Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I have a garage with a relatively low ceiling (8'). My garage door, when open, allows for only 88" of clearance. I've had a lot of concerns about the falcon wing door clearance - if I can't open the doors in my garage, I may wind up in the very sad position of canceling my reservation and waiting on the M3.

I took the configuration page photo, and did a very rough measurement with some labels. From this, it appears the clearance with doors open is about 94". Note that the green line doesn't actually perform the measurement, it's just to show the total of the two red lines. I realize there's probably some play in this because of the functionality of the doors. It'll be interesting to see in person how this goes. Once Sig deliveries have occurred, I may ask a favor of one to stop the door at 86-87" and take a photo for me.

Adding other dimensions for future readers of the thread:

Length: 198" (503cm)
Width (mirrors extended): 89.4" (227cm)
Height (doors closed): 66.3" (168.4cm)
Height (doors open, estimated): 94" (238.8cm)
Ground Clearance: 7.2" (18.3cm)

Here's the labeled photo.

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 2.03.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure it says there are sensors to stop it hitting the ceiling. Also it opening a few inches below 88" will still give a large enough opening to get in and out of.

What about the width, you got enough space at the sides to get in and out of? In the UK, tesla s and x wont fit in 90% of the garages, they are too wide to get in and out of. You would have to get in and out of the tail gate. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Horizon-Canopy-Garage-Door-2134x1981mm/p/214708

I had the same question although I am most worried about the length at 198" (I think it was). We have shelving in front of the garage which just might have to go. I have been looking at roll-up garage doors but the look and price stopped me from going that route. The sensors can only do so much. The roof part of the doors need to open otherwise the vertical part will swing way to far out.

I would think that the falcon doors will have adjustments for height like the Model S rear hatch. Length is a problem the S barely fits to allow anything in front of it. Adjusting sensors to get as far back as possible without the garage door hitting on the rear bumper.

I went ahead and added the full dimensions to my original post, as it's obvious people have other concerns. The door clearance width is fine for my garage, but since I don't know the arc of the doors, I don't know if my side clearance inside of the garage will be enough. I would like to know how far out they'll be once they stop at 86" or whatever the tolerance is for obstruction.

This post made me go remeasure my garage. I've got exactly 94" to the rafters, and 83.5" at the tracks for the garage door. I'm not so concerned about the rafters, but depending on where the doors line-up the track may be an issue.

I would rather not rely on the the efficacy of the sensors to keep the door from hitting the ceiling, and if I have to it may mean that I'll need to partially finish the garage ceiling.

I'm sure air-suspension could potentially aid in this, though.

This post made me go remeasure my garage. I've got exactly 94" to the rafters, and 83.5" at the tracks for the garage door. I'm not so concerned about the rafters, but depending on where the doors line-up the track may be an issue.

My 88" figure is to the tracks. I am expecting to open and close the FWs with the garage door open, which means the door itself will be aligned with the tracks. I'll be very interested in the width of door to door as well when they're open. Roughly, the doors are 59" tall (66.3" - 7.2"). So that's 2 * 59" = 118" of width if they touched in the middle, which we know they don't. At best, they'll extend (118" - 89.4") / 2 (sides of the car) = 14.3" past the side mirrors. Probably more like 16", given the clearance between the doors.

Perhaps I should do a mock up of this tomorrow.

A rollup door can have a bracket that hangs down from the center of the door when in the open position. The adjustable part of the bracket can hang down even lower. Mine is 94.5" at the low point and 96" if the extra unused adjustable part was cut off. Looking at the photo of the Model X in post #1 shows the Falcon Wing raised doors lower with increased distance from the center of the vehicle. I should be safe as is, with an easy fix if the excessive part needs to be removed. I can think of some parking structures where a distance check may be best before opening the doors.

My garage door tracks are 85 inches high and I have a well tank just about where the Falcon doors will open, so I guess the worse case scenero is back the X out of the garage and then open the doors.

With tracks and the door at 85 inches, you probably want the FWs to stop at 84 (at the highest). That's only 18" above the roofline of the MX, which doesn't give you much space to open them - one could imagine the side of the door, which is parallel to the ground, being lowered on the hinge from the pano section. However, I think the pano section will be greater than 18" alone. So I think you and I are in very similar situations.

I have two children and the idea of pulling out to open the doors will be a deal breaker for me, sadly. Still hopeful I'm missing something.

My 88" figure is to the tracks. I am expecting to open and close the FWs with the garage door open, which means the door itself will be aligned with the tracks.

I could see how that would be an issue. We close the door to the garage before getting out, because there is the possibility that one of our kids (ages 3.5 and 1.5) will run out of the door. Our garage is detached and abuts the alley.

With tracks and the door at 85 inches, you probably want the FWs to stop at 84 (at the highest). That's only 18" above the roofline of the MX, which doesn't give you much space to open them - one could imagine the side of the door, which is parallel to the ground, being lowered on the hinge from the pano section. However, I think the pano section will be greater than 18" alone. So I think you and I are in very similar situations.

I have two children and the idea of pulling out to open the doors will be a deal breaker for me, sadly. Still hopeful I'm missing something.

Ohman, feel free to extract additional stuff from this older thread and repost it here (Model X Garage Measurement Requirements) All those estimates were against older pictures but there seemed to be a consensus it would top off at 92 in.

Ohman, feel free to extract additional stuff from this older thread and repost it here (Model X Garage Measurement Requirements) All those estimates were against older pictures but there seemed to be a consensus it would top off at 92 in.

Thanks, EchoDelta. I'm sorry I missed that thread. Maybe mods can move the entirety of this thread to the bottom of that one. Once I get a chance later today, I'll try to extract and combine the two estimates and come up with something.

In addition, any Sigs out there that have been asked to configure; would you mind just asking what the height is with the doors open? Better than my guesswork!

• Helpful
Reactions: ming
Thanks, EchoDelta. I'm sorry I missed that thread. Maybe mods can move the entirety of this thread to the bottom of that one. Once I get a chance later today, I'll try to extract and combine the two estimates and come up with something.

In addition, any Sigs out there that have been asked to configure; would you mind just asking what the height is with the doors open? Better than my guesswork!

Ugh sorry I didnt want to suggest that this thread is fine. I was truly suggesting 'see what info you can scavenge from there'
...and about asking, that's a smart thing :)