Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Tesla snow tire package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I live in New England and I'd like snow tires for my new S85D. I'd also like to do this through my local SC, but I've read many not-so-good reviews of the Pirellis they sell.

I'd like to get the 4 wheels and TPMS through Tesla. The package is $2500. They will also do free change overs when I need to go from summer to winter tires and back; all for free.

When I asked them if they would install another tire that I buy myself and they mount and install, they said no. They only mount the Pirellis that they sell in the package.

I know I could go elsewhere to get this done but should I be more comfortable with getting this all through Tesla? I've heard that Town Fair Tire does this.

I'm kinda torn about what to do. I was hoping to get the SC to install other/better tires.

As an aside, why don't they sell better tires?
thanks.

I'm not too far (North of Montreal) and I can attest that with the amount of snow we get here, the Pirellis are at best, average. They are excellent performers on cold pavement and work for most of the time there is no snow. I was expecting this but the Snow tire package was, at the time, $150 more than 4 separate wheels + TMPS so I went for them. For $150 I got 4 tires...

I plan to replace the tires with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 before the next season. The grip is amazing, they are almost silent (especially compared to the Pirellis) and more energy efficient!

Same story here : local SC won't install non oem tires. I'll just go to the local high-end tuning shop. I'll bring them the wheels because I swap them myself so I'm not too worried about jacking the S. They are used to 20,21,22in rims. 19in is a piece of cake for them.

I will be going another route.... I have 4 NOS Tesla stock 19" wheels that are powder coated dark metallic grey. Got this set from a TMC member for $850 shipped with center caps.
I will be adding to these, 4 brand new TPMS which will cost $200~.
Then bring them to my local Nokian Tire dealer for a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 snow tires mounted and balanced for $1000~ in size 245/45 R19.
Net outlay will be about $2050.
I will do the mounting and dismounting myself as I have the jacks and jackpoint stands which I use on my other cars as well.

The Nokian tires have an excellent reputation here in the Northeast.
However, if I were not equipped with the tools and ability, then the Tesla snowtire and rim combo is a no brainer as far as price is concerned, How those Pirellis' will perform is yet another matter. I have no experience with them first hand. I suspect they are good. Did you check out TireRack to see how end user's rate them?

Agree with your assessment about the Pirellis...

However...the Nokians have now been ok'd by Tesla, and their Service centers will install them...we picked up our P85D in January of this year...the H2's had just been given the thumbs up, so we had Tesla install them instead of the Pirellis...

I'm not too far (North of Montreal) and I can attest that with the amount of snow we get here, the Pirellis are at best, average. They are excellent performers on cold pavement and work for most of the time there is no snow. I was expecting this but the Snow tire package was, at the time, $150 more than 4 separate wheels + TMPS so I went for them. For $150 I got 4 tires...

I plan to replace the tires with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 before the next season. The grip is amazing, they are almost silent (especially compared to the Pirellis) and more energy efficient!

Same story here : local SC won't install non oem tires. I'll just go to the local high-end tuning shop. I'll bring them the wheels because I swap them myself so I'm not too worried about jacking the S. They are used to 20,21,22in rims. 19in is a piece of cake for them.

Interesting. I spoke my service rep this morning. They said no, only the Pirelli. Maybe I'll call the manager.
thanks

Agree with your assessment about the Pirellis...

However...the Nokians have now been ok'd by Tesla, and their Service centers will install them...we picked up our P85D in January of this year...the H2's had just been given the thumbs up, so we had Tesla install them instead of the Pirellis...

I just spent the last week trying to figure out my winter set for the P85D. I've used Blizzaks for years and love them in the snow. I ended up with a good package from www.getyourwheels.com; 19" TWS Nurburgring wheels, Blizzaks, TPMS, mounted, nitrogen, balanced and shipped to my door for $2800. I'm happy with their wheel selection and convenience of shipping to my door. The SC is over an hour away for me.

I just called another SC about 50+ miles away and they said that its corporate policy to not work on or install any third party tires are anything else.

The price for the wheels, TPMS, and wheel caps are $1420 (everything but the tires).

I guess I'll have to go elsewhere to get my snow tires.

Not really a problem. I live 450 miles from a service center. Ordered the Michelin X-Ice3 from Tire Rack and had them installed at the local Midas. Total cost was less than the Tesla winter tire package, and could have it done locally. Excellent tires, have performed very well in snow and ice and actually in all conditions. Seem to be very efficient as well, low rolling resistance, so no noticeable change in Wh/m due to tires. I also got an extra set of wheels for the winter tires to facilitate swapping. When the car has been in for service, Tesla rotated tires without any problem. When I had a recurrent alignment issue, though, they did ask that I install the OEM wheels and tires before they took it in for service. Swapped them back when the car was returned, a slight PIA but not bad.

Don't get the pirellis. Get the Hakka's, the ice3, or the blizzak.

I agree. I was hoping to use my local (Dedham, MA) SC for this, just to stay with Tesla. But I'll go Town Fair Tire and get the Ice3.
I'll buy the wheels, caps, and TPMS from the SC and bring them to Town Fair Tire.

They say they've worked on Teslas.

Should I be concerned about them driving the car? I know when I had my car inspected I insisted on them not driving the car or touching any controls.
Thanks.

Should I be concerned about them driving the car?

I wouldn't be overly concerned. My experience with that type of tire shop is they are typically busy and try to get cars in and out as quick as possible. They aren't sitting around playing with customers cars. But if you are the only car they are working on, I'd just hang out and wait for them to finish it.

I would put the car in valet mode and check that you can access jack mode with valet on. Show them how to put the car in jack mode for the air suspensions and have them look at the jacking points since the battery sits lower than them. And decide if you want to mate the new TPMS to the car or have them do it.