Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sandy, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the Tesla map for the Northwest has a new item.
Comming soon.png

Is this in Troutdale/Gresham area or on the way up to Mt Hood?

Which ever it is good news for me so I don't have to go South to Woodburn before starting for home.

Last edited:
That's a new addition to the list.

I would expect Troutdale near I-84. Troutdale around Exit 17 is the last civilization before entering the Gorge on the south side of the river. I could see the outlet mall wanting a SC in their parking lot.

Too bad Clark County backed out on the new bridge from Camas to Troutdale (the talk was of extending 192nd in Clark Co across the river. We love going to the Edgefield, but it's a 40 minute drive from here, though only about 3 miles as the crow flies.

There's a bunch of travel oriented stuff in Troutdale so that's not hugely surprising.

I was trying to figure out why they would put one there and failing to come up with an answer... but that's because I live in Eugene and could see no reason for that location from where I live. If, however, one assumes someone coming from the North, say in Seattle. The Centralia to The Dalles is about 170 miles. In a 60 or 70 kWh battery at freeway speeds in the rain that could be an interesting leg of the journey. Putting something in Troutdale would make it easy. Also, this person might be going to Mt. Hood for a day a skiing and would then stop there going and coming, especially in nasty weather.

Oh, my... this will make travel up to Mt. Hood SO nice and easy! The Supercharger will be located at the Fred Meyer parking lot in Sandy, Oregon, just off the Mt. Hood Highway, U.S. 26.

Timberline Lodge, here we come! :biggrin:

Oh, my... this will make travel up to Mt. Hood SO nice and easy! The Supercharger will be located at the Fred Meyer parking lot in Sandy, Oregon, just off the Mt. Hood Highway, U.S. 26.

Timberline Lodge, here we come! :biggrin:

Just curious, is that just your guess for the location, or do you know for sure it's going to be there?

SuperCharger at Fred Meyer in Sandy, Oregon

Just curious, is that just your guess for the location, or do you know for sure it's going to be there?

Confirmed... it's going through the permitting process, and will be located by the Fuel Center. No date yet for when we can expect to swing by and pump those electrons, but I'm sure that as soon as anyone has that info, it will be posted here. :smile:

Confirmed... it's going through the permitting process, and will be located by the Fuel Center. No date yet for when we can expect to swing by and pump those electrons, but I'm sure that as soon as anyone has that info, it will be posted here. :smile:

Interesting, I would have thought they'd put it closer to I-84, but I guess going up to Timberline in a Tesla can drain a battery pretty fast. I was reading a story about someone having range anxiety going up a 4000 foot climb on Mt Washington back east. I was thinking there are two 4000 foot climbs on I-5 between here and Los Angeles and these people would probably panic at the thought of going to Timberline which I believe is somewhere around 6000 feet.

Wow, that's interesting! I've taken my S85 from the west side of Portland to Mt. Hood Meadows and Timberline before on a couple of occasions. I always had lots of range to spare, but given that I like to turn on the heat while I'm still on my last run, I was thinking if I get a D, it would be a 90 just for that. If there's a supercharger in Sandy, though, maybe I should consider a 70D...

It might benefit the people from Portland the most, but it sure does help me because I drive down to Portland a lot.

As a 70D owner I pretty much have to do a full charge in Centralia to make it to Portland and back without having to charge again. Where I use Chademo chargers as a backup.

I still haven't found any really convenient places to charge in Portland, and I'm not about to stop at some over priced hotel.

The woodburn supercharger makes for a good backup as well, but this east Portland backup would be handy too.

Sure, if you hang out in Sandy but downtown and Beaverton/Hillsboro are going to be a fair haul to get a charge - about 30 miles from sandy to downtown. There are lots of Chademos in Portland, I'd use those long before the Sandy SC. There is a bonus, though. The site isn't far from Boring.
large_boring-highway-sign.jpg

I'd definitely prefer one on the west side of Portland still on 26 (junction of 26 and 101) for everyone using the Oregon Coast--much more heavily traveled. Not sure why the path to Mt. Hood is so critical.... But, always glad for a supercharger in the Northwest...

Last edited:
I'd definitely prefer one on the east side of Portland still on 26 (junction of 26 and 101) for everyone using the Oregon Coast--much more heavily traveled. Not sure why the path to Mt. Hood is so critical.... But, always glad for a supercharger in the Northwest...

Isn't the junction of 101 and 26 west of Portland? I'm a bit dyslexic and sometimes say one when I mean the other, so I'm not throwing stones here.

It looks like 101 in California has fairly decent SC coverage but in the NW most of the SCs are only on the interstates. I'm glad to see any of the state or US highways get SCs, it means the network is filling out. It will probably be a while, but a SC on SR 14 in the Gorge would be nice too. It's a popular road among driving enthusiasts. In the summer we see entire motorcycle clubs leaving the Gorge in a big pack. It's like a scene from a biker movie until you actually look at them closer and realize most are white collar professionals with Harleys tricked out for the well off rather than the gangster. I see some high performance cars hugging the curves in the Gorge too. It is a fun road to drive if you have a vehicle good at curvy roads.

Of course I-84 is faster if you just want to get there as fast as possible.

I'd definitely prefer one on the west side of Portland still on 26 (junction of 26 and 101) for everyone using the Oregon Coast--much more heavily traveled. Not sure why the path to Mt. Hood is so critical.... But, always glad for a supercharger in the Northwest...

It defiantly is for me. As I am in Central Oregon, I can drive one way to Portland (up 26) through Sandy, but for the drive back, I have to drive down I5 and then over to Detroit Lake, which adds more than 45 minutes to my commute. Since I have to do this every week, a SC in Sandy will make it an easy journey to and back.

My S85 can easily round trip Portland - Cannon Beach or Seaside/Gearhart, even in the winter. There's no real need for a supercharger there for most people. Plus, there is very good destination charging in Cannon Beach (Chademo, several HPWCs) and I imagine in Seaside as well.

I think a Sandy supercharger would get a lot of use, though.

If I can add my 2 cents...I think a good location for a SC on the west side would be at the Fred Meyer at Cornelius pass road. Is to right off Sunset Hwy and has about 10 restaurants, several coffee shops, close to Hillsboro stadium, close to Intel....sorry no hotels close by. But it is on the way out of portland heading to the beach. And it appears that Tesla and FM can work together. Just a thought!