Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E E-9 cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a FYI to all PG&E E-9 rate customers. I just noticed PG&E has cancelled the E-9 rate and moved me to the E-6 rate schedule. They supposedly moved everyone on E-9 to either E-1, E-6 or EV based on their last 12 months of bills. I recommend all E-9 customers check their PG&E account to see what rate they moved you to and what your new peak and off-peak hours are.

Yes, that's correct. You can find more information here about the E-9 phase out:

New Electric Vehicle Rate Options

I'm currently on EV-A with solar and a Tesla. I would encourage you to be on that too. Let's just say that this combination is ridiculous and leads to highly profitable arbitrage ... we get to sell at near $.40/kWh and buy back at $0.09/kWh. In August, my 3.3 kW (small) solar system generated $135 of PG&E credits, while the system only costs $35 a month out of a HELOC. PG&E won't always be subsidizing solar and EVs so favorably, but during the early adoption phase, this is a great deal.

Driving on stored sunlight = pwnage.

You can also find out when you log into Pacific Gas and Electric Company, under My Energy, what rate plan is best for you. Just go to "My Usage" then "Compare My Rates." The calculator examines your last 12 months of usage, by time of day and total amount, and gives you how much you would pay under E-1, E-6, EV-A, etc. If you're already on the EV-A, the calculator may not be enabled at this point.

- K

I have been on E-9 with solar for more than 2 years. My 8/24 NEM statement shows "Rate Schedule: E A9XB/NEMS". I cannot find anything in my account indicating that I have been kicked off E-9. I don't really care at this point because in the Winter season I would pay less on Schedule EV. However, E-9 is really dirt cheap in the summer.

I'm not sure based on your wording but I think you are a little unclear on the arrangement.

The he forty cents etc is only for a credit. If you over generate for the year, you only get paid wholesale.

That's right. In the absence of a feed-in tariff, any overgeneration is paid for at $0.03-0.04/kWh. Most people won't be in this category since PG&E requires an EGI application that sizes the system to be no larger than 110% of anticipated annual use.

Of course, this may all change in the future.

- K

That's right. In the absence of a feed-in tariff, any overgeneration is paid for at $0.03-0.04/kWh. Most people won't be in this category since PG&E requires an EGI application that sizes the system to be no larger than 110% of anticipated annual use.

Of course, this may all change in the future.

- K

I will be getting a small check from PGE at the end of my first 12 months. We over engineered it with future growth planned such as a Tesla, a hot tub and a few other things we haven't installed yet, so we are over generating by about 300 KWh per month at least. The tesla purchase was pushed back some, but even if we get it towards the end of the first year I doubt we can use up much of the stored overage. It's also been far sunnier this summer in Monterey than usual, so our production has been higher than expected.

I switched to the EV from the E-9A rate about a year ago. What region/territory you are in will make a BIG difference on E-9. My problem was that a year ago they lowered the baseline amounts and my region lowered the base to 7.5 kWh/day during summer and (I think) 9.1 kWh/day in winter. That's really low. Most areas get more kWh in summer than in winter. That baseline is the real problem with E-9. The baseline is based on regional usage for homes, an electric car makes that calculation really far off, power usage will strongly be determined by how much you drive not by your home. Solar with EV looks really good as others have pointed out.

I have been on E-9 with solar for more than 2 years. My 8/24 NEM statement shows "Rate Schedule: E A9XB/NEMS". I cannot find anything in my account indicating that I have been kicked off E-9. I don't really care at this point because in the Winter season I would pay less on Schedule EV. However, E-9 is really dirt cheap in the summer.

I switched to the EV from the E-9A rate about a year ago. What region/territory you are in will make a BIG difference on E-9. My problem was that a year ago they lowered the baseline amounts and my region lowered the base to 7.5 kWh/day during summer and (I think) 9.1 kWh/day in winter. That's really low. Most areas get more kWh in summer than in winter. That baseline is the real problem with E-9. The baseline is based on regional usage for homes, an electric car makes that calculation really far off, power usage will strongly be determined by how much you drive not by your home. Solar with EV looks really good as others have pointed out.
If you don't have solar, I am certain almost every customer with an EV would be better off on Schedule EV due to the lack of tiers. My case is marginal - Summer is cheaper on E-9 and Winter is cheaper on EV, but it balances out and my 2014 actual was maybe $50/year less on E-9

PG&E E-9 cancelled

Got solar recently - a 3.8 kW system that's been producing about 16-17 kWh per day for the past few, sunny days. Our daily non-EV consumption, with no A/C, a gas dryer and furnace but with electric cooktop, etc. pretty much tops out at 10-12 kWh all through the year. Both EVs get charged at my workplace through the course of the week.

Given all that, I'm staying on E-1 for now and will see how the winter goes with fewer sunny hours. Schedule EV is tempting given the lopsided nature but, I may end up overproducing and getting just the wholesale rate for the surplus.

I will be getting a small check from PGE at the end of my first 12 months. We over engineered it with future growth planned such as a Tesla, a hot tub and a few other things we haven't installed yet, so we are over generating by about 300 KWh per month at least. The tesla purchase was pushed back some, but even if we get it towards the end of the first year I doubt we can use up much of the stored overage. It's also been far sunnier this summer in Monterey than usual, so our production has been higher than expected.

kf,

Perhaps your situation is different from ours. We own a rental house that we purchased with a 3.2kW solar array on the roof. Our son lives in the house and rarely uses a lot of electricity, so at the end of our annual true-up period we show a credit on the surplus electricity pushed onto the grid. Yes, the rate is around 3 1/2 cents per kWh. However, we have never been issued a check from PG&E. Granted, the amount of our credit has varied from $25 to $60, but they just apply this amount to our future billings for both the monthly meter fee of about $4.50 plus whatever the monthly charge is for gas. It takes about 3-5 months to exhaust this credit. Maybe if your settlement is larger, you will actually receive coin of the realm, but they flat out told me, "Not for you!"

The way I understand it from the solar installer and from reading the PGE webpage, you only get a check if you generate more in kWh than you use. It's possible to have a net dollar surplus if you happen to make less than you use because you make it during the day at a high cost per kWh and use it at night and off peak at lower cost but you don't get a check just for a cost surplus, you have to have a power surplus. Because most systems are limited to 110% of your usage most people don't have a significant energy surplus, they have a cost differential surplus. Because we sized our system for the eventual purchase of a Tesla and haven't done it yet, we are running a large energy surplus, which is eligible for a payout at the end of the 12 month true-up period. It's at the wholesale rate of less than 4 cents per kWh, so there's not a lot of incentive to go put a huge system on your house and try to pay for it with your check from the power company, but since I have three young kids who will eventually be teenagers in the house and we plan on at least one EV in the near future, we decided to make a larger solar system from the beginning.

Since I pay my bill monthly based on what I owe instead of paying at the true up period sometimes I have a small credit and they then apply that to the following year, I have never received a check and as far as I PG&E will not send you a check.
So you just send in a payment even though they don't bill you? My usage is generally about $100 a month and they don't want my money until the true up date. Better for me since I get the float.

Correct. You only get a check if your energy use is negative. The credit just protects you month to month but does not result in a payout.

Most of you will be getting a letter from pge this week that your grid connection charge is more than doubling to $10.

Last edited:
Information from the PG&E website:
http://www.pge.com/cgi-bin/pevcalculator/PEV/

PG&E rates.JPG
EV plans.JPG

Correct. You only get a check if your energy use is negative. The credit just protects you month to month but does not result in a payout.
Most of you will be getting a letter from pge this week that your grid connection charge is more than doubling to $10.

Yep, got ours today.

AKA, thanks for getting solar, but we're still going to find a way to bill you for it.

Yes, I received my notification for the $10/month charge.
I don't mind paying for my share of the grid since I use the utility as my storage battery in the evenings.

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for that feature either. the key word being reasonable.
Last year, i over produced and put 3300 kwh back into the grid for the year. my payment was 147dollars. subtract the 4.5/mo fee and the means i was compensated 2.3cents per kWh. almost half of the advertised wholesale rate.
With the fee more than doubling, i will get less than a penny per kWh.
I know you don't put in solar and overproduce with the expectation to get rich over it, but i don't have to be taken advantage of either.

addressing the OP topic, my most recent NEMS statement has a new rate schedule. I was on e9a, and now it says E1XB.