Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Late 2015) - any developments on the electric BOAT front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
There had been some chatter here in the past, but nothing I can find recently.

I have a Boston Whaler that, terribly, I never use; I also have a goodly supply of PV batteries from an earlier project (Pb-acid....heavy...but on hand). I'd be quite keen to learn more about any close-to-feasible conversion that currently exists. Surely there must be some kind of prop-driving electric motor out there?

I also happen to have a number of minuscule electric trolling motors (Minn-Kota), but even if all 3 or 4 of them were in good order they'd not be able to push the Whaler very far for very long or very fast.

Any help, anyone?

A prototype fishing boat was made in Norway.

Google translate link to one of the articles https://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tu.no%2Findustri%2F2015%2F07%2F31%2Fdette-er-norges-forste-fiskebat-med-elmotor&edit-text=

Thanks for the links - not surprisingly, none is applicable for retrofitting. What I'd really like to find is a standalone electric outboard that I could pop onto the Whaler. Just for giggles, I may gang up all my Minn-Kotas on its transom to see how fast and far they can push it. Not much, I'm sure.

Thanks for the links - not surprisingly, none is applicable for retrofitting. What I'd really like to find is a standalone electric outboard that I could pop onto the Whaler. Just for giggles, I may gang up all my Minn-Kotas on its transom to see how fast and far they can push it. Not much, I'm sure.
I'd love to see the demo of the Minnkotas. I had considered trying that myself last year. I think it could give reasonable if not spectacular performance.

In the 19th century before gasoline and diesel engines in boats, they were powered by steam (and a few by electricity), including small launches and open pleasure boats. Unlike today's boats they were very narrow for their length and quite slow by today's standards, similar to sailboat speeds.

However, a lot of these ran with 2-5 hp engines. 1 hp = 745 W, so a SWAG might be a 2 hp motor driving a very narrow hull, say 4' beam and 18' waterline length, making 5 mph, which would be 1500 W or 1.5 kWh per 5 miles, about 300 Wh/mile, the same as our cars at 70 mph. Say the battery was a 10 kWh Powerwall, that would drive the boat for about 6 hours and 30 miles.

I suspect that to really make this work, it would be best to design a catamaran with two very narrow hulls, say 18" wide and 18' long, the spacing between them doesn't matter within reason. The ratio of length to width is really critical in this kind of boat design. A total guess says that might get the boat up to 8-10 mph for the same power.

The motors of diesel-electric submarines are electric motors. This is what makes them so extremely quiet. The diesel engines are used only on the surface to recharge the batteries.

The newer developments are such refinements as air independent engines so there's no need to resurface.

As for recent developments on the commercial front:
http://cleantechnica.com/category/clean-transport-2/boats/

Last edited:
McLaren's Design Boss Just Built the World’s Most Beautiful Powerboat

frankstephensonriverbreeze_hero.jpg

"Instead of a fuel-thirsty V-8 or V-12, Stephenson sources power from a torpedo-shaped, 4.2-kilowatt electric pod motor, with 14.7 kilowatt-hours of storage from eight Varta 12-volt marine batteries that take about eight hours to charge."

The 22' Pearsons at my club have electric outboards that work well most of the time. But when the wind and waves kick up they can be painfully slow. Definitely emergency engines for when the wind dies and maneuvering at dockside. Perfect use case.