Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty about to expire! Is it worth paying $4100.00 for 80,000 more km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Door handles, air suspension, drive unit, compressor, lcd, various computers, various relays, batteries, etc. Those are all the expense reasons off the top of my head as to why I got it , but back then it was only $2400. How confident are you that nothing will require fixing? Its a gamble .

I'm in the US and struggle with this too. They have always paid off in the past for me with cars due to all the electronics. Every one has paid for itself and more. But the 4K USD is 3 times what I have paid in the past. It is nice that they give us time to decide, aside from the potential for a price increase. I got the extended service agreement, which in retrospect, I should have bought the extra warranty, based on all that I have read. Oh well. I wish I could swap it out!

Just not sure what to do since the car is so new, with no history.

With the difference between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar, I think it's a better deal in Canadian dollars. Currently, the $4100 CDN is less thsn $3000 USD, and the deductible is $about $150 per issue. A better deal, but I expect the actual $ cost will depend on which country you seek to utilize it.

With Ranger service not included (so the towing cost will be on the owner), that's another per issue cost to keep in mind. I was just up in North Bay, and since I'm currently under the factory warranty, I was aware, but not as concerned. I will be, on future trips.

Scotty

S85 - 11 months and 44,000 miles

I don't think the old plan has a deductible. Gee, wonder why they added the deductible? Costs must be higher than anticipated.....

If I were planning on keeping the car for another 80K, I most certainly would. Bringing these cars up to 160K is uncharted territory. There is simply no way that a manufacturer can test and work out the bugs that will crop up in a new design as they really start to age. I'm convinced that we will see some completely new and expensive failures that we've never seen before; problems with the suspension system, the battery cooling system, the electronics, various of the accessories, and so on. And ALL of these repairs will be expensive.

With every warranty repair (there will doubtless have some), the net cost of the warranty will drop. And if you sell the car between now and 160K you'll get some of the money back on the resale. I'd be very reluctant to buy a used Tesla without some sort of warranty and I suspect a lot of buyers will be the same.

Finally, I would simply add up the costs that have been spent by Tesla on warranty repairs during the first 80K. Take that number and double or triple it. That's probably what you will see in the the next 80K.

I don't think the old plan has a deductible. Gee, wonder why they added the deductible? Costs must be higher than anticipated.....

I believe it is the same plan... Only the price changed from $2400 to $4000 (US) in early July 2013.

if you have it, it will be listed in you documents on My Tesla... Go read the doc. I read it back then and recently (but haven't bought it) -- I believe the doc has not changed.

With every warranty repair (there will doubtless have some), the net cost of the warranty will drop.
One door handle failing 4 times and you pay one $200 deductible. Four handles each failing once costs $800. The deductible hurts less if we are talking about a major repair so by buying the ESP, we are gambling that something big will fail. Much of the warranty work on my car (I'm at 70,000 kms) has been small stuff. I don't count TSBs or DU replacements in this as they should be 'covered' with or without the extended plan. I am less certain that the extended warranty is worth buying. For some however, it will provide 'peace of mind' and I certainly respect that.

I'm approaching 40,000km and the only thing I've had to do was replace a shock... But now I'm getting a knock when slowing down at slow speeds, so there's something else wrong with the front suspension.
I drive a lot, 80,000km is only about 2.5 years for me, so I don't think I will be buying. But, I will be paying for a servicing before I hit 80,000km (planning on skipping till then).

I believe it is the same plan... Only the price changed from $2400 to $4000 (US) in early July 2013.

if you have it, it will be listed in you documents on My Tesla... Go read the doc. I read it back then and recently (but haven't bought it) -- I believe the doc has not changed.

I looked up the document in My Tesla, and it is clearly the new document and shows the current $4100 price and deductible. The extended warranty section says it was purchased Feb 7 2013 - I believe that was about the last day prior to the price increase. Does anyone have a PDF copy of the old document or know where there is an archive?

In looking further into this, I see that my Model S Guides documents, these are also all current. That is fine for user manuals and such, but the New Vehicle Limited Warranty should refer to my one from early 2013. If it doesn't, it is kind of like a bait and switch. This may or may not be a good/bad thing, as I haven't gone through them in detail to compare. At least I have a copy of that original document.

I wonder if there is an archive of these documents out there? Sorry if this is getting off topic a bit, but at least it is a heads up to all to archive these at time of purchase.