Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAPD getting P85D's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 2.16.08 PM.png

Tesla Motors on Twitter:
LAPD Blog: Mayor Garcetti And City Departments Commit To Largest City-Owned Fleet Of Pure Battery EV Vehicles In America
the LAPD is also being loaned a Tesla Model S P85D and a BMW i. These vehicles will be used for testing and research by LAPD technical experts to determine how this technology can support their future needs.

Very nice. I wonder what the actual composition of their fleet will eventually be. (Numbers of each specific model of EV and PHEV) I have to admit that my first thought on seeing the picture was that the Tesla was a confiscation of some sort and repurposed (many of the DARE vehicles in police fleets are confiscations during drug busts). This article doesn't say that at all, but rather that they are actively pursuing the addition of EVs and PHEVs to their fleet. Good on them.

I wonder if Tesla is modifying their firmware in special ways.

For example, you wouldn't want someone to be able to get in and start the car and drive it away just because the key fob was nearby.

This "test" could go both ways. They give Tesla feedback on what an ideal software/hardware setup would be, and come 2018 when the Gigafactory is pumping out cells, Tesla starts selling specially-specced Model S fleets to various jurisdictions.

This "test" could go both ways. They give Tesla feedback on what an ideal software/hardware setup would be, and come 2018 when the Gigafactory is pumping out cells, Tesla starts selling specially-specced Model S fleets to various jurisdictions.

Sounds good.

Now if we can just convince the cops in LA that what they really need more than anything else is a better navigation system, third-party app integration, and, most importantly, a pack heating option we may be in good shape.

I'm curious what options they went with and if they did a lot of testing. It seems like the body is a bit higher than mine is on standard, which is how coil looks compared to air, but maybe they got air.

They also got 21s, which will handle better, and would be staggered, but will have worse tire wear. Makes me curious if they tested the handling with 21s vs 19s