Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter for UMC 32A wanted for conversion to Mennekes plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Eberhard

The Plugs sold by Tesla for the UMC all have the "Leviton California" connector "on the UMC side".

So all you need is one "Leviton California" connectors (sold on Amazon here), some 50A cable and your Mennekes plug on the other end.

Wire all components together (consult an electrician for doing that...) and plug in into the UMC, voilà ;)

ps. I alomst forgot! The above solution cannot be done so easily. We cannot just design our own UMC plugs as we don't know how the plug tells the UMC how much AMPs it can draw. Martin Eberhards charger uses diodes to tell this charger what kind of plug (16A, 30A,...) is pluged into the charger. The charger then generates the correct pilot signal to tell the roadster how much amps to draw.

So the easier way is to buy a US UMC plug from TM, cut the NEMA plug and fit the Mennekes instead. This means you have to buy a US UMC plug rated 30A (or whatever you need) and modify it. That is of course the thing Eberhard was going to do... ;)

4554d1298410738-california-plug-leviton-50a_page4.jpg

^ no, you will need the diode / resistor combinations to make the Mennekes EVSE spit out >50A, as well as the equivalent that tell the UMC that the pigtail is X amps.

It may be better to put a J1772 on the car end of this cable, then buy the Tesla J1772 adapter. Then you will be equiped for all scenarios and be able to charge at whatever current the Mennekes or J1772 EVSE can provide, without any fear of overloading it.

I have to decide to setup a wallbox with the 7-pin Mennekes socket or the 5-pin CEE 400V/32A socket. Will depend on what socket will be n need for Model S.

i made my decision for the standard CEE socket with 3-phases being installed last monday. See what happened today:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2532&d=1315689488.jpg

Last edited:
Modifying the UMC with the Marinco Female Connector - 50 Amp and the Mennekes EVSE at the other side looks quite o.k.
"^ no, you will need the diode / resistor combinations to make the Mennekes EVSE spit out >50A, as well as the equivalent that tell the UMC that the pigtail is X amps."
Did someone test this combination? Will there be no error with this different comunication? Thanks magesch