Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sarasota: Electrify the Island at Mote Marine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice statement. And fun to see.

I was just checking out charging station pics on PlugShare & ChargePoint as I prepare for some trips back to Sarasota and saw the pics of those stations. :D

Was actually surprised to see how many charging stations there are in Sarasota. Excited to be back there.

Hi Zack,

Yes, the City and County are EV friendly.

I have been trying to convince some of the local hotels to participate in Tesla's Destination Charging Program. I've spent a bit of time with representatives from the Hyatt Regency and the Ritz-Carlton and have done site visits with Electric Charging equipment installers, but despite a claimed interest no action has been taken to date. Sarasota luxury hotels are missing out on a significant opportunity to attract Model S owners from across the state and even from other states. There are about 3,500 Model S owners in the state and everyone of them could easily reach Sarasota if there was destination charging.

Larry

Hi Zack,

Yes, the City and County are EV friendly.

I have been trying to convince some of the local hotels to participate in Tesla's Destination Charging Program. I've spent a bit of time with representatives from the Hyatt Regency and the Ritz-Carlton and have done site visits with Electric Charging equipment installers, but despite a claimed interest no action has been taken to date. Sarasota luxury hotels are missing out on a significant opportunity to attract Model S owners from across the state and even from other states. There are about 3,500 Model S owners in the state and everyone of them could easily reach Sarasota if there was destination charging.

Larry

Wow, excellent work. I agree that would be a no-brainer for such hotels, but guess it's just going to depend on how much the person calling the shots "gets it," and the number of people who fall into that boat is still limited... but will hopefully grow a lot in the coming few years.

I worked in Sarasota County government for a very short time once upon a time. There were some really progressive, good people there at that time. I think the city and county have quite educated and forward-thinking people working for them... and sometimes in policymaking roles... but was still not expecting to see such a "high" number of charging stations there. Hopefully we'll have several times more in a few years. But they've basically got them in the locations I'd want now. :D

Wow, excellent work. I agree that would be a no-brainer for such hotels, but guess it's just going to depend on how much the person calling the shots "gets it," and the number of people who fall into that boat is still limited... but will hopefully grow a lot in the coming few years.

I worked in Sarasota County government for a very short time once upon a time. There were some really progressive, good people there at that time. I think the city and county have quite educated and forward-thinking people working for them... and sometimes in policymaking roles... but was still not expecting to see such a "high" number of charging stations there. Hopefully we'll have several times more in a few years. But they've basically got them in the locations I'd want now. :D

Last year a number of local (Sarasota & Bradenton) EV stakeholders with the assistance of the Sierra Club formed the Suncoast Electric Vehicle Collaborative. In May the group's representative and the County's Manager of Sustainability made presentations to the County Commissioners promoting electric vehicle adoption.

As you probably know the recently completed University Town Center (UTC) Mall has 16 electric chargers.

Larry

Here's a link to some media coverage of the the event:

Mote Marine gets energized about electric cars

Club members Chris Sharek and Nigel Mould were Co-City Captains of the Sarasota event. Besides myself we also had a several of our local club members displaying their cars.

Teslas at Sarasota.jpg

Here's some of our club member's Model S's.

BMW i8 at Sarasota.jpg

Here's a BMW i8, 4-seat sports car hybrid.

Chris Sharek EV 101 at Sarasota.jpg

Chris Sharek provides an EV 101 presentation.

Larry