Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous upgrade for Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have asked James Tubb in Melbourne a few times. They have not had anything official from the US, but he assures me that he will let me know as soon as he finds out. My guess is that it will be a service centre visit that may present a few issue in WA.

Come on Dborn don't be a party pooper....

In any case there are no roads here where you can legally use it. Waste of money, in my very humble opinion.

Strictly speaking the laws against speeding do not apply to fast acceleration. So 0-100 in 2.8s is still 100kph at the top end presuming of course you go no faster...

But I do applaud the principle of safe driving expressed in your anti-ludicrous burst of sane rationality... No seriously I do...

Strictly speaking the laws against speeding do not apply to fast acceleration. So 0-100 in 2.8s is still 100kph at the top end presuming of course you go no faster...

But I do applaud the principle of safe driving expressed in your anti-ludicrous burst of sane rationality... No seriously I do...
It's often critical that you get to 100kmh 0.4 seconds faster. Such as.....ummmm.....yep I'm with dborn.

Actually I believe there are laws against 'excessive displays of acceleration' in various parts of Australia. Very hard to measure/prove though.

Theyre basically just a way for the police to shut down a young join in a hoon-mobile before they do damage. I doubt they would use it against a Tesla owner. Especially given the lack of noise which makes it seem far less anti-social (seriously!).

Actually I believe there are laws against 'excessive displays of acceleration' in various parts of Australia. Very hard to measure/prove though.

Theyre basically just a way for the police to shut down a young join in a hoon-mobile before they do damage. I doubt they would use it against a Tesla owner. Especially given the lack of noise which makes it seem far less anti-social (seriously!).

Also young hoon typically accompanies said show with "sustained loss of traction", "not being in control of the vehicle" and "defective exhaust muffler" so they get multiple fines and an impounded car. It would be difficult or impossible to achieve those last three in a Tesla!

In any case there are no roads here where you can legally use it. Waste of money, in my very humble opinion.

I sort of agree with you Dborn, although $9000 AU to make a very fast car 10% faster is sort of good value compared to what other owners spend on their rides.
After nearly two weeks driving a P85D the acceleration is plenty for me, I actually get more enjoyment cruising and enjoying the Model S experience, smooth, near silent driving, regen braking and great energy efficency, very glad I purchased a P85D but definately in love with the Model S as the bigger picture.
the money I was considering spending on Ludicrous will now go towards home battery storage.

Don't be too sure, it was only a few years ago that F1 driver Lewis Hamilton was fined for "deliberate loss of traction".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...th-the-law-sparks-fresh-interest-in-race.html

I must admit, I have been surprised after coming to live in Australia to find just how up tight the authorities are. Certainly contradicts the thoughts of most Poms that Oz is a really laid-back place. The BBC also commented on this in a recent article on their web site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34048497

Don't be too sure, it was only a few years ago that F1 driver Lewis Hamilton was fined for "deliberate loss of traction".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...th-the-law-sparks-fresh-interest-in-race.html

I must admit, I have been surprised after coming to live in Australia to find just how up tight the authorities are. Certainly contradicts the thoughts of most Poms that Oz is a really laid-back place. The BBC also commented on this in a recent article on their web site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34048497
The lewis hamilton thing was a publicity stunt arranged by a certain manufacturer and agreed to by the government. The police later withdrew the fine, and manufacturer sold heaps of cars.

I sort of agree with you Dborn, although $9000 AU to make a very fast car 10% faster is sort of good value compared to what other owners spend on their rides.
After nearly two weeks driving a P85D the acceleration is plenty for me, I actually get more enjoyment cruising and enjoying the Model S experience, smooth, near silent driving, regen braking and great energy efficency, very glad I purchased a P85D but definately in love with the Model S as the bigger picture.
the money I was considering spending on Ludicrous will now go towards home battery storage.
i have to say I agree with you!! The smoothness of the ride, the total controllability of the power, the effortless way it climbs hills is amazing. With the S I have more than enough acceleration for when I need it, but most of the time I am doing my utmost to see how economically I can drive. Just occasionally I feel a bit aggressive, and do use some ( very little) of that power. It is nice to know it is there, but I really genuinely don't miss not having a performance model of any flavour, that is P or P+. If i were to order again today, I would probably order the same minus the air suspension and ultra hifi, but would get the next gen seats, which is really the only thing I miss having.

i have to say I agree with you!! The smoothness of the ride, the total controllability of the power, the effortless way it climbs hills is amazing. With the S I have more than enough acceleration for when I need it, but most of the time I am doing my utmost to see how economically I can drive. Just occasionally I feel a bit aggressive, and do use some ( very little) of that power. It is nice to know it is there, but I really genuinely don't miss not having a performance model of any flavour, that is P or P+. If i were to order again today, I would probably order the same minus the air suspension and ultra hifi, but would get the next gen seats, which is really the only thing I miss having.

I don't see why you can't buy next gen seats right now and get them installed. Can't you just ask Tesla Sydney to source the parts for you?

Disappointed/cost in the air suspension and Ultra hifi, please share your experience with them. Although I didn't go with the hifi I did go with the air.

Not disappointed. Unnecessary. For what I usually listen to, hifi makes little difference. Air is nice but coils would do the job just as well. I don't travel long distances much so the lowering aerodynamic range extending effect is really a marginal benefit. So, the cash saved would go to things more useful to me. For the occasional steep driveway, ok, they are good.