Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas at the 2015 Brighton Speed Trials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday September 5th, Brighton sea front

Brighton Speed Trials is a great British tradition. A drag race along Madeira Drive right on the edge of the beach, it started as a flying start kilometre in 1905. For a long time two cars ran side by side along the narrow road but as speeds rose it evolved in to a 1/4 mile sprint from a standing start, one car at a time.
Around 5,000 people turn out to spectate, some for free from the main road above.

An important point when you compare times to those achieved in the US is that there is no roll out, timing starts as soon as the car starts to move.

Charlie Fraser works in sales at Tesla Gatwick and ran their new P85D demonstrator which is one of the first right hand drive Ds in the country. He won the Brighton and Hove handicap and clearly had a great time. Look out for the addition of "Works Driver" to his job title on any future emails!

IMG_2305.jpg

0 to 60 feet: 2.20 seconds. Finish line speed: 106.5 mph. Time: 12.51

Brighton and Hove Motor Club have started up a special class, Class C14 Electric Cars. This was won by James Bromley in a lovely white P85

I competed in the GTD40 Sprint and hill climb series for ten wonderful years and I would love to see us put up at least six cars to compete for the Electric Cars class in future years, both roadsters and Model Ss. Sound off here if you are interested and I'll investigate with Brighton and Hove for 2016. This is a photo of our 40s in the paddock, looks good doesn't it?

254_5444.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the pics, great to see two Tesla's taking part. I've not see a Model S in the new blue but that does look really nice.

>>0 to 60 feet: 2.20 seconds. Finish line speed: 106.5 mph. Time: 12.51>>

I'm slightly surprised that the Gatwick P85D didn't record a faster time!

There have been numerous significantly faster figures recorded for the quarter mile,in the USA, of around 11.5 seconds at 116 mph, and I've seen numerous forum threads suggesting EU cars have had their ultimate performance pegged back a notch, which is worrying bearing in mind how many people may have ordered them based on all the USA media coverage of the earlier P85Ds. It may of course just be down to the way it was driven on the day and other factors.

For comparison to a roadster, I've recorded a standing quarter at Santa Pod, getting 0-60 feet in 1.98s, crossing the line in 13.02s at 102mph.

Thanks for posting the pics, great to see two Tesla's taking part. I've not see a Model S in the new blue but that does look really nice.

>>0 to 60 feet: 2.20 seconds. Finish line speed: 106.5 mph. Time: 12.51>>

I'm slightly surprised that the Gatwick P85D didn't record a faster time!

Is that because other times we've seen are from a rolling start?

That blue does look nice.

Is that because other times we've seen are from a rolling start?

That’s raises the question of 'roll out' as being vigorously debated elsewhere on TMC !

My view is that historically the vast majority of performance car times down a strip have been recorded the same way .. using rollout, so for consistency and valid comparisons to all the past times the same testing method should continue, and manufacturers should continue to quote the 0-60 times.

AFAIK the rollout factor normally reduces the headline 0-60mph time by about 0.2 / 0.3 seconds, becuase its really the 4-60mph time! Tesla Inc have taken advantage of the fact that the P85D's extremely quick 0-60 of 3.5s looks great when reduced to 3.2s due to rollout ..

Personally, I'm not bothered about the actual 0-60 figure, as I am far more interested in the feeling of the 'rate of acceleration' when rolling, or mid range for overtaking etc, and I usually look at the 30-70 or 50-100 figures where available. (I'm also not bothered about whether a car can do 198mph or 217mph as its a complete waste of engineering thats almost impossible to achieve anywhere on the planet ... I'd happily accept a car that is limited to 110/120mph or so, just so long as it gets to 100 mph extremely quickly .. which is kinda what powerful EV's can do)

As for the Santa Pod times, they DO use a sub 1ft rollout in just the same way as USA drag strips. They also report a reaction time, but don't start the clock until you cross a start point at the end of rollout. A delayed launch or slow reaction time won't effect the eventual end time.

Brighton runs under sprint rules, so no roll out. Also, the start area is normal road tarmac and notoriously slippery. Charlie from Gatwick was in his first competition and only had practice plus one timed run because he ran in the Brighton and Hove handicap.

I think all thee combined meant the times weren't comparable with the US. Personally I think a bit more practice along with dropping the tyre pressures could see low 12s in Insane, possibly even high 11s.