Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should there be a "Tesla Day" or an "EV Day" event at the Larz Anderson Museum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Many of the local car clubs (Mercedes, BMW, Corvette, others) have a lawn event at the Larz Anderson Museum in Brookline, MA. Events are on Sundays, and there are 20+ per year.
This year's event list is at http://larzanderson.org/events/lawn-events/2015lawnschedule/

So, shouldn't there be such an event for Tesla, or at least for EVs? I wonder if TMC approached the Museum, a Sunday might be set aside next year for EVs. Would be fun, and a way to promote EVs. (I realize there are no many unclaimed Sundays in the schedule.)

Based upon my experience with the Mercedes-Benz Club, the clubs take care of registering the participating cars and collect a fee. Usually there are prizes for best cars in various classes, etc. Some clubs get corporate sponsors to help with costs, and the sponsors bring cars to display, or set up booths for whatever else they sell (car service, accessories, car care products, etc.). Visitors (spectators who are not displaying cars) pay a fee to the Museum to get into the show, and into the Museum as well.
What I do not know is the cost arrangement between the clubs and the museum (i.e., whether the museum charges for the event, either on a club basis or by car). But we could find out.

I am new here so I do not know how TMC is organized or who decides these things. So, throwing this out for consideration...

@David29, welcome! All ideas are open, and I really like what you've proposed. To say that TMC New England is "organized" is a bit of a stretch; TMC is really just a forum, but it's been the platform for many individuals to organize events for the community of Tesla owners and aficionados. While I'm the moderator, many others have taken leadership roles in organizing events. If you'd like to take your idea and run with it, feel free to use the TMC name in discussions with Lars Anderson and to use this forum to get consensus on event details, etc.

I think it's a cool idea. I'd suggest an EV day - the lawn events can be pretty big (several dozen cars). I suspect it'd be hard to fill the place with Teslas only, so there would be plenty of space for other cars, conversions, etc.

Since National Drive Electric Week is an annual event, having the lawn event annually to coincide with National Drive Electric Week seems like a no-brainer to me. I could see where awards for best cars in classes could be a bit tricky, since at least among Teslas you lose some of the options for judging attributes like restoration and there might be limited application of after-market modifications (I've seen some great stuff, I just don't have a sense of how common it is compared to your more typical auto club event that spans a wide range of models over a wide range of time). Part of the spirit of NDEW would preclude charging admission. Do you think changing that would alter people's willingness to bring their cars (i.e. would folks be more willing to show their cars in a situation where admission is charged)?

I like the idea, I'm just wondering if the wheel is already invented here and maybe it's better to jazz up the rims/tread than to start from scratch with what might become a competing event. If i may, I suggest that lots of folks check out the Larz Anderson event on September 19th* and maybe use that experience as a launch point. Perhaps we can figure out who was the driving force behind this year's event at Larz Anderson and add our support/help next year.

*I'll be there with spouse and in-laws. I'm still working on my parental unit.

Since National Drive Electric Week is an annual event, having the lawn event annually to coincide with National Drive Electric Week seems like a no-brainer to me. I could see where awards for best cars in classes could be a bit tricky, since at least among Teslas you lose some of the options for judging attributes like restoration and there might be limited application of after-market modifications (I've seen some great stuff, I just don't have a sense of how common it is compared to your more typical auto club event that spans a wide range of models over a wide range of time). Part of the spirit of NDEW would preclude charging admission. Do you think changing that would alter people's willingness to bring their cars (i.e. would folks be more willing to show their cars in a situation where admission is charged)?

I like the idea, I'm just wondering if the wheel is already invented here and maybe it's better to jazz up the rims/tread than to start from scratch with what might become a competing event. If i may, I suggest that lots of folks check out the Larz Anderson event on September 19th* and maybe use that experience as a launch point. Perhaps we can figure out who was the driving force behind this year's event at Larz Anderson and add our support/help next year.

*I'll be there with spouse and in-laws. I'm still working on my parental unit.

I'm inclined to agree, and I would attend if I weren't going to be away that weekend.

Also note that there are other applicable events, where we might expose Teslas to people who wouldn't normally be aware of them or any EVs. For example, four of us attended a show of American cars held around fourth of July, 2013: Lets Show Our Strength at the American Car and Truck Day, Brookline MA - Page 2. Never heard about this event last year or this year, come to think of it - some of us should have been there...