Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Trunk lighting...doesnt seem to work well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i bought two of these after reading up on DIY trunk lighting...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22226850

these only seem to activate when there is movement directly in front of it. i installed two of them on the sides of the trunk with double sided tape on each side of the trunk, sticking to pieces of plastic on each side of the trunk. they are aimed downwards into the trunk. well when the trunk opens, there isnt enough movement to activate these things. are these particular lights just crappy? do other lights have more sensitivity towards activating? i end up having to wave in front of each to turn them on. kind of annoying.

thanks!

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but I think your expectations need a bit of adjustment. You bought some crappy lights for $15 at Walmart. As an interior add-on to a very expensive, high quality car. Of course you're going to be disappointed with them! Take 'em back and see if you can get your money back!

I'm not suggesting that you need to spend gobs of money just because its a Tesla, I am suggesting that your expectations of anything bought at Walmart for $15 should be adjusted to $15 or less.

One other important point though: Lighting the trunk/frunk areas is going to be tough no matter what. Both are lined with black carpet and black trim. Almost all the light shining in is just going to get absorbed. The lighting will help light up whatever you put IN there, but its always going to have a hard time lighting up the trunk or frunk itself. Try it out: Lay out a flat piece of cardboard in the trunk and you can see how much light the standard lights put out (not a huge amount).

Trust me, I'm an architect... :biggrin:

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but I think your expectations need a bit of adjustment. You bought some crappy lights for $15 at Walmart. As an interior add-on to a very expensive, high quality car. Of course you're going to be disappointed with them! Take 'em back and see if you can get your money back!

I'm not suggesting that you need to spend gobs of money just because its a Tesla, I am suggesting that your expectations of anything bought at Walmart for $15 should be adjusted to $15 or less.

One other important point though: Lighting the trunk/frunk areas is going to be tough no matter what. Both are lined with black carpet and black trim. Almost all the light shining in is just going to get absorbed. The lighting will help light up whatever you put IN there, but its always going to have a hard time lighting up the trunk or frunk itself. Try it out: Lay out a flat piece of cardboard in the trunk and you can see how much light the standard lights put out (not a huge amount).

This is a topic that's been posted nearly to death. A search will reveal some very effective solutions that provide enough light to very well illuminate the entire space. And you don't have to spend much more than you spent at Walmart -- you just chose the wrong product to light the space.

Stacey--no offense taken. however, i bought this mainly because it was easily accessible and many others are buying similar $15 lights that claim more success. but yes, i know its a cheap light!

This is a topic that's been posted nearly to death. A search will reveal some very effective solutions that provide enough light to very well illuminate the entire space. And you don't have to spend much more than you spent at Walmart -- you just chose the wrong product to light the space.

I used a thread by artsi (search is failing me now) that discussed putting in LED strips from SuperBrightLEDs.com under the parcel shelf mount. It turned out great and it only cost me like $25 or so. As was stated, search on the forum for options and you will find a better solution.
bQXtzXp.jpg

i bought two of these after reading up on DIY trunk lighting...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22226850

these only seem to activate when there is movement directly in front of it. i installed two of them on the sides of the trunk with double sided tape on each side of the trunk, sticking to pieces of plastic on each side of the trunk. they are aimed downwards into the trunk. well when the trunk opens, there isnt enough movement to activate these things. are these particular lights just crappy? do other lights have more sensitivity towards activating? i end up having to wave in front of each to turn them on. kind of annoying.

thanks!
The lights you bought are motion sensors so they are working as designed.
You probably don't want them.
I installed these
Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS White 5050 24SMD 24-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive
They work great.

Like artsci said, there are several threads on this. Adding lights to our trunks is an incredibly easy DIY project. I too tried the motion light. I found it to be a weak solution. Unreliable, needs battery changes, and worst of all, activates if anything slides around in the trunk.

Here is a link to my post on how I did it. You actually may want to go back and read the first post too, though I think my method in my post, which is exactly the same almost, is much simpler and does not require fancy parts and barrel connectors:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...nd-Trunk/page2?p=720959&viewfull=1#post720959