Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Prius Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tuned into the 2016 Prius reveal that happened about a half hour ago. I must say, it was one of the biggest wastes of time that I've managed in a while. The reveal didn't include any hard facts regarding pricing, efficiency, etc. It's was all about ooo'ing and ahh'ing over the design (which isn't that great IMHO). They had an emcee, but I'm not quite sure why. Beginning to end couldn't have lasted longer than 10 minutes. If that's what one of largest automaker's reveal events look like for one of their most iconic vehicles, Tesla has them beat by a mile (even with Elon's occasional unpolished nature). Looking forward to the Model 3 event in March...

Here are a couple of images, but for more, click here.

tOYOTA-pRIUS-16.jpg
NA-2016-Toyota-Prius-2.jpg
NA-2016-Toyota-Prius-5.jpg

Uggg...did they try to make it uglier than the last?? The old ICE companies keep trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole and it's so painful to watch. And I'm cheering for them all to do well in designing a great EV - they still just don't "get it"

I was a Prius fan, owning a 2008 and 2013 for a combined 7 years of Prius driving. That new one is ugly and I would have bought something else when it was time to replace it. Fortunately I switched to Tesla.

At the end of the day all that really matters is will it sell like hotcakes in Japan?

The front reminds me of angry bird.
And the rear 3/4 reminds me of a 90's GM economy car. Gruesome. They're still persisting with putting the speedo where the driver can't see it and watch the road at the same time. After 3 generations of trying unconventional stunts with that, it's time for that particular "feature" to go away. At least the gearshift is out of the center console again. That space is way more valuable as storage. The 2nd gen had the gearshift and center console right. 3rd gen messed it up. 4th gen starts to correct it.

@TEG, was thinking the same thing! Almost as much as the Lincoln MKZ says "plastic surgery" :)

While the Prius has not been my favorite looking compact car, the updates don't seem to make it better, but to my eye look worse. I think it is mostly the rear groves that make it looked "raked" in a way that looks unbalanced.

But I find the explanation to be telling about why "aesthetics" might not be a top priority:

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/the-2016-toyota-prius-has-just-been.html

"Big news comes from the fact this new Prius benefits from the first application of Toyota's New Global Architecture, their take on a modular basis for a raft of new models. The company says the new platform allows a lower center of gravity, stronger passenger compartment and a new double-wishbone rear suspension. The 2016 Prius is 2.4 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider and 0.8 inches lower than the old car, but Toyota also insists this one is actually fun to drive."