Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons you might cancel your MX reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we know some info on the characteristics of the Model X, I would like to summarize in this thread what are the reasons that have made or will make you think of canceling your order. Some have been thoroughly discussed but the point is to gather as much info as possible on the acceptance of Model X. I was going to make a poll but I think it's better to leave it open. I've come up with some just to lit the fire, starting with the in-famous ones:

- 2nd row seats don't fold flat
- Tow capability too low
- Range while towing too low
- Aesthetics
- Falcon wing doors
- Not enough cupholders or storage space
- Windshield not practical (expensive to repair, not well protected)
- Price difference with Model S too steep
- Not enough room on the 3rd row
- Range too low (for the originally planned budget)
- Don't like 20" wheels, can't afford 22"

The bar is open!

For the ones, like me, without an order, we can always wonder. If I had a reservation, the only reason to cancel would be a range of the X70 below 200 miles. I cannot imagine that happening so the rest is ok for me: don't care about 2nd row seats, don't use towing, like (not love) aesthetics of the car, love the falcon wing door idea, storage space in model S barely enough for me already, love the endless windshield, price difference seems fair, don't need 3rd row, could live with 20"... I just want a Tesla like everyone else here.

For me, it's the same as it's always been: if the falcon wing door functionality proves to be limiting rather than liberating. It's starting to look like those doors might not be able to open in my relatively ordinary garage. Pulling into the driveway in order to load/unload passengers makes little sense to me, and I'm a "car in the garage" kind of guy.

Range should be fine, the lack of fold flat seats would be a disappointment but wouldn't be reason to cancel. It's all in the doors for me.

I'm not crazy about the overall exterior aesthetics but I'm reserving judgment until the production car is unveiled. Also, the wheels on some of the mules look small to me...I'm hoping they aren't 20" but 19" instead. There aren't too many vehicles you can get where there won't be one or two gripes about it. If my worst gripe is I'm not in love with how it looks, I think I'm still doing pretty good :)

- 2nd row seats don't fold flat

we don't know this yet

- Tow capability too low
- Range while towing too low

both

- Aesthetics

?

- Falcon wing doors

yea if they don't align

- Not enough cupholders or storage space

yea the curved back end really dampers what you can transport :(

- Price difference with Model S too steep

this doesn't make sense. the base price and fully loaded prices are basically exactly the same as Model S. 5k difference. that's nothing. actually its a lot lower than I expected. I would have expected the X to be 10-15k more but its not.

- Not enough room on the 3rd row

yea if I were to get a new one (to replace a ford flex) i'd need even more space back there...probably full size SUV. this this is just a small crossover so not really that much bigger than the S.

- Range too low (for the originally planned budget)

i was also hoping for more by now. :(

- Don't like 20" wheels, can't afford 22"

22s are ridiculous. 20's are even pretty expensive too. hopefully these 20s can withstand more potholes than the S's 21s but these 20s should have more sidewall height to protect.

all that being said...you're still only paying for 1/4 the price of a gasoline equilivant and there are still really cool things about the X that just nobody else comes close to. i'd still recommend though I'll keep my S.

I have an X reservation (about 13,000 IIRC). I ordered it before the S D came out and I was able to convert my S order to an 85D. I ordered the X for 4WD but now that I have a S 4WD, there is less incentive to get the X. I am keeping my reservation since I want to see all of the details of the MX and drive it.
I am on the fence.
I don't think I like the design of the X as much as the S but I will have to see it live and in person. Also, the X may have higher ground clearance which may be an advantage in snow.
All of the points you mentioned (except aesthetics) are not really factors for me.
I'm really happy with the S and the X would have to be much better than the S for me to get one. Also, my co-pilot thinks it's excessive to have two Teslas (we are both semi-retired so don't really need two cars). We have an old Land Rover which we have driven less than 1000 miles this summer but which works well as a deep snow storm car.

Except if he/she is buying an S instead. How could anyone say I did not think X is good enough so I bought a ____ (fill in the blank with any ICE) instead without looking stupid?

I think anyone should enjoy&love his/her car, especially a 80.000-130.000$ one. Us hardcore teslarians would trade all those things for the amazing tesla ride but there are others on the softcore side that are not that convinced. Others have storage or towing needs that cannot be avoided. We ought to be welcoming, maybe they cancel but they firstly reserved so that means quite a level of interest many others didn't even show for this car. Tesla loves you no matter what!:tongue:

For the ones, like me, without an order, we can always wonder. If I had a reservation, the only reason to cancel would be a range of the X70 below 200 miles. I cannot imagine that happening so the rest is ok for me: don't care about 2nd row seats, don't use towing, like (not love) aesthetics of the car, love the falcon wing door idea, storage space in model S barely enough for me already, love the endless windshield, price difference seems fair, don't need 3rd row, could live with 20"... I just want a Tesla like everyone else here.

If you don't have a reservation why did you start a thread of reasons to cancel your reservation?

Most of your reasons are either weak, or items that were known well before anyone made their reservation (Falcon wing doors, price difference, space in the third row, range, etc have all been estimated or known well in advance). 20" wheels and 2nd row seats not folding (if in fact all 2nd row seats cannot fold) are about the only new reasons I can think of.

Except if he/she is buying an S instead. How could anyone say I did not think X is good enough so I bought a ____ (fill in the blank with any ICE) instead without looking stupid?

That doesn't make too much sense, because an S is just a Model X that's faster, very slightly longer range, but with a lot less storage space and less seating. I don't think many people cross-shop sedan and SUV at all.

Someone looking to cancel a Model X, I'm willing to bet can't find a similarly-priced SUV/CUV anywhere near the capability/utility except for perhaps someone who absolutely needs a ridiculously huge amount of towing (in which case, they would be looking for trucks instead of SUVs/CUVs in the first place). Even if the second row doesn't fold flat with the smart seats, I imagine that won't be true with a lower-optioned rear seat and the Model X is sure to have a cavernous frunk that will more than best out any other competing SUV/CUV.

That doesn't make too much sense, because an S is just a Model X that's faster, very slightly longer range, but with a lot less storage space and less seating. I don't think many people cross-shop sedan and SUV at all.

Someone looking to cancel a Model X, I'm willing to bet can't find a similarly-priced SUV/CUV anywhere near the capability/utility except for perhaps someone who absolutely needs a ridiculously huge amount of towing (in which case, they would be looking for trucks instead of SUVs/CUVs in the first place). Even if the second row doesn't fold flat with the smart seats, I imagine that won't be true with a lower-optioned rear seat and the Model X is sure to have a cavernous frunk that will more than best out any other competing SUV/CUV.

I've been cross-shopping sedans (well, hatchbacks) and SUVs for years. My requirements are AWD, plugs-in (and gets over 30 miles on electric only) and lots of room. I think that only the X and S fulfill those requirements. I've been considering the X and S for the past 6 months. Before that, I was considering the Volvo XC90 T8 but eliminated it from the list when they announced how far it could go on electricity alone. Before that, I was considering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which still hasn't made it to the US. I was also waiting years for the Volvo V60 plug-in hybrid but it was never released in the US either. I've even considered the Volt but they don't offer AWD.

IF the 2nd row seats on the X fold down, then it would fulfill my needs and I could get by with one vehicle. If they don't, then I would consider an S and perhaps add the Outlander PHEV back to the list. I don't need towing capability as the built-in accessory hitch on the X would be enough for me. I just need room for lots of cargo and some large (120 pound+) dogs. The S might be a bit cramped for the dogs and some of the cargo but I could probably keep my CR-V to handle those loads or get the Outlander PHEV when it comes out...but I would really like to get by with one vehicle. As I mentioned in another thread, I could probably get the Outlander PHEV and a CPO/Inventory S for the price of a new X. I have room in the garage for both...

The more cancellations, the quicker the rest of us move up in the queue :p I suspect the biggest deal breaker for most will be the functionality (or lack thereof) of the rears seats (i.e. folding, etc) which would impact carrying capacity. Otherwise, they'd get an MS. Personally, I don't need the cargo space...the S interior just doesn't fit me well (like with many cars and being tall, I have to crane my neck a bit forward to see well out the front) and it looks like the X will solve that issue with the windshield.

My thinking is that there will be some who will be disappointed after the Model X comes out...I can bet there will be some threads in this forum about 3rd row lack of space.

I am happy with Model S and will stick to it.

Personally I am quite surprised that there are Model X reservation holders willing to buy without test driving Model X or looking at the car first.

I can never buy a car without sitting in it, driving it and looking at it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
If you don't have a reservation why did you start a thread of reasons to cancel your reservation?

Most of your reasons are either weak, or items that were known well before anyone made their reservation (Falcon wing doors, price difference, space in the third row, range, etc have all been estimated or known well in advance). 20" wheels and 2nd row seats not folding (if in fact all 2nd row seats cannot fold) are about the only new reasons I can think of.

As I said, I just wanted to know why would someone cancel. There's been a lot of discussion over these 2.5 years of anxious waiting and we know a lot of people were waiting for the final design and characteristics of the vehicle, some still need to see it and test-drive it to finally decide. Some still believe the look of the car will change, others are pissed because folding 2nd row seats were promised,... Those were not my reasons, just the ones I could come up with, I perfectly stated that my only reason would be range of the basic X70. Furthermore, if someone wants to cancel for a light reason, we still can convince him/her not to do it.

the loonie is tanking , as oil goes so does our dollar. this would be the biggest reason I could cancel, economics. it was already going to be a stretch to shell out six figures for a car, but adding 33% the elastic breaks. Will have to wait and see what Canadian pricing looks like before making a decision.

I think anyone buying either model with visions of saving money is delusional. Yeah, you aren't paying for gas but you're shelling out $80k++ for a vehicle to save on gas. If you really want to be economical, you buy a used Corolla or something. I'm not sure gas prices are really swaying anyone who can afford one of these cars.

let's speculate on if anyone would cancel based on this list of speculations shall we?

Towing range decreased? Sounds like someone who has never towed with any vehicle. Hop in a gasser and give something a tow and get back to me on your mpg decrease. Did anyone actually think that could do long range towing with an EV right now? My Landcruiser will only get 150 miles on a tank of gas while towing and it costs $60-$80 to fill up!

I will speculate that there will absolutely be a 2nd row folding option, it amazes me that people think the collective genius at Tesla would miss how important this is.

let's speculate on if anyone would cancel based on this list of speculations shall we?

Towing range decreased? Sounds like someone who has never towed with any vehicle. Hop in a gasser and give something a tow and get back to me on your mpg decrease. Did anyone actually think that could do long range towing with an EV right now? My Landcruiser will only get 150 miles on a tank of gas while towing and it costs $60-$80 to fill up!

I will speculate that there will absolutely be a 2nd row folding option, it amazes me that people think the collective genius at Tesla would miss how important this is.

Sub: I have talked to the NASales people twice already about the second row seats. They will not fold flat. I asked if I waited for a Production X if there would be a second seat option that would fold flat: answer 'No'. Now, EM appears to love to surprise people and show things at the reveal that may make us go 'wow'....However, with some of the dissention in the Sig ranks about the second row seats not folding I can't believe that he has either lied to his sales force or instructed them to lie to Sig holders.

I am considering canceling my order. It has always been contingent on being able to use the stupid falcon doors (sorry - they are the reason we have reservation 6218 and not 30xx as it took us a long time to accept that they MIGHT be functional) in our garage.
Lately what has been added
- folding second row for maximum space and amount of space with only third row down. The car is supposed to replace a Toyota Sienna which is neither sexy nor sporty but has a ton of room which we frequently need
- front windshield. I have / had no pano in either of my Model S for a reason. If the only option is a weird, sloped wind shield that reaches up above the driver/passenger we are most likely out

While the original OP did mention some concerns with range as a 'problem' I would say I was hoping for a 100/110 battery as an option that might push the range up closer to 300 miles. While not an absolute reason to cancel for me, I know others were hoping the launch would show a bigger battery option.