Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in contact with Tesla about this very question. I've been told that Signature reservation holders should test drive Model S to familiarize themselves with electric vehicles. Model X will be available to set drive at stores "by the end of the year." They expect that I will take delivery before then (Sig 1192).

OP might be able to get a test drive in before he has to finalize his order.

I've been in contact with Tesla about this very question. I've been told that Signature reservation holders should test drive Model S to familiarize themselves with electric vehicles. Model X will be available to set drive at stores "by the end of the year." They expect that I will take delivery before then (Sig 1192).

OP might be able to get a test drive in before he has to finalize his order.
Great news! I must visit my local merchant to pick up some nice smoked salmon for Bonnie and Nigel. :)

I believe that Tesla will produce marketing cars to ship out to the various showrooms around the world. I heard a number like 250 X's initially would be allocated to marketing/showroom purposes. I don't know exactly when they will produced, but I would suspect that those cars will be available for viewing and test drives in the U.S. by the end of the year. Another potential option for you Al would be to see if there are any people in your area that take delivery of an X before your configuration time comes due. The early X adopters probably would be excited to give interested people a test ride!

Don't have an answer regarding test drives, but can say that I asked about getting an X media loaner in late Oct in FL when I'll be there presenting at the EV Transportation & Technology Summit and I was told they wouldn't yet have media cars available at that time, as I expected -- perhaps Motor Trend will get one or something, but idk if it will even get to review one that early. (Note that i head up the largest cleantech-focused news site in the world as well as an EV site that has been referenced by the NYTimes, Chicago Tribune, etc., and Tesla has emailed me media releases and been in touch personally over various matters several times in the past couple of years -- unfortunately, the lady I knew fairly well moved on and I don't have much of a personal history with the current people, but cutting my rambling off now...)

I think we have no info about that yet. I suffer you contact your local Tesla showroom, but I suspect they won't be able to tell you exactly when you will be able to test drive an X beyond saying "later this year". Or they might say "October".
Let us know what you find out.

I was at my local Tesla store today and they professed total ignorance. They feel that TM will not ship demos but wants to get cars to customers as quickly as possible. However, take this with a grain of salt because they have been wrong on almost everything so far.

I was at my local Tesla store today and they professed total ignorance. They feel that TM will not ship demos but wants to get cars to customers as quickly as possible. However, take this with a grain of salt because they have been wrong on almost everything so far.

They seem to be kept in the dark about a lot of things (for good reason, imho).

But this was my presumption. If they are going to struggle to get the initially planned 55,000 vehicles out in 2015 (and lowered guidance even), why would they put Xs in stores? Furthermore, people have been waiting years with their deposits down. I imagine Tesla wants to get them their SUVs asap, and I imagine the reservation holders wouldn't be super pleased if there were hundreds of demo cars while they anxiously waited on theirs.

OTOH, I'm sure a lot of people want to see and drive the X before finalizing their orders....

What do we know about test drives,if anything? How,when,where? I'm #1950. My wife needs to lay hands on one before she makes her final decision. Thanks.
I have Model X US reservation P6218 and am in the exact same boat. Not buying this without driving one and especially test-parking it in the garage. I never thought that this would be a problem, but depending on the ramp this may actually be fairly close for me.
With P1950 I think it would be rather unlikely.

Of those with low reservation numbers for the Model S - did Tesla allow people to delay for a few weeks in order to have a chance to drive one? Or is it "you have one week to configure and order or we'll refund your money and you move to the back of the line"?

I have Model X US reservation P6218 and am in the exact same boat. Not buying this without driving one and especially test-parking it in the garage. I never thought that this would be a problem, but depending on the ramp this may actually be fairly close for me.
With P1950 I think it would be rather unlikely.

Of those with low reservation numbers for the Model S - did Tesla allow people to delay for a few weeks in order to have a chance to drive one? Or is it "you have one week to configure and order or we'll refund your money and you move to the back of the line"?

Check out your reservation contract:

6. Deferral and Non-Transferability

If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that

you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your

reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be

determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not

communicate your decision to us within ten (10) days of notification

under paragraph 4, you will automatically be granted such a deferral.

Inside sales at Tesla told me that they're currently planning on beginning to send testers to stores at the end of the year. At that time, she currently expects all Signatures to have been delivered. You'er going to be cutting it close.

Inside sales at Tesla told me that they're currently planning on beginning to send testers to stores at the end of the year. At that time, she currently expects all Signatures to have been delivered. You'er going to be cutting it close.

Somebody more knowledgeable may chime in here - but if I recall correctly some voluntary Model S deferrals by forum members were many months long (e.g. to do a test drive, coming up with the money, etc)

Somebody more knowledgeable may chime in here - but if I recall correctly some voluntary Model S deferrals by forum members were many months long (e.g. to do a test drive, coming up with the money, etc)

Yes, but this is hard to to with a Signature series vehicle. Tesla may give a deferral but they want to get those done. They will defer you to a regular production vehicle. I did that with Model S.

I'm hoping that if they can't get demos to the showrooms, they will have test drive events where they can tour the country with fewer cars than they would need to have one in each location. Another possibility I would consider is a quick trip to the factory if they will do a test drive there. Of course a great alternative, as previously mentioned, is to impose on an earlier customer for a ride. I would be really reluctant to commit until I've seen and touched an X.

I'm hoping that if they can't get demos to the showrooms, they will have test drive events where they can tour the country with fewer cars than they would need to have one in each location. Another possibility I would consider is a quick trip to the factory if they will do a test drive there. Of course a great alternative, as previously mentioned, is to impose on an earlier customer for a ride. I would be really reluctant to commit until I've seen and touched an X.

Definitely historical precedent for that.

I've asked that question. They have no plans for a Get Amped like event at this time. They hope to have test drive vehicles at stores by the end of the year.