Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Tesla overall so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Hate to say this but feel we have been getting the same old 2nd class treatment again even though you could argue with Lotus it may have all began here?

Tesla PR has used the UK pretty well but I can't see any benefits pricing wise? Model X will be 2017 for UK and amazingly priced. Model 3 will be 2018/9 after US gets first dibs.

The US is a huge market, and yes we have VAT not Sales Tax, but looking at US sales and used pricing and how the UK seems to be well behind regarding similar pricing, new sales etc am I an arse for thinking why?

Hi,

Hate to say this but feel we have been getting the same old 2nd class treatment again even though you could argue with Lotus it may have all began here?

Tesla PR has used the UK pretty well but I can't see any benefits pricing wise? Model X will be 2017 for UK and amazingly priced. Model 3 will be 2018/9 after US gets first dibs.

The US is a huge market, and yes we have VAT not Sales Tax, but looking at US sales and used pricing and how the UK seems to be well behind regarding similar pricing, new sales etc am I an arse for thinking why?

So how many Tesla are driving around in the UK now?
Coming from Holland I'm disappointed to see that in four days in London I spotted only one Model S.
And at Waterstones I couldn't even find the Ashley Vance's book about Elon Musk !

A lot of work to do in the UK!

UK always gets shafted with pricing. I remember I checked a while back how much a Model S would cost in pounds compared to euros and it was something like 20% more expensive in the UK. Atm we do get 5000 pounds discount here though and no road tax. In america its,again, cheaper than in the EU, but they have to add their 8% VAT equivalent at the end (?) and generally earn less than we do.

UK always gets shafted with pricing. I remember I checked a while back how much a Model S would cost in pounds compared to euros and it was something like 20% more expensive in the UK. Atm we do get 5000 pounds discount here though and no road tax. In america its,again, cheaper than in the EU, but they have to add their 8% VAT equivalent at the end (?) and generally earn less than we do.

Another argument for the UK to join the Euro! Would love to have you in!

Ipe I do not think this would change anything, or just make it worse. The UK keeps the value of our currency artifically high and equally pays us higher wages than the rest of the world. However, from my observation you enjoy a much higher standard of living in let's say Germany than in the UK. Despite that our wages here are probably about 20-30% higher, stuff like higher general prices, insane insurance costs, housing cost, energy, water, alcohol, hifi products, professional costs, tax, transport, university fees, stock market fees etc makes more than up for it.

If we were to join the eurozone we would simply get slightly higher wages and the prices would continue to be as high. At least at the moment we still have the benefit that importing products from the EU is sometimes pretty cheap.

I don't think it's fair to say the UK keeps it's currency "artificially high", the exchange rate is freely set by markets based on an number of economic factors, albeit govenment monetary policy is a big factor in that.

Germany might be better off but the rest of Europe (the South, France) is struggling and this is exacerbated by being in the same currency union as Germany, principally due to the loss of control over monetary policy and the lack of a floating exchange rate to act as a natural stabiliser.

I remember chatting to a bunch of Irish friends at the time of their joining the Euro and the only thing they noted was that everything had got dramatically more expensive, so anecdotally I'm not sure things would get cheaper.

As you might have guessed, I'm probably not the biggest fan of the UK joining the Euro!

Me neither. Despite that things would be easier for me if the UK would join the Eurozone.

After Germany went from the DMark to Euro everything increased in price by about 20% and while prices went up massively over the last 15 years, wages essentially stayed the same.

I guess the argument would be right hand vs. left hand drive car as well. If Tesla ever opens up in Ireland, then that would provide a good pound vs euro comparison. However, I do agree with the notion that UK prices will tend to be higher. Vendors have been "fleecing" the UK for decades, it's not going to stop now imho.