need more.

Why aren't you considering 245/40/19 Pilot Super Sports? 5% of an aspect ratio isn't the end of the world. I haven't driven them, but by extension the people favoring them over PS2 has to imply even greater superiority to PS3. They may be ~1% smaller diameter, ~1% overstated mph. No clearance issues.

A slightly lower profile might firm things up a little, for those thinking Tesla has gone too soft.

I've got 21's and run the Hankooks. I am very happy with them. But since we are in a drought, I have had no chance to run them in the rain. They hook up fast, handle great and are are so much quieter than the stock Michi's. Good to hear about the fast wear of the Conti silents. I was considering them for my next set. But may well rethink that after miemrich's comments.

I've got 21's and run the Hankooks. I am very happy with them. But since we are in a drought, I have had no chance to run them in the rain. They hook up fast, handle great and are are so much quieter than the stock Michi's. Good to hear about the fast wear of the Conti silents. I was considering them for my next set. But may well rethink that after miemrich's comments.
Who installed your Hankooks? I'm seriously considering them instead of the Conti's.

Amped, I know you've been following my feedback in other threads but I'll say here too, I second this statement ^^^^. Talking strictly 19" here, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a far superior tire to the OEM goodyears, the OEM primacies, and the Cinturato P7 A/S plus. I've driven on all. 45k miles on the OEM goodyears, loaners with the primacies, and 35k on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 255/45ZR19s (would have got more if my alignment didnt go bad), and now 4k miles on 255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus.

There is no noticeable range difference with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 vs OEM, and I drive on them HARD. Reading some reviews online to from what I can tell the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 even outranked summer performance tires in terms of their grip.

if you value traction, DO NOT GET THIS TIRE. the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus CANNOT hold grip for the torque of the MS, especially the Perf models. I regret buying this tire and I hope the only good that comes out of it is that they last 70k miles. My P85 is now crippled since it cannot hold dry traction under full accel. Its fine in the rain but thats about it. havent driven in the snow yet. Its worth noting that I will NOT ever buy this tire again. That speaks for itself. I will go back to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 when I'm done with the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus. Also when I switch back, I'll get a dedicated winter tire. you'll be fine in arizona light snow with the Michelins, but northern central NY for me i'll need more.

Thanks for this ^^^, very valuable real-world feedback. I'm down to the Super Sports (non-standard size) and the PS A/S 3. The Super Sports are rated very highly at Tire Rack, even higher than the A/S 3. Some reviews say the SS feel more supple and smoother than the A/S 3, but that seems to run counter to summer tires normally delivering a harsher ride than all seasons. Then there is the tread life difference - SS are good to 20,000 miles, the A/S 3 good to 45,000 miles.

Why aren't you considering 245/40/19 Pilot Super Sports? 5% of an aspect ratio isn't the end of the world. I haven't driven them, but by extension the people favoring them over PS2 has to imply even greater superiority to PS3. They may be ~1% smaller diameter, ~1% overstated mph. No clearance issues.

A slightly lower profile might firm things up a little, for those thinking Tesla has gone too soft.

I'm still trying to decide if doing something non-standard like this is within my comfort level.

This was perfect timing for this thread as I'm also in need of some new tires (33k on the OEM Goodyears). I live in the Phoenix area and have a standard S (non-P) with 19s. I was leaning towards the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 and was just waiting for Continental to offer a rebate but I'm not sure I can wait much longer. Does anyone have any experience with that tire? How about the Bridgestone Potenza 970AS? On a somewhat related note, do you guys just get alignments from the Tesla service center ($150) or can any alignment shop do it? Any recommendations in the Phoenix area?

The g-Force COMP-2 A/S gets such good reviews. Anyone tried those yet? Looking for something that lasts longer than the 21" summer tires but won't see much snow if any. Have a set of 19" winter rims so won't need the winter tires anymore.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have a set of Michelin Primacies that came with my Model S. I've been experiencing a lot of vibration on certain stretches of the highway. My local tire shop suggested I get the Michelin Sport A/S 3. Looking forward to having them installed in hopes of getting a better ride.