Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage?

Did you purchase the Extended Warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SarasotaModelS

2017 Model X P100D Ludicrous AP3.0, FSD, MCU2
Mar 22, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
I have a 2012 P85. 36,000 miles. My manufacturer's warranty will expire probably in a year from now as I inch closer to 50K miles. Tesla is offering a extended warranty package for $4000 which would extend the warranty for another 4 years and 50K miles. I am contemplating it but would like to see how many owners have opted for the extended warranty.

I voted no, and no plans to buy it, even though that's not true.

I did not buy it, I am undecided if I will be buying it or not. Depends on how well my car does in the first 50k miles, and how much I drive per year (3 months, 8k miles so far. it's summer, we drive more. But at this rate, the 4-year/50k extended warranty would be used up in about 1.5 years, so totally not worth it).

I have a 2012 P85. 36,000 miles. My manufacturer's warranty will expire probably in a year from now as I inch closer to 50K miles. Tesla is offering a extended warranty package for $4000 which would extend the warranty for another 4 years and 50K miles. I am contemplating it but would like to see how many owners have opted for the extended warranty.

I personally would not risk ownership without a warranty so you may want to consider getting it if you plan to continue owning the car.

One caveat about the Tesla Extended Warranty (ESA) is that it comes with a $200 PER ISSUE deductible. (If you have multiple door handles fail I wonder if that is $200 for all the door handles or $200 for each door handle... :rolleyes:)

Many comparable premium car warranties come with a zero deductible so this $200 per issue deductible is the highest in the industry that I know of.

I am in a like quandary about buying it. I have had my S85 for 11 months, and just hit 44,000 miles on it, after a 7600 mile trip from Lodi, California to North Bay, Ontario, Canada, and back. I bought the car to drive it.

I think that Tesla's unorthodox car company mentality does them a disservice when compared to ESA's offered by other conventional companies. Most other companies just extend the time and mileage limitatuions, while maintaining the same terms and conditions of coverage. In addition, EM says EV's are more reliable than ICE vehicles, but the Tesla ESA indicates that Tesla is not talking the same talk, nor walking the same walk. In light of Consumers Report ranking the car as Average Reliability, I am concerned about specific items like the air suspension, center display, and smaller items like the door handles.

I have had 1 Drive Unit replacement at about 24,000 miles, and it's sounds like this one is going downhill (same whining turbinesque sounds like the first, but not yet as loud). I also had the passenger side front door handle not retract, and had that fixed under warranty. It's clear that there are few options for replacement parts, and service manuals for the capable home enthusiast is out of reach, except for those in Massachusetts.

I'm going to have to reread the terms and exclusions on the ESA, and then make an informed decision as to which way to go. I think that as more and more MS's come up on their factory warranty expiration, there will be more and more that will e sold on the used car market. I have already heard from other owners saying the same thing, as well as similar comments on the TMC forum. My MS came with the autopilot and h/w upgrades, so a decision to replace it is not viable for me.

I do think that a correction on reliability and repair costs will have a more negative effect on Tesla's vehicles than any troll or naysayer in the media. That said, I still have to reiterate that I think that Tesla's policies, media communications, email responses and general lack of timely and effective communications is a major black stain on Tesla. (The lack of timely responses started with my DS, and has continued since, and has been seconded by many on this forum.)

There are others who have reached the expiration of their 4 yr, 50K warranty. How many have paid for repairs, and what has been their track record with Tesla?

Scotty

I bought it the weekend the price hike was announced & everyone thru a fit & Elon gave us 48 hours to purchase it for $2400, this was before the infinite mile 8 year warranty covering the battery & drive unit was announced.

I'll probably buy it towards the end of the standard warranty period. I plan to keep the car as long as possible, and if not, the extended warranty will help with resale (although not necessarily resale value).

Let's hope the $200 per issue deductible would be rescinded by then... :) Otherwise if all your 4 door handles stop working one day that would be $4,000 for the warranty and $800 in deductibles, $200 for each door handle :tongue:

I think having the extended warranty will definitely help with resale and resale value. If I buy a private party used Tesla, I will only buy one with the Extended Warranty...

I didn't buy and am undecided about whether or not to do so, so I didn't vote. If it weren't for the per-issue charge I'm 95% certain I'd buy it if I were keeping the vehicle past the factory warranty, but with the per-issue fee I'm not so sure. My vehicle has, so far, shown itself to exhibit a pretty substantial number of small issues. The major issues I've had so far were all 8-year/Unlimited drivetrain items for which the ESA provides no benefit. If it's going to be $1k+ with the ESA to fix a bunch of little things that might be 10 minute fixes, I'll probably take my chances. It's conceivable that service with an ESA would actually cost you more than paying out of pocket, even ignoring the additional up-front cost.

I didn't buy and am undecided about whether or not to do so, so I didn't vote. If it weren't for the per-issue charge I'm 95% certain I'd buy it if I were keeping the vehicle past the factory warranty, but with the per-issue fee I'm not so sure. My vehicle has, so far, shown itself to exhibit a pretty substantial number of small issues. The major issues I've had so far were all 8-year/Unlimited drivetrain items for which the ESA provides no benefit. If it's going to be $1k+ with the ESA to fix a bunch of little things that might be 10 minute fixes, I'll probably take my chances. It's conceivable that service with an ESA would actually cost you more than paying out of pocket, even ignoring the additional up-front cost.

I hope they do away with the $200 per issue fee after paying $4,000 to buy the warranty as that is likely the worst Extended Warranty program in the industry and shows Tesla lacks confidence in the long-term reliability of the car.

82k miles on my March 2013 P85. I did not get warranty. post 50k the only out of pocket "would-have-been-warranty-replacements-if-i-purchased-it" right now is a set of TPMS sensors (~$240), full set of lug nuts ($125), and rear upper control arms ($961). also defective windshield ($1261) but I have opted not to do that yet as i'm holding off a bit more until I pay that (they said they would have replaced it for free if I had the extended warranty). if you add all of those up its $2,587 so I'm still "ahead of the game" if had I purchased that warranty. I don't forsee any other expenses in the next 18k miles before I reach 100k (I drive 1200 miles/week right now, so basically within the next few months).

outside of those the only other expenses are two sets of tires and 3 annual service visits. I've had numerous warranty repairs pre-50k. I'm also on my 4th DU probably 5th (I can sort of hear the start of the milling noise again). but obviously the DUs are still under the 8yr unlimited mile warranty.

At $4k, I probably wouldn't move forward with it. That's a lot of repairs to get to $4k unless your main screen dies or something. Battery and motor are covered for 8yrs. If you purchased it before the price hike, that is worth it at $2.4k. But at $4k? You're going to need to break a few things to capitalize on that amount. Isnt this car designed with minimal parts unlike a gas car? There's going to be enough smashed up Model S's where you can probably buy used parts at 1/4 of the cost Tesla charges if you are a DIY type of person.

Definitely no. Doesn't make sense if you drive as much as I do. I drive 50k miles a year so it would only last for 12 months. $4k isn't the end of it. You still pay a deductible for any repair that is covered under the extended warranty. A lot of stuff would have to go wrong within these 12 months for it to make economical sense. It just doesn't make sense to buy it.

I typically like extended warranties/service plans; however, this one has me a little on the fence. It'll be a while before I have to decide even but if you read it over, the exclusions section is huge, and in reading it seems to exclude just about everything on the car, or 80% of what can go wrong. I think I'll have a long talk with the service center on truly what is not excluded that it would cover before paying the $4K at this point, or perhaps they will offer an improved version without so many exclusions.

Still debating this one myself.

I am at 2.5 years of ownership and have 13,000 miles on the car. No, I don't drive that much. But, I've had three 12V batteries, 6 door handles, two mirrors, an alignment, several investigations of rattles and other smaller items repaired. No big ticket ones yet. I have a general concern that the long cold and salty winters will create problems for the car.