Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scalding Hot Door Handles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
geez, we were in for a surprise on a hot texas day! my five year old pretty much burned his hand by touching the intensely hot door handle that was roasting under the texas sun for 5 hours! be careful if you guys are in hot areas with your children opening the door by themselves. need to bring a towel with me to open the doors!

I'm in California and this is also a known issue. The door handles do get quite hot and I wish they wouldn't.

But, if it's a choice between the current sexy look of the handles, and having some hotness to the touch, I'll take the aesthetic joy at the cost of physical discomfort. Maybe with the X and next version of handles, we will have the same sexy look without the heat.

- K

This has been discussed before on this forum. One of the best suggestions I remember was placing some felt on the inside of the door handle. I haven't done this yet, but I was planning on it.

What I have been doing in the meantime is making sure the air conditioner is on a while before entering the car. Use the app to turn it on while your still in the store or whatever. It seems like the excess pressure inside the car vents through the door handles and will do a pretty good job of cooling them down before you get there.

I suppose Tesla could switch to plastic door handles that just look like chrome. That way they won't get hot.

To avoid this problem, pre-cool the vehicle using your app. Cool air circulates around the door handles and should make them tolerable on a hot day.

I usually pre-cool the car about 30-45 minutes before getting in the car. Obviously the handles get insanely hot here in Vegas, the pre-cool session last 30 minutes IIRC, so I usually have to cool more than once if I'm pre-cooling for 45 minutes. I've been toying with installing a small strip of felt in the inside of the handle where the hand would most likely touch it.

First time poster here (having just ordered a pre-owned S for delivery next week and still high from the test drive) gotta say this sounds like an aftermarket opportunity waiting for implementation.

Have some very good industrial, dark grey felt handy...it's all about the adhesive now, and I've got a fairly impressive collection of that, too.

:rolleyes:

Don't anybody touch those beautiful metal handles...

I'm in California and this is also a known issue. The door handles do get quite hot and I wish they wouldn't.

But, if it's a choice between the current sexy look of the handles, and having some hotness to the touch, I'll take the aesthetic joy at the cost of physical discomfort. Maybe with the X and next version of handles, we will have the same sexy look without the heat.

- K

lol. This statement reminded me of wearing four inch stilettos- painful but oh so worth it.

Here in California, we're famously laid back and always wear our shirts untucked. So it's pretty easy to grab the handle with the bottom of my shirt, if it's a very hot day and the handle has been in the direct sun for a while.