Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I never thought I'd buy an electric car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I've been a sports car guy my entire life. Nothing is better than a large displacement engine and a manual transmission. It was time to move past my 911 and I was trying to decide between the new Z06, an M5 or even a GT-R. Then I decided to test drive the Tesla.....

I'm not "green". In fact I'm kind of hoping that since I've ordered a Telsa it means I can stop recycling as having two trash cans drives me crazy! I've even written an entire blog making fun of Prius, or more specifically Prius drivers. It included such zingers as... Did you know the Prius is the only car that comes with a warning lable "Don't Use in Bathtub".

Now here I sit, hitting refresh on my My Tesla page incessantly waiting for the notice that my car has entered production. I haven't been this excited, or as my wife likes to call it "annoying", about a car in a long time. This car is freaking awesome and I can't wait to drive it every day. I've been looking for the Ludicrous Mode upgrade to my delivery date but can't seem to find that button.

Gary Jenkins
Sorta reformed ICE car lover

Welcome to the fold Taxman. That's one of the greatest things about this car, the owners come in all shapes, sizes, attitudes, walks of life etc... I owned a Prius before my Model S so I've heard about all the jokes. :smile: This car creates unity. I love that about it.

Congratulations!
I know a number of performance guys that bought their Tesla solely for that reason:)

The response is quicker than anything else out there, and the benefits of the electric motor(s) is phenomenal.
Enjoy the journey, and good luck to you during the wait (I know it well:wink:).

Welcome to the club Taxman.

Our 85D is our family car (read my wife drives it). As we do not have space or budget to buy two of them, I can't wait for the Perofrmance Model 3 to come out so I can ditch my 911 turbo.

This is why, I strongly believe, ICE will disappear and it's only a matter of time, i.e. until EV (with proper price/range) reaches the masses.

I bought my Tesla because I'm a tech guy. My wife is a former racing instructor and loved the performance. Now, however, I'm increasingly aware of the price we pay, in many regards, to power our cars with gasoline. I'm now also spec'ing rooftop solar for my home and eyeing a Power Wall. Even though buying an electric car solely for the sake of an electric car was never on my radar, I find myself increasingly drawn to being smarter about the energy I purchase, now that I own a Tesla.

As FLDarren observes, a Tesla has so many facets to its appeal that it draws a wonderfully large cross section of people to it. This, more than any other factor, is why I believe Tesla is going to succeed wildly.

^^ +1, awesome first post. And totally get it, BTW. I was NEVER a car person - I loved my RX7 in the 80s, my dad had a blown 240Z in the late 70s, my wife likes Jag and since about 1990, have always gotten the Dad Car.

Not this time.

I look, every day and multiple times per day, for a reason to get in the thing and go somewhere. This weekend, just for S&G we're going to drive to Wickenberg, up into Prescott, scoot home and stop for some pie. I CAN'T WAIT. It's like Nick (my car's name) just CALLS to me to go play. And who am I to turn him down? ;)

Welcome to it, Taxman, you're in for a treat.

Totally get it. I have complete car ADD and have been addicted to sports cars my whole life having progressed from a 996 to 997 CS2 to a 997 TT to 997 TT-S and now a R8 V10 spyder.

But, I find myself almost equally happy grabbing the keys of my 70D as much as my R8. Although, it's still goosebump inducing to hear the Akrapovic exhaust at 8k rpm with a V10 and the top down...;)

Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words and welcome. My wife (who has put up with my craziness for 30 years) just gave me a kind smile (or rolled her eyes) when I let out a yelp (is that a word) because my 825th Ctrl-R of the day updated to say "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S". What a great way to end the day!!

Rockster - I actually race cars and instruct as a hobby. I have two race cars in the garage right now and I'm going to have to find a place to store one so my P90D will have a place to charge at night!

alin3 - You might be my new car hero! I haven't owned cars like that but I've been fortunate to drive many of those on the track. I still haven't had the chance to drive an R8, though it is one of the prettiest cars made.

^^ +1, awesome first post. And totally get it, BTW. I was NEVER a car person - I loved my RX7 in the 80s, my dad had a blown 240Z in the late 70s, my wife likes Jag and since about 1990, have always gotten the Dad Car.

Not this time.

I look, every day and multiple times per day, for a reason to get in the thing and go somewhere. This weekend, just for S&G we're going to drive to Wickenberg, up into Prescott, scoot home
and stop for some pie. I CAN'T WAIT. It's like Nick (my car's name) just CALLS to me to go play. And who am I to turn him down? ;)

Welcome to it, Taxman, you're in for a treat.

Unconscionably off topic:

Is that pie place any good? I've never really been tempted to stop there; it seems close to kitschily touristy. But now my taste buds are wondering.....

PS: the Yarnell ramp and the great windy roads both south of Prescott as well as, e.g., through Jerome are unbelievable in a Tesla. Of course, my mother-in-law's fingerprints are still firmly embedded in the rear seat-sides.... ;)

Back on topic: congratulations to OP and welcome aboard.

Unconscionably off topic:

Is that pie place any good? I've never really been tempted to stop there; it seems close to kitschily touristy. But now my taste buds are wondering.....
Absolutely kitschie and touristy, and absolutely excellent pie. Worth the drive. Hell, it could be crappy pie I'd still want to drive there so long as I can go electric, but in this case, 100% worth it.