Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D Vs 85D Daily 250km Roundtrip commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

Currently debating on getting a model s as my daily driver. I commute 250km roundtrip, I know the 70D is rated at 385km per charge but I live in Canada (Toronto) So our winters will play a roll in mileage per charge.
Just looking for opinions on weather the 70D would be a good buy or jumping to the 85D would be needed?

Currently I am driving a Mercedes C300 4matic but with gas prices/KM I drive the Tesla seems comparable to what I am currently spending. I plan to keep the car for the full 8 year warranty period

Thanks for any advice

Keith

85D would allow you to keep the car warm while driving.
I've not tested my 70D in the winter yet, but apparently the average loss of efficiency is ~30%
385-30%=270
Also consider that for longevity of the battery you don't want to charge 100% every day.
If the extra $10k is not a problem I would go for the 85D

The 85D would also allow you to use the battery more conservatively, as in, not discharge it a greater % of total SOC per day. This helps with its long-term health. You drive a lot ... I would go with an 85D or 90D, especially with Toronto winters.

I drive about 38,000 miles a year. The Model S makes all of my work travel and fun travel a first class experience. It's like getting into your own personal spaceship.

- K

I could plug in at work if needed 120v but the car would be stay at work for at least 9hours.
I could even put in another charging station if need be (self employed)

120 volt charging in a Toronto winter would probably only add about 1 mile for every hour you're plugged in. :cursing: If you go with the 70D, you would need 240 volt charging at both home and work, IMHO.

That's a killer commute. I have an 85D, and a 90% charge leaves me at 243 miles of range to play with. I do about 100 miles RT per day. With the A/C on, I typically arrive home with around 120ish miles rated range (meaning I used about 120 miles range to drive 100 real world miles - driving 80mph and up several large hills doesn't help).

A 70D is around 215 rated miles @ 90%, meaning your RT commute of 250km (155 miles) would put you at 60 miles left. But if you drive like a normal person, subtract maybe 20 miles from that, putting you at 40 miles remaining. That's before you turn on the heater too. Cutting it a bit close I think.

Go for the 85/90D to be safe if you can't charge at work.

Hey Everyone,

Currently debating on getting a model s as my daily driver. I commute 250km roundtrip, I know the 70D is rated at 385km per charge but I live in Canada (Toronto) So our winters will play a roll in mileage per charge.
Just looking for opinions on weather the 70D would be a good buy or jumping to the 85D would be needed?

Currently I am driving a Mercedes C300 4matic but with gas prices/KM I drive the Tesla seems comparable to what I am currently spending. I plan to keep the car for the full 8 year warranty period

Thanks for any advice

Keith

If you're from Toronto, don't even consider the 70. Get the at least the 85 and preferably the 90. In the -20 and below depths of last winter I couldn't even make 300 km on 100% charge with my P85D. And that is with the heat almost off and driving at below the speed limit.

I commute 250km roundtrip, I know the 70D is rated at 385km per charge but I live in Canada (Toronto) So our winters will play a roll in mileage per charge...

We bought a Tesla S85 two months ago. Tesla took our trade-in Mercedes GLK350 based on the same platform as the C300 and will never look back! Two months in our 85 and we have easily been able to round trip Toronto to Waterloo and back, 250 km on a full 100% charge while arriving home with 150 km of "rate range" to spare, and this was at +15% over the speed limit. In the winter, that "spare" 150 km will be eaten quite a bit by cabin and battery heating.

Couldn't agree more with others:

1/ Stretch to get the 90D if you are planning to own for many years and have similar commute distance.
2/ Install 240V EVSE at destination where possible.

The vast majority of days you can make 250 km round trip no issue at all, it's the extremely cold (-20C) and snowy (less traction) days that will use the most battery power and if you had 240V 30A destination charging, even for a few hours, it would be no issue at all.

Last winter, in our MB GLK, a 250 km/trip was $50 in gas, and the Tesla will be more like $10 for that distance. In fact, on our weekly trips to Waterloo region in the winter, we're going to use destination charging to top up so the cost is even more favourable.

We bought a Tesla S85 two months ago. Tesla took our trade-in Mercedes GLK350 based on the same platform as the C300 and will never look back! Two months in our 85 and we have easily been able to round trip Toronto to Waterloo and back, 250 km on a full 100% charge while arriving home with 150 km of "rate range" to spare, and this was at +15% over the speed limit. In the winter, that "spare" 150 km will be eaten quite a bit by cabin and battery heating.

Couldn't agree more with others:

1/ Stretch to get the 90D if you are planning to own for many years and have similar commute distance.
2/ Install 240V EVSE at destination where possible.

The vast majority of days you can make 250 km round trip no issue at all, it's the extremely cold (-20C) and snowy (less traction) days that will use the most battery power and if you had 240V 30A destination charging, even for a few hours, it would be no issue at all.

Last winter, in our MB GLK, a 250 km/trip was $50 in gas, and the Tesla will be more like $10 for that distance. In fact, on our weekly trips to Waterloo region in the winter, we're going to use destination charging to top up so the cost is even more favourable.

Point of order. I wouldn't call -20 "extremely cold." Heck, I always say it isn't cold until it hits -25. :tongue: :biggrin:

I have a very similar commute (150mi, ~241km), and an 85D. I haven't owned it through the winter yet, but given the range losses I hear about for heat, I wouldn't want to do it in a 70 on a daily basis. Seems like you'd be @ 90% every morning and below 10% by the time you got home.

I would have gotten the 90D if it was available at the time.

If money is an issue, simply buy 70D & install charging station at work.
If after 3-4 years money isn't an issue, call Tesla to upgrade you battery to a brand new 120 KW

This. If you're fully in control at work as I think was suggested by your comment further up, you can easily install a 10 kW capable charging station there (or even a NEMA 14-50 outlet for the UMC) which can fully recharge the car while you're at work if needed - and will cost much less than the $10k difference between the cars.

Having charging at work gives you more flexibility, and the 70D is ~5% more efficient in using electricity. 125 km one way won't be the least bit problematic for the 70D, even in serious cold I would think.
Walter