Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any X-Sig reservation holders who don't want Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I searched in the MX forum but didn't find anything; apologies if this has been covered in another thread.

I have a Sig reservation (U.S.) in the 1100s, haven't been invited to configure yet at of 9/9. I like what I know about the Sig version but don't think I need Performance (notwithstanding the glowing reviews, the breaking of the Consumer Reports ratings, etc.). Questions:

It appears that Performance can't be declined on the Sig, do I understand that correctly?
If so, and if I wanted to drop the Performance option, do we know if I would go to the bottom of the non-Sig waiting list (like anyone else reserving today, say)?
P.S. Am I the only SigX reservation who doesn't want Performance?

1. Seems to be correct, no choice on powertrain except L-mode.

2. You'd have to ask sales if you could return to your original, non-Sig position in line. Mine was P34xx. I don't know if they do or not - but you would not be able to jump the production queue at all. It's either that, or the back of the line.

3. If the option were there, my wife and I would consider the basic 90D for drivetrain. Personally, I think it's plenty and the performance will be pretty reasonable.

It’s been discussed, read up in the X section. But what is it about P that you don’t want? There seems to be an assumption that a non-P would have lots more range but my guess is that there would be maybe 15 more EPA rated miles with a smaller rear motor. That’s about how much the X could get if it could drop the side view mirrors.

It’s been discussed, read up in the X section. But what is it about P that you don’t want? There seems to be an assumption that a non-P would have lots more range but my guess is that there would be maybe 15 more EPA rated miles with a smaller rear motor. That’s about how much the X could get if it could drop the side view mirrors.

Sorry I missed the discussion in the X section. For my part, I'm not expecting big range differences (assume it will be similar to S/85D vs. S/P85D), but it would be fine with me to have a final cost of ~113K instead of 133K, and a 0-60 time of 4.9 (say) vs. 3.7 is more than adequate for my needs.

Sorry I missed the discussion in the X section. For my part, I'm not expecting big range differences (assume it will be similar to S/85D vs. S/P85D), but it would be fine with me to have a final cost of ~113K instead of 133K, and a 0-60 time of 4.9 (say) vs. 3.7 is more than adequate for my needs.

Exactly. P upgrade is typically 20k and you lose something like 15-16 EPA miles. So paying more, for less range and a performance gain you may not want (or need).

SigX1100, I'm right there with you. Since it is a family vehicle, I'd rather have the extra range, and not pay $20K for Performance that I'm never going to use. The only plus side to Performance that I've thought of is that it might help with the tow option, since towing a trailer for long distances is bound to put a strain on the motor, and the 500hp larger motor in back would probably help that.

Since we are SigX #1015, we will take Performance if that is the only option, though. Since we plan to keep the car for 20 years, in the long run it won't be that big a deal.

Ron

Have a call into the config team for the X. I'd like to know the following before finalizing:
* GVWR
* Production version costs and specs
* Range gain on non-P vs. P
* Range gain/loss on 22" vs. 20" tires
* What the front looks like

I'm really at a loss for why Tesla has to keep this secret. If they invite someone to configure, they should have shown the car and all specs already. What's the harm in a buyer knowing EXACTLY what they are getting for $132,000.00 dollars!?!? Some people care about exactly what they're buying for that kind of money. I see no downside to waiting until the full details are released.

Have a call into the config team for the X. I'd like to know the following before finalizing:
* GVWR

I'm really at a loss for why Tesla has to keep this secret. If they invite someone to configure, they should have shown the car and all specs already. What's the harm in a buyer knowing EXACTLY what they are getting for $132,000.00 dollars!?!? Some people care about exactly what they're buying for that kind of money. I see no downside to waiting until the full details are released.

I agree. The performance is a sticking point for me. I looked it up: it was a $7,500 option as a Signature S reservation holder. $20K is steep to be standard for X Signature.

I doubt we'll get the price break out for standard production options. We didn't get the price break out when configuring Signature S.

I am also on the fence concerning P85DX (or whatever it will be designated as). I am a SigS and now a SigX as well. For my SigS I picked the P85 at 4.2sec 0-60. That is PLENTY of pickup for me and everyone who has ridden in my vehicle. I have driven a P85D (only Insane mode) which is almost irrationally TOO FAST! I don't believe I would need anything faster than a 4.2sec 0-60 which I suspect one would get with an 85DX, AND it would be $10000-$15000 cheaper with appropriately less Sales Tax, etc.

The joy for me is in the NO GAS, High Tech, lots of space, and the rest of the ECO-system building up around Teslas. I use SuperChargers, love the OTA Feature updates, quiet ride, minimal service, etc. etc. etc.

I hope later SigXs will have a choice rather like SigSs had.

2 cents and counting.

jdiii

* GVWR

DJ: Please post here or PM me once you get answers to these questions. I want performance on my S but would rather have the greater range and lower cost of a non performance drivetrain. I have placed a call to an inside sales person with similar questions and will let you know if I hear anything. There is no reason after loaning TM $40K for two years that we can not at least get the price list/options for the production series. I realize to save $ all the Sigs are basically 'the same' and I can accept that TM may not offer the smaller motor in the 'Sig' package...BUT we should have all information available before configuring/confirming.

I agree. The performance is a sticking point for me. I looked it up: it was a $7,500 option as a Signature S reservation holder. $20K is steep to be standard for X Signature.

I doubt we'll get the price break out for standard production options. We didn't get the price break out when configuring Signature S.

Just out of curiosity (I'm not a Sig res), what happens if you are invited to configure, and you don't? Can you just configure any time you feel you have enough information, or do you lose your place in the queue? Is there a time limit? I have seen that the Sig holder can configure and take their chances, and I have seen that they can opt out, and I have seen that they MIGHT be able to jump to the Production queue.

But what happens if they just do nothing, waiting to have sufficient information to decide?

Just out of curiosity (I'm not a Sig res), what happens if you are invited to configure, and you don't? Can you just configure any time you feel you have enough information, or do you lose your place in the queue? Is there a time limit? I have seen that the Sig holder can configure and take their chances, and I have seen that they can opt out, and I have seen that they MIGHT be able to jump to the Production queue.

But what happens if they just do nothing, waiting to have sufficient information to decide?

That's a question I've asked as well, and I honestly don't know. At this point, I know what I want should I stay sig, but I haven't pressed the little red button. There's nothing that I see that's urging me to do it by a certain date.

I'm of the mind they just opened it up so that they could say they did.

That's a question I've asked as well, and I honestly don't know. At this point, I know what I want should I stay sig, but I haven't pressed the little red button. There's nothing that I see that's urging me to do it by a certain date.

I'm of the mind they just opened it up so that they could say they did.

I appear to no longer have access to the reservation contract, but this was posted here in response to a similar question from me:

6. Deferral and Non-Transferability

If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that
you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your
reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be
determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not
communicate your decision to us within ten (10) days of notification
under paragraph 4, you will automatically be granted such a deferral.

That sounds to me like you have ten days.

I appear to no longer have access to the reservation contract, but this was posted here in response to a similar question from me:

That sounds to me like you have ten days.
I believe the Model S one had language like that, but I don't see anything like that in the one for Model X (which you can view once you click order, but not confirm)

* GVWR

Here was the response I received. None of my questions were answered except for the one on range difference between 20 and 22" tires. The guy said that the difference would be negligible. I can't take that to the bank though.

I asked if there was any harm in waiting until the reveal event and he said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I understand someone with a later reservation number may get their car earlier than me. No problems there. However, the person also said that should I decide to defer my signature reservation to a production that it would be as if I made the production reservation today. That's super annoying for us sigs that don't like the option set. On the contrary he did say that he sat in the model X recently and was wowed by the unannounced features.

My recommendation for anyone uncomfortable with spending that kind of money without knowing what you're getting...just wait until the reveal event. Many more details will be available then. Tesla will be just fine and so will you.