Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Xpel around CF spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody had any issues with getting this done? The people I'm using were very hesitant to remove the spoiler as they were worried about it cracking and/or breaking during removal. I ended up having two pieces of Xpel put on the trunk panel with a seam radiating out laterally from the edge of the spoiler. At first it looked fine as the seam was hardly noticeable. After driving for a few days, however, some dirt is settling into the seam. When you have a pearl white car, this doesn't look the best. The people I'm working with do a good job and are going to take a look at it again. I'm just looking for any ideas that might work better to put the Xpel on that back trunk panel without removing the spoiler. Any thoughts?

I didn't wrap the trunk lid with X-Pel but did everything else. I was mostly concerned with rocks causing paint chips on the road and parking lot damage. So the trunk lid didn't seem likely to get hit. So far that has been the case.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I wrapped my car which is a similar process and I did remove the spoiler and replace it. Had no issues at all. Makes for a nice, clean install. I understand the concern with removing it as I've heard some horror stories about it not only breaking but also ruining the paint underneath; however, I think if you wrap around it then it won't look quite as good and it will collect dirt on those edges over time. Sorry I can't be of more help other than to give you an example of case where removing and reinstalling the spoiler was successful. Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I've seen some of the posts in regards to the fishing line and heat gun technique and I plan on discussing that with them. I think this is coming down to the service people just being overly nervous/cautious about trying it. I think my "worst" case scernario would be to just remove the Xpel from the trunk alltogether. I'm not sure if you would be able to tell a visual difference between the trunk panel and the surrounding panels that have the Xpel on them. Maybe it will look weird? Probably wont look any worse then a permanent "dirt line" in the Xpel seam though I'm guessing. I'll talk to them and see if they are willing to try to remove the spoiler but I have a hunch they wont.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I've seen some of the posts in regards to the fishing line and heat gun technique and I plan on discussing that with them. I think this is coming down to the service people just being overly nervous/cautious about trying it. I think my "worst" case scernario would be to just remove the Xpel from the trunk alltogether. I'm not sure if you would be able to tell a visual difference between the trunk panel and the surrounding panels that have the Xpel on them. Maybe it will look weird? Probably wont look any worse then a permanent "dirt line" in the Xpel seam though I'm guessing. I'll talk to them and see if they are willing to try to remove the spoiler but I have a hunch they wont.

You could do the removal yourself, have the Xpel redone, and then add it back yourself.

My installer said they would remove the spoiler but when I picked up I had the seam also. On a black car it shows more than your white I'm willing to bet. No one else sees it but me of course. I am hesitant to make them redo it. They didn't want to do it as they claimed the bend of the trunk lid was going to make the XPEL not sit nicely. I think that is probably BS and they just didn't want to risk removing it.

Hi guys, having wrap quite a few whole Tesla's getting that back trunk deck in one piece is very difficult. You have to disassemble the entire inter hatch area, remove the tail lights, remove the rear trim, and its a crazy stretch on the film that almost always leaves some adhesion distortion. As for removing the spoiler is easy to take off. Just heat gun and fishing line as stated. After the Film has settled should be no problem to re attach using proper mounting tape. The only problem I ever had with them is because it is sprayed with a clear coat that has a matte affect it lifts if you try to pick film up while wrapping it.

Hi guys, having wrap quite a few whole Tesla's getting that back trunk deck in one piece is very difficult. You have to disassemble the entire inter hatch area, remove the tail lights, remove the rear trim, and its a crazy stretch on the film that almost always leaves some adhesion distortion. As for removing the spoiler is easy to take off. Just heat gun and fishing line as stated. After the Film has settled should be no problem to re attach using proper mounting tape. The only problem I ever had with them is because it is sprayed with a clear coat that has a matte affect it lifts if you try to pick film up while wrapping it.

What Joe said....it's not difficult to remove spoiler and reinstall, but your installer's skill needs to be up there and he/she needs to have done several rear hatches to get the stretch right for one piece.

With that said...removing the spoiler, and doing a 1-piece seamlessly, is the only option we offer. It looks really nice when done properly

I really appreciate all of the input from people who have done this themselves. I'll certainly talk to them again and see if they are willing to try and remove the spoiler. I'm already a little worried since they are shying away from it. The seam itself isn't that big of a deal but the seam on the white car is really a dirt magnet. Does not looks good at all.

I asked my installer about this very fact. He suggested three options as follows....

1 Order the Spoiler Uninstalled and he would install it after the wrap. Not sure if this is possible to do from TESLA??.

2 Order the Spoiler Installed and he would remove it before the wrap and re-install after the wrap. This will be more expensive and has some risk with existing paint / clear coat

3 Order an aftermarket spoiler and he would install it after the wrap. Risk on this option is fit. However no risk to paint.

He would NOT consider wrapping around the Tesla spoiler at all, period, end of that story.
He also wants me to order spare new trunk insignias - P90D to be applied after the wrap.
These insignias can be ordered from the Service Center, I have already asked my SC. They just need a VIN and cash.

The other option, much less expensive, is to seal the trunk instead of wrapping it. Which is probably the way I will go.

I asked my installer about this very fact. He suggested three options as follows....

1 Order the Spoiler Uninstalled and he would install it after the wrap. Not sure if this is possible to do from TESLA??.

2 Order the Spoiler Installed and he would remove it before the wrap and re-install after the wrap. This will be more expensive and has some risk with existing paint / clear coat

3 Order an aftermarket spoiler and he would install it after the wrap. Risk on this option is fit. However no risk to paint.

He would NOT consider wrapping around the Tesla spoiler at all, period, end of that story.
He also wants me to order spare new trunk insignias - P90D to be applied after the wrap.
These insignias can be ordered from the Service Center, I have already asked my SC. They just need a VIN and cash.

The other option, much less expensive, is to seal the trunk instead of wrapping it. Which is probably the way I will go.

For the last 5 or so months we have replaced emblems where they've been removed. Nothing beats the factory double sided tape on emblems.

Well, I pushed a little harder with my guys and they agreed to go ahead and remove the spoiler to install the Xpel. He texted me back a little while later and let me know that is was easier to remove than they thought it would be and they had no issues with it at all. So I'll be getting my seamless install after all. I'm pretty happy cuz man that seam did not look good when the dirt settled into it

Well, to finish things up with this thread the install went great. The spoiler came off without a hitch although they did mention that there is some time of "epoxy-like" material used to attached the spoiler and not just a simple adhesive tape product. Nevertheless, it came off fine and the install looks 100% better. So glad I pushed them to go ahead and do it.......they were much happier with the result as well. Thanks for all of the input everyone, I greatly appreciate it! I'll need to finally get off my butt and get some pics posted one of these days.