Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging options near Delta Ottawa City Centre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys -
Just made a last minute plan to drive to Ottawa with my 2 wk old MS70D.
It's exciting and a bit stressful at the same time - having to think about charging options.

I'll be staying at the Delta, downtown Ottawa, and spotted two VER Network Charging stations at Constitution Square Tower II, 350 Albert Street. They did not have much information about this parking lot or EV charging options in the area in general.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know if this building allows overnight parking for two days? If so, how much do they charge?
2. Any other charging options? I looked at what's available on Plugshare.

We'll head out from Richmond Hill, make a pit stop at Kingston supercharger - 264 km. Charge to 100% and head to Delta, Ottawa - 193 km. So I should have plenty of charge (hopefully?)

Any tips, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

This time of year Kingston is a breeze (I am heading there tomorrow and Ottawa Sat). You won't need 100% at Kingston, but if you get more than 1 beer in the Boston Pizza I guess you will have time. From Kingston SC though I would skip the 401 and just head due north on the Perth Road from the SC (called Division Street South 401). It is very scenic, less travelled and will take you up to Hwy 7 then NE on 417 into Ottawa.

In Ottawa I used 150 Elgin Street, last time there, you can blow a cannon ball through the parking garage on a weekend, (stayed at Lord Elgin), maybe a bit of a walk from where you want to stay though. And BTW the best restaurant around is at same address, the Becta Dining and Wine

Last return trip we took Highway 7 and did it with just a 15 min top up at Best Western, to be safe, in Peterborough, it is shorter by about 60 km (You are Richmond Hill, I am Aurora) and because of slower speed you get better kw/km

All the best

As Not an Ice was saying, Highway 10 (aka- Division street), going to/from Kingston will save you some KM, and will get you to Ottawa in about the same amount of time as the main highway. It's a fun, curvy road too ! Enjoy the trip, and congratulations on your new car!

kingston_10.jpg

Last edited:
I think that all of the 3 Ottawa Best Westerns have charge stations as well.

Right now, I look for my overnight accommodation based only on locations with charging stations...save a lot of hassle running around after the fact imo...

The Sun Country Highway map shows this station, just around the corner from your hotel:

Albert At The Bay in Ottawa -

It's a 40A (32A delivered) station.

I think that all of the 3 Ottawa Best Westerns have charge stations as well.

Right now, I look for my overnight accommodation based only on locations with charging stations...save a lot of hassle running around after the fact imo...

Exactly. If I don't know of a hotel that has charging near my destination, I call around and ask. If they say no I ask if they can provide a plug (depending on how long I'm staying). If not then I tell them I will have to go elsewhere. My theory is that if the staff hears that often enough they'll do something about it...

The Brook Street hotel has two Tesla chargers and a couple of level two chargers.
First three hours are free.
It is located in Kanata.

Not just Tesla chargers, but 80A HPWCs! Interestingly, the HPWCs are free to use, the J1772s are not.

The other free charger I'd highlight in Ottawa is the one at Ottawa city hall. Great location, and free parking in an area which is generally rather expensive to park in. Assuming it's not taken, of course.

Thanks everyone for responding. Being a part of a community like this is one of the biggest perks of driving an MS :)

Not An Ice > I was at the Kingston SC when you were charging there as well on Friday!

Just for anyone staying at the Delta, or that part of downtown Ottawa, I used the VERNetwork chargers located at 350 Albert Street, underground parking, operated by Impark. The attendant was aware of the EV charging stations and pointed me promptly to them. Two stations. Got a max of 30A output. A bit slow, but didn't matter too much as I charged overnight. It was great to be able to monitor the charging status via the Android App and also via the VERNetwork App.

Interestingly enough, even though when I reached 100% charge level, the charger kept going and I noticed a difference of about two additional hours of charging cost ($1/hr - no biggie). I would set the charge level to just below 100% to avoid this in the future.

The parking lot at 340/350/360 Albert Street is accessible via the office building. They have a 24/7 concierge and if you need to access the car after office hours or on the weekend, you can buzz the concierge and they let you in to the lobby. The entrance to this parking lot is via Slater Street.

The two chargers are located on P2 - lookout for them as soon as you get to P2 level on the left side.

As this was my first long distance trip, so to speak, I had a bit of range anxiety. Not knowing how my driving style would affect range was the primary concern. All the worries were unfounded as the Kingston SC is located ideally for this trip. I had slight headwind on both the trips (to and from) ~20 km/h. I averaged about 180 wh/km, for the whole trip, driving between 110-115 km/h. I took the regular Hwy 401-416-417 on my way to Ottawa, and took Highway 10, Perth Road, on the way back. Hwy 10 is definitely much more scenic, fun to drive, as everyone here suggested. I will be taking that route next time.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs - they're always helpful and very much appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the EV charging station located at Constitution Tower II, 350 Albert Street, Ottawa

Resized-20150904_160546.jpg
Resized-20150904_160604.jpg
Resized-20150904_160607.jpg
Resized-20150904_160619.jpg

Reactions: juschilin
Thanks everyone for responding. Being a part of a community like this is one of the biggest perks of driving an MS :)

Not An Ice > I was at the Kingston SC when you were charging there as well on Friday!

Just for anyone staying at the Delta, or that part of downtown Ottawa, I used the VERNetwork chargers located at 350 Albert Street, underground parking, operated by Impark. The attendant was aware of the EV charging stations and pointed me promptly to them. Two stations. Got a max of 30A output. A bit slow, but didn't matter too much as I charged overnight. It was great to be able to monitor the charging status via the Android App and also via the VERNetwork App.

Interestingly enough, even though when I reached 100% charge level, the charger kept going and I noticed a difference of about two additional hours of charging cost ($1/hr - no biggie). I would set the charge level to just below 100% to avoid this in the future.

The parking lot at 340/350/360 Albert Street is accessible via the office building. They have a 24/7 concierge and if you need to access the car after office hours or on the weekend, you can buzz the concierge and they let you in to the lobby. The entrance to this parking lot is via Slater Street.

The two chargers are located on P2 - lookout for them as soon as you get to P2 level on the left side.

As this was my first long distance trip, so to speak, I had a bit of range anxiety. Not knowing how my driving style would affect range was the primary concern. All the worries were unfounded as the Kingston SC is located ideally for this trip. I had slight headwind on both the trips (to and from) ~20 km/h. I averaged about 180 wh/km, for the whole trip, driving between 110-115 km/h. I took the regular Hwy 401-416-417 on my way to Ottawa, and took Highway 10, Perth Road, on the way back. Hwy 10 is definitely much more scenic, fun to drive, as everyone here suggested. I will be taking that route next time.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs - they're always helpful and very much appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the EV charging station located at Constitution Tower II, 350 Albert Street, Ottawa

View attachment 93495View attachment 93496View attachment 93497View attachment 93498
Awesome. I'm heading to Ottawa on the weekend. Leaving Friday from orangeville and this is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks for sharingmm