Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Elon drive customized Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would Elon Musk drive standard off-the-shelf Teslas?I have learned that he is personally testing beta versions of the autopilot, but why stop there? In his position, I imagine Elon could ask about anything from color of the interior to match his wife's favourite dress, to bleeding edge experimental settings to make the car launch to 60 mph in 2.4 seconds, thereby matching the acceleration of the Porsche 918 Spyder. What does it matter that the battery and drive train will implode after a few weeks?If you were Elon, what special features would you tell engineering to provide for your personal ride?

Would Elon Musk drive standard off-the-shelf Teslas?I have learned that he is personally testing beta versions of the autopilot, but why stop there? In his position, I imagine Elon could ask about anything from color of the interior to match his wife's favourite dress, to bleeding edge experimental settings to make the car launch to 60 mph in 2.4 seconds, thereby matching the acceleration of the Porsche 918 Spyder. What does it matter that the battery and drive train will implode after a few weeks?If you were Elon, what special features would you tell engineering to provide for your personal ride?

I don't think Tesla has the luxury of playing around with fun features right now. The Model-X has been delayed for 2+ years and they need to get this out the door. Goofing around delays that objective. Plenty of time to play once they are in a better position.

IMO, he's the kind of CEO that would want to know precisely what his customers feel like when driving. I'll bet he does have a beta AP, but probably a completely stock P90D that he drives f'reals. First, again, because if HE doesn't like it I'd guess he wouldn't want to sell it. Second, he's probably too busy and distracted to be a good beta candidate full time. If AP is far enough along he might, but I'd wager that he wants to feel it done, not micro-manage the process.

He customized his original Signature S with staggered wheels and tires, which led to the development of the P85+. Who knows what he's driving these days... I believe he had a P85D for a while-- probably has multiple Ss, maybe one in LA and one in Palo Alto?