Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling system improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My Tesla Ranger mentioned to me today that they're going to be doing a modification to the front cooling fans. What they are going to do is install a manifold that covers the entire radiator and funnels the air into the two fans, which will now be standing a little above the radiator.

The point here is that when the fans run, they will draw air through the entire radiator, instead of just through the area underneath the fans themselves. This will provide a significant improvement in heat dissipation.

The install requires removing the radiator, which means they have to drain the coolant system. So there's a bit of work involved.

I have to say this sounds like an excellent idea! Goes to show that Tesla is still putting some thought into improving the Roadster, despite having most of their resources on Model S.

Doug I had this done to my 2.0 Roadster last summer. It was a noticeable improvement.
My Tesla Ranger mentioned to me today that they're going to be doing a modification to the front cooling fans. What they are going to do is install a manifold that covers the entire radiator and funnels the air into the two fans, which will now be standing a little above the radiator.

The point here is that when the fans run, they will draw air through the entire radiator, instead of just through the area underneath the fans themselves. This will provide a significant improvement in heat dissipation.

The install requires removing the radiator, which means they have to drain the coolant system. So there's a bit of work involved.

I have to say this sounds like an excellent idea! Goes to show that Tesla is still putting some thought into improving the Roadster, despite having most of their resources on Model S.

So my born-on 1/1/11 2.5 has improved cooling?

Very likely. My fans look like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1498&d=1300591460.jpg

What do yours look like?

Attachments

• fans.JPG
    fans.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,470
Not the best example (and not from a Tesla), but I assume you are talking about a fan shroud assembly something like this:
perma_cool_fans_installed.jpg

(now it will match my forum picture better!)

Last edited: