Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2 of the lighted rear appliqué soon to be available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you waiting for availability of the next round of production of the rear lighted appliqué, I wanted to let you know where we stand. Given the long delays and problems with obtaining the Tesla appliqués, I’ve been working with Jurgen Balitzky, a Model S owner with years of manufacturing experience, to produce our own appliqué.

We’re close to having a beta that Jurgen will install on his car, and we are optimistic we’ll be ready to begin selling and delivering this new version in about 4-6 weeks.

Our current plans are to offer two versions.

One (like the OEM Tesla version) will be made of plastic. However our plastic version will be available in colors that match all of the current paint options.

Our second version will be machined from billet aluminum and electropolished to match the current chrome look of the OEM Tesla appliqué.

Both versions will be manufactured with the TESLA letters already cut out, thus eliminating the delays and complications of water jet cutting.

Both will have a pocket that will make it much easier to mount and waterproof the neopixel letter board.

Both versions will remove the lens at both ends of the appliqué, thus eliminating the moisture problems that plaque many owners. In fact, our design will take the best feature of Tesla’s old appliqué version and the new one now being installed on all new Model S’s and Model X’s. Aesthetically we think it will be equally or even more pleasing.

Bottom line is that with manufacturing of our own appliqué, we’ll provide owner’s more options, much faster fulfillment and delivery of orders, and easier installation.

Our hope is that the Model X rear appliqué will be the same or similar to the Model S's. Whatever the case we'll have both versions for the Model X as soon as possible.

We’ll keep you all posted on our progress.

Just examined the V2 pre-production prototype this evening at the Newark DE supercharger. Jurgen Balitzky and I met there. He's working with the manufacturer and we concluded that were good to go. The appliqué is machined out of billet aluminum as are the TESLA letters. It's super high quality and fits perfectly. Like the new version of Tesla's appliqué our V2 will have no lenses at the end and the TELSA letters will protrude further and have a a squared off profile. This version will be easier to install as well.

These will go on sale in 3 weeks or so. There will be only a short wait for delivery as we will have an initial supply of 30 and can manufacture double or triple that amount in less than a week. Price is yet undetermined but we should know in a week or so. It will be a great advantage not to have to rely on Tesla's rather thin and slow parts supply chain and the delays it almost always entails.

We'll have photos once we install them on several cars, including mine and Jurgen's. That should be in about two weeks. Standard will be a polished chrome-like finish but we'll offer an option to have them painted to match the car's color.

I don't get excited about many things but this has me in a state of eager anticipation. Thanks to Jurgen and his considerable manufacturing experience for making this happen.

Last edited:
Just examined the V2 pre-production prototype this evening at the Newark DE supercharger. Jurgen Balitzky and I met there. He's working with the manufacturer and we concluded that were good to go. The appliqué is machined out of billet aluminum as are the TESLA letters. It's super high quality, much better than the plastic Tesla version and it attaches the same way and fits perfectly. Like the new version of Tesla's appliqué our V2 will have no lenses at the end and the TELSA letters will protrude further and have a a squared off profile. This version will be easier to install as well.

These will go on sale in 3 weeks or so. There will be only a short wait for delivery as we will have an initial supply of 30 and can manufacture double or triple that amount in less than a week. Price is yet undetermined but we should know in a week or so. It will be a great advantage not to have to rely on Tesla's rather thin and slow parts supply chain and the delays it almost always entails.

We'll have photos once we install them on several cars, including mine and Jurgen's. That should be in about two weeks. Standard will be a polished chrome-like finish but we'll offer an option to have them painted to match the car's color.

I don't get excited about many things but this has me in a state of eager anticipation. Thanks to Jurgen and his considerable manufacturing experience for making this happen.

...wonder if I should swap out my V1 appliqué which still accumulates moisture under the backup lenses (...yes, I did apply caulk).....

I realize this is not the thread for adding names to those wanting V2, but I am not taking any chances this time. Missed V1 because I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I want V2.

Many other owners were in the same boat. Owing to our reliance on Tesla's limited parts supply chain for the appliqué itself, meeting demand for V1 was a huge problem. We could only obtain 2 or 3 at a time from various Service Centers around the country and then we had to have the letters water jet cut out of the appliqué. For cost savings that had to be done 10 at a time, creating further delays and supply problems.

With V2 we're making our own appliqués out of billet aluminum with the letter openings already milled out, so the supply problems go away. We'll be producing 50 at a time, with the first run set for early February. When we authorize production at that time we'll begin taking orders. Delivery will be 4-6 weeks from the time an order is placed for everyone.

As I indicated in another post, 9 V2 test production versions will be available about two weeks from now, 2 polished, 1 MC red, 1 pearl white, 1 green, 2 blue, 1 matte black, and 1 regular black. These will be available on TMC classified/Panjo when once we've test fit them. I'll know the price later today and will post it then. People can PM me if they want a test production version, which will be sold at a substantial discount. More on that later.

Many other owners were in the same boat. Owing to our reliance on Tesla's limited parts supply chain for the appliqué itself, meeting demand for V1 was a huge problem. We could only obtain 2 or 3 at a time from various Service Centers around the country and then we had to have the letters water jet cut out of the appliqué. For cost savings that had to be done 10 at a time, creating further delays and supply problems.

With V2 we're making our own appliqués out of billet aluminum with the letter openings already milled out, so the supply problems go away. We'll be producing 50 at a time, with the first run set for early February. When we authorize production at that time we'll begin taking orders. Delivery will be 4-6 weeks from the time an order is placed for everyone.

As I indicated in another post, 9 V2 test production versions will be available about two weeks from now, 2 polished, 1 MC red, 1 pearl white, 1 green, 2 blue, 1 matte black, and 1 regular black. These will be available on TMC classified/Panjo when once we've test fit them. I'll know the price later today and will post it then. People can PM me if they want a test production version, which will be sold at a substantial discount. More on that later.

I've got the new blue and would be interested in a test production if you're doing them in that color as opposed to the old blue. I'll PM as well.

thanks!

Both deep metallic blue of the GenII appliques have now been accounted for. That leaves us with 2 polished, 1 MC red, 1 pearl white, 2 green, 1 regular black, and 1 matte black.

FYI, the cost these test production billet aluminum appliques with the electronics will be $675 (this is a savings of $200, as the price for the production appliques will be $875).

For those within decent driving distance of the Newark, DE supercharger we can arrange to install yours at no cost at nearby location.

If you'd like to reserve one of the test production versions please PM me with the color you'd like.

Rick

artsci, you had mentioned that Gen II would be easier to install than Gen 1. This is one of my motivating reasons for trading my Gen 1 for a Gen 2. Any chance the new one does not require cutting up the mounting bracket onto which the applique attaches?

- - - Updated - - -

artsci, you had mentioned that Gen II would be easier to install than Gen 1. This is one of my motivating reasons for trading my Gen 1 for a Gen 2. Any chance the new one does not require cutting up the mounting bracket onto which the applique attaches?

- - - Updated - - -

We're doing test installs this weekend. We're hoping the bracket won't need to be cut but I can't confirm until we do the tests. Will let everyone know.

I assume if I am a gen. 1 owner, the new gen. 2 applique will just fit over the old (and sliced & diced) bracket without needing to remove it again. Still need to remove gen. 1 and all of the sticky tape and silicone caulk. Fun....

True. Remove old, install new. Connect controller to longboard. No modifications of any kind necessary. I've removed the appique so many times I could do it in my sleep:). The hardest part by far is removing the old 3M tape. No messing with silicone is necessary as the GenII is comes completely waterproofed.

True. Remove old, install new. Connect controller to longboard. No modifications of any kind necessary. I've removed the appique so many times I could do it in my sleep:). The hardest part by far is removing the old 3M tape. No messing with silicone is necessary as the GenII is comes completely waterproofed.

But I think you mentioned that I/you might want to get only the gen. 2 applique, deinstall my gen. 1, deinstall the LED longboard array and install it into the new applique, then install the gen. 2 applique. Is this worth it or is it better to just get the fully installed/configured gen. 2 applique??