Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queen's University EV Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been facilitating an EV charging station initiative at Queen's University in Kingston. They need help with funding the purchase and installation of two, 80 amp, EV charging stations on campus. They plan to cover the electricity and maintenance costs going forward but will rely on donations for the capital cost of installing the charging stations. So far, they are only a third of the way to raising the needed 30K in funds.

I have made a contribution to the EV initiative. I’m hoping others might also contribute. Please find attached a link to make a tax deductible donation to this worthy cause through the Queen’s Sustainability Office.

http://www.queensu.ca/sustainabilit...nsportation/electric-vehicle-charging-station

Would anyone on this forum make use of these charging stations if installed?

Thanks for helping Queen's be a leader in sustainability and electric mobility.

Fraser Horn

Sc89

Last edited:
With the Kingston Supercharger not too far away, this charger would be best used as a 'destination' charger. I would use it occasionally.

My main concern is with the $30K price. Seems expensive.

2 SCH100 - $5600
Double mount pedestal - $1500

Installation (cables, breakers, green paint, signage, holster, cement block) - $22 902.00 ?!??!?!?!

Installation (cables, breakers, green paint, signage, holster, cement block) - $22 902.00 ?!??!?!?!

I can believe it. I installed 2-100 amp SCH chargers at my office. I mounted them on pedestals, had to do a bit of sidewalk work, signs, painting etc. but the biggest cost was trenching and running the 2-100 amp circuits. As much as I'd rather see stations way out in the back of parking lots, this is typically why you see them so close to the building... it just costs so much to trench and run cable.

I can believe it. I installed 2-100 amp SCH chargers at my office. I mounted them on pedestals, had to do a bit of sidewalk work, signs, painting etc. but the biggest cost was trenching and running the 2-100 amp circuits. As much as I'd rather see stations way out in the back of parking lots, this is typically why you see them so close to the building... it just costs so much to trench and run cable.

If you can install it physically on the building, close to the load center, it will be dramatically cheaper. It's all about finding the right location. Then it could be done by a single electrician and he could probably have the whole thing done in a shift.

The moment you go underground you need to involve a bunch of other trades and it becomes very costly. $30,000 seems a bit steep, but I could certainly see 20.

Last edited:
I was going to UWO this past March and was surprised to see that they did not have any charging stations available on campus for destination charging. You would think that universities, especially if they have large Engineering faculties, would be at the leading edge but they are actually way behind most commercial office complexes which have had EV charging stations for a while. So I had to stop at the Woodstock SC in either direction.

I was going to UWO this past March and was surprised to see that they did not have any charging stations available on campus for destination charging. You would think that universities, especially if they have large Engineering faculties, would be at the leading edge but they are actually way behind most commercial office complexes which have had EV charging stations for a while. So I had to stop at the Woodstock SC in either direction.

Yeah. Even Waterloo only has one small station in one of the campus lots... and they're home to WISE.

We have a son going to Western and most times we charge at the TD Canada Trust just across from Maisonville Mall and eat at one of the local restaurants. There are two 30 amp chargers there and are just enough to get us back to Owen Sound. These chargers are solar powered which is nice. I agree that Canadian universities seem to be a total wasteland for chargers judging from Plugshare.

With the Kingston Supercharger not too far away, this charger would be best used as a 'destination' charger. I would use it occasionally.

My main concern is with the $30K price. Seems expensive.

2 SCH100 - $5600
Double mount pedestal - $1500

I was surprised at the cost as well but this location was the best of many. It is quite far from the panel and requires a long run to the opposite side of the building. Hence the high installation cost. Sun Country did a similar cost install at Ball's Falls so it's not way out of line. It may come in a little less than 30K as they were possibly going to be able to piggy back on some landscape lighting trenching that was to be done.

I sent a donation. As a Roadster owner I don't have access to the Supercharger network - this would be a perfect waypoint between Toronto and Montreal. And if the station helps inspire a few young Queen's engineers then it's well worth it.

I sent a donation. As a Roadster owner I don't have access to the Supercharger network - this would be a perfect waypoint between Toronto and Montreal. And if the station helps inspire a few young Queen's engineers then it's well worth it.

Thanks! I agree that inspiring and educating young minds is why charging stations at Universities and Colleges are so important.

Last edited: