Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented an ICE and hated it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I just visited our son in Portland, OR. We rented a Chrysler 200. What a POS compared to the Tesla. Sluggish acceleration, anemic power to pass, a tinny sound from the motor, and a harsh ride were just the lowlights. If this the car Chrysler is touting as "imported from Detroit", then they should leave them there.
The car also had a very counter-intuitive knob to shift gears which almost got me into an accident a couple of times. It was so great to get home and drive Tessie today.

My wife and I just visited our son in Portland, OR. We rented a Chrysler 200. What a POS compared to the Tesla. Sluggish acceleration, anemic power to pass, a tinny sound from the motor, and a harsh ride were just the lowlights. If this the car Chrysler is touting as "imported from Detroit", then they should leave them there.
The car also had a very counter-intuitive knob to shift gears which almost got me into an accident a couple of times. It was so great to get home and drive Tessie today.

It's a car that stickers for $20k. Maybe you should have rented a luxury car if you were expecting luxury car standards.

How many times did you get out leaving it running? For me, it was ALL THE TIMES! I rented a Kia Optima for a day after a year driving a Tesla. Besides the usual horribleness that is the 4 banger ICE, the thing that really jumped out at me was how it felt like it was having a seizure getting on the interstate. I really don't miss feeling the car shift gears. Really emphasizes the inevitable future of automotive transportation, going back to an ICE like that.

Consumer Reports slammed the 200 as one of the worst cars of 2015, ICE or other. So perhaps not the best comparison with their top-rated car.

I was in Vegas last weekend and rented a Dodge Journey. Ugh. Pushing down on the pedal just took forever to do anything and all the noise... you'd think the thing was in its death throws... And then we had to fill the thing up so we weren't charged by the rental car company for gas. Wow, it seriously took me 10 minutes to get the stupid gas pump to work. Never doing that again...

Last edited:
Why did you have to rent a car? How come you didn't drive your Tesla?
I only had 4 days for the trip and you can't get from Indy to Portland in that time!
I do realize the price differential of the cars, but Chrysler is pushing this car extensively, and even compared to my old Camry Hybrid, it falls far short.

- - - Updated - - -

Consumer Reports slammed the 200 as one of the worst cars of 2015, ICE or other. So perhaps not the best comparison with their top-rated car.
You make a good point here.I did not realize that the 200 was so poorly rated.

I didn't like rental cars that much when I had my ICE. Now with Tesla, it is worse in a rental -- especially remembering to turn it off and lock the doors.

That said, in a few of the places I travel to there is Silvercar, which only rents silver Audi A4 and the price is right. Unfortunately, Slivercar isn't available in too many places yet.

... there is Silvercar, which only rents silver Audi A4 and the price is right.

^^ THIS ^^

For those that have never driven an Audi, it is orders of magnitude more pleasant than any American car (TSLA excluded, of course) that so often is the choice of the rental agencies. If I *HAD* to chose an ICE, it would be something from VAG (the Jettas are nice, as well). The things that come out of Detroit epitomize nearly everything that you can do wrong on a car.

For those of you inside Tesla walls... think of a program like Silvercar, except with Teslas, with a significant discount for those of us that already understand how the touchscreens work, how regen works, etc, and will drive it like our own*.

* Although, of course, there are times where I follow the mantra of "drive it like you stole it"... so maybe I should leave that part out...

Totally understand now. Getting a scratch repainted on mine right now for three days. I have a rental car today until Thursday. A Kia Optima :-/

1. It is SO SLOW!
2. It has NO traction and bad steering - and its brand new!
3. I keep trying to park/shift and activate the windshield wipers!
4. It has a real key, and that is such a hassle now to deal with at times!

Oh well, 2 more days...

I know how you feel. I got a "supercharged" Jaguar XF as a loner once when getting my Tesla serviced. Couldn't believe how slow it was off the line. Huge hesitation. Nearly got killed pulling out into traffic. Was very glad to get rid of that car.

Had a Nissan Versa once for rent....only once. I can see why it rated as the absolute lowest in satisfaction by Consumer Reports. It epitomizes the cheap Japanese car. Absolute piece of junk...

Then again, my mom's CLS55AMG seems quite inferior to my Model S. It certainly has been in reliability...