Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take for your Model S to be repaired after an accident?

• <= 2 weeks

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • > 2 weeks & <= 1 month

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • > 1 month & <= 2 months

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • > 2 months [ OMG :-O This is insane!!]

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Never. Car totaled :-(

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure your answer depends greatly on the type of damage received and your location but the poll/thread could still prove to be interesting.

Sadly, my car has been sent to the auto body shop 2 times. It seems to be a magnet for this sort of stuff compared to any other car I've owned. At 32 years old the maximum number of accidents I've had in a car before my Tesla was a grand total of 1. Latest incident a lady decides to come into an intersection an rear end me when I had a green arrow light.

I'm curious what other people's experience is with getting their Model S repaired.
The worst part of owning this car is getting the car repaired if it's been damaged in an accident. Parts take forever to get shipped from CA to the east coast and it seems aluminum body work takes longer to work with than the standard materials used in other cars. This boils down to both of my incidents taking over 30 days before the car is repaired which seems like the standard time for car rental allowances through insurance. If I didn't have a second car to use I'd be completely screwed. Am I alone with this?!?

Someone reared my car at Verizon store and week after I had my tail light replaced at Tesla service center.

They even tried using touch pen and masking the defect...(Note my car had only scratches with no dents).

3-4 weeks later my car was repaired at Tesla certified body shop.

During those 3-4 weeks took time to get quotes from two different body shops...

My first trip into the shop was major and took about 52 days to get back. Front bumper, fender, headlight, hood, foglight, a/c condenser, radiator, steering column, rim, and suspension damage. Worst accident I'd ever want to have but I'm glad I had it in a Model S.

Second trip to the shop was about 38 days. Not as major as the first one. Damage to rear fender, rear taillight, rear bumper, and rear tire. 10+ days to get initial batch of parts then fender was damaged and took another 3+ days to get the undamaged fender. Sure would be nice if the parts weren't coming all of the way from California.

Had a lady back into me in a parking lot. Took about a week to get a quote. Then another 2-3 weeks for them to schedule me to bring the car in and then another 10 days to do the work. So about a month exactly. I had JUST got the white carpool sticker 2 weeks before and then had to re-apply. Mine was fully drive-able with the damage. The insurance company gave me a Kia Optima which sat in my driveway for a week while I drove my LEAF.

I have a 23 year old Toyota pickup truck that no one has ever hit... go figure my Tesla gets hit after 2 months.

This has been reported in several previous threads, but I want to re-emphasize that "Tesla Certified" generally means more time and more money. If that is worth it to you, then go for it.

I had a fairly serious dent right at the juncture of the rear bumper and rear hatch. Punched a hole in the bumper, bent the hatch and the car under the hatch.

I went to a repair shop that had experience with high end aluminum cars. I opted out of getting replacement parts for just getting the metal bumped out as smooth as possible and using bondo to finish, and repaint. Same with the bumper. It is not noticeable to anyone I have shown the car to, although I told the buyer that my car had been hit and repaired. Most cars have.

I have seen similar accidents amount to several thousand dollars. Mine was less than $2000, and was done in a week. The only way you can tell is that I have more money in my credit card account.

I am not sure why A) some places charge such high prices, or B) why people are willing to pay so much, but I think it is price gouging and insisting on new parts, for what reason I don't know, unless parts are really marked up (I suspect).

Shop around, don't necessarily use Tesla Certified Shops, and do a reality check on why they want to put on new parts.

Do other people also get an annual inspection after an accident? If not I highly recommend it.
After the shop fixed my car the first time, Tesla did a thorough check of the car for inspection and found a hairline fracture in a part and I go it replaced and paid for by insurance. Definitely worth the price of inspection in this case.

We had some road debris damage the driver's side rear wheel well and rear bumper (right where it meets the wheel well). No idea what the object was, but it left a 1 inch tear in the bumper cover, and hit enough of the metal to crack the paint, but not dent anything. Repair involved re-painting the quarter panel and painting/installing a new bumper cover.

Repair only took a few days -- dropped it off in a Mon and picked it up Fri.

For comparison, I had a bumper replacement on a prior car that involved similar work that took close to a month...