Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Savannah, GA with a S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60 kWh and I am planning a trip to NC. The only challenge I see is the St Augustine SC to the Savannah, GA SC as it is 170 miles. I am hoping if I do a full charge plus keep the speed at 65 then I can pull it off.

Anyone have any issues making it between SCs in a S60?

I made this trip two days ago in my P85D. I wanted to see how little energy I could use, so I drafted large trucks, using TACC set on 2sec, and switched trucks as they passed each other. My speed varied from 60mph to 77 mph, but always drafting trucks. I ended the trip with 270 wHmile despite stooping off at salt.pepper.thyme in Kingsford, GA for one if those unforgettable lunches. When I reached my hotel in Savannah I had driven 198 miles and still had 98 projected range left.

So, I think no problem for a 60, so long as you're drafting at a safe distance. If you do not have TACC it will be tiring, quite relaxing if you do. The road is quite smooth so little risk from FOD. IME when the truck you're drafting sees FOD (thrown-off tire treads) they'll flash their warning lights. If you're drafting at a safe consistent distance truckers seem generally cooperative.

I made this trip two days ago in my P85D. I wanted to see how little energy I could use, so I drafted large trucks, using TACC set on 2sec, and switched trucks as they passed each other. My speed varied from 60mph to 77 mph, but always drafting trucks. I ended the trip with 270 wHmile despite stooping off at salt.pepper.thyme in Kingsford, GA for one if those unforgettable lunches. When I reached my hotel in Savannah I had driven 198 miles and still had 98 projected range left.

So, I think no problem for a 60, so long as you're drafting at a safe distance. If you do not have TACC it will be tiring, quite relaxing if you do. The road is quite smooth so little risk from FOD. IME when the truck you're drafting sees FOD (thrown-off tire treads) they'll flash their warning lights. If you're drafting at a safe consistent distance truckers seem generally cooperative.
Thanks for the insight! I do have TACC so drafting has been a breeze. That gives me some faith I can pull it off, assuming I find a drafting source!

I've had my MS60 for over 2 years and have made the trip to NC (via Savannah) 4 times. The 171 mile stretch from St Augustine is definitely doable with some due diligence. Here is my experience:

I always leave St Augustine with a full battery. This means about an hour and 15 minutes of charging after my 120 mile trip from Orlando. This is enough time for a sit down breakfast at IHop and bathroom breaks. I've found that if I average 290 kWh/mi, I usually roll into the Savannah Airport with about 10-15 miles of range remaining. I know this may seem too close for some, but I find it is very predictable so I'm over any range anxiety. Of course, maintaining 290 kWh/mi means different things when you consider weather, load, etc. With no headwind and 90 deg F, this means I can drive 75 mph most of the way, no drafting. If any of those variables works against me, I have to slow down. So far, I've never had to spend a lot of time drafting or driving slower than 65 mph when it get colder than 50 deg or I encounter some headwinds.
I do find that I have to pay more attention to my rate of power consumption vs speed more than I'd like, but I only have to do it for this one stretch, and then usually only the once or twice a year that I make this trip.

Hope this helps.

I've had my MS60 for over 2 years and have made the trip to NC (via Savannah) 4 times. The 171 mile stretch from St Augustine is definitely doable with some due diligence. Here is my experience:

I always leave St Augustine with a full battery. This means about an hour and 15 minutes of charging after my 120 mile trip from Orlando. This is enough time for a sit down breakfast at IHop and bathroom breaks. I've found that if I average 290 kWh/mi, I usually roll into the Savannah Airport with about 10-15 miles of range remaining. I know this may seem too close for some, but I find it is very predictable so I'm over any range anxiety. Of course, maintaining 290 kWh/mi means different things when you consider weather, load, etc. With no headwind and 90 deg F, this means I can drive 75 mph most of the way, no drafting. If any of those variables works against me, I have to slow down. So far, I've never had to spend a lot of time drafting or driving slower than 65 mph when it get colder than 50 deg or I encounter some headwinds.
I do find that I have to pay more attention to my rate of power consumption vs speed more than I'd like, but I only have to do it for this one stretch, and then usually only the once or twice a year that I make this trip.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Chas! Good insight. How is the Savannah SC? I understand it is at an airport?

ChasF,
I am trying to gauge whether I should have any concerns about driving an MX (90 kwh battery) from Gainesville, FL to Asheville, NC. I know there are many variables such as A/C, outside temperature, speeds of 65-75 mph, head winds, load, and elevation change).
Given your experience with the MS60 and construction of the Greenville, SC and Jacksonville, FL SpCs, I think I should have no concern whatsoever. I probably could spend less time at the SpCs or even skip one or two.
I would appreciate any thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Charles provides excellent advice. I would like to emphasize the highlighted sentence. Driving in Florida's frequent torrential downpours will take a huge toll on efficiency. Perhaps as much as a 20% hit while driving through a major storm even at greatly reduced speed. In other words, you won't be able to maintain an average of 290 kWh/mi even at 40 mph when traveling through one of these storms with wind and driving rain.

When driving this relatively long stretch of road with a 60 kWh battery as Charles mentions you have to pay careful attention to your useage. In particular if you run into heavy weather on this stretch of road you have to be very careful to maintain a prudent margin. A conservative approach for this particular stretch would be to drive slower at the beginning of your trip, and if the weather is good and your useage is providing the proper margin, then you can pick up the pace as you approach your destination.

Bennett: A Model S 60 kWh has an EPA range of 208 miles. A Model X90 will probably have an EPA range of around 240 miles. It's unlikely that you would have a problem.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry. I thought that I had read that the 90kwh had a range of 240. Great point about Florida rain and wind. I had not considered it previously.
Hi Bennett,

Yes, I think that you are correct. I incorrectly thought that the Model X 85 had a range of 240. I'll correct my previous posting to avoid confusion.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Chas! Good insight. How is the Savannah SC? I understand it is at an airport?

Supercharger - Savannah, GA

Check this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Charles provides excellent advice. I would like to emphasize the highlighted sentence. Driving in Florida's frequent torrential downpours will take a huge toll on efficiency. Perhaps as much as a 20% hit while driving through a major storm even at greatly reduced speed. In other words, you won't be able to maintain an average of 290 kWh/mi even at 40 mph when traveling through one of these storms with wind and driving rain.

When driving this relatively long stretch of road with a 60 kWh battery as Charles mentions you have to pay careful attention to your useage. In particular if you run into heavy weather on this stretch of road you have to be very careful to maintain a prudent margin. A conservative approach for this particular stretch would be to drive slower at the beginning of your trip, and if the weather is good and your useage is providing the proper margin, then you can pick up the pace as you approach your destination.

Bennett: A Model S 60 kWh has an EPA range of 208 miles. A Model X90 will probably have an EPA range of around 240 miles. It's unlikely that you would have a problem.

Larry

Thanks Larry for expounding on the challenges of FL weather. I should have mentioned that checking the weather forecast for my route thru Savannah is always a part of my trip planning. Even the wind forecast that can be found at some aviation websites. I won't take the MS60 if it looks too bad.

Something I've always thought would be a good idea would be to include an option to show the current weather radar overlaid on the Nav/Google map screen along with wind speed and direction. It does make a difference in efficiency when driving in heavy rain or wind.