Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the news Ds finally quiet (no front motor noise)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the service center yesterday and got a quick test ride in a P90D. What made me more jealous then the ludicrous mode was the fact that I hardly could here the front engine. Beside the missing power after 30 mph, the front engine whine is the only thing I do not like about my car and where I miss my old P85.

Can you guys who just got a D confirm that this, or is it only the P90D ?

I went to the service center yesterday and got a quick test ride in a P90D. What made me more jealous then the ludicrous mode was the fact that I hardly could here the front engine. Beside the missing power after 30 mph, the front engine whine is the only thing I do not like about my car and where I miss my old P85.

Can you guys who just got a D confirm that this, or is it only the P90D ?

The whine is still there. I don't think I notice it more than the rear motor whine of an old P85+ or front whine of a P85D. I like the sound so I'm probably not the best one to answer.

Last edited:
I got my P85D ordered and delivered on the same day as you. I'm curious why they replaced your front motor...

Beause the front motor noise was really obnoxious, especially around zero power (so when you are cruising a slight downhill and the motor keeps switching between a small amount of power used and a small amount of power regenerated.
The service center actually recorded the noise when driving and sent it to HQ which came back with "umm, we don't know, please replace".

I can hear both my motors and I love it. The starship-electric whine is too cool and it's what a powerful, electric platform is supposed to sound like. I know there is a segment of the market that prefers a soundless EV experience, but that's just so sterile to me.

Of course, I'm only talking about the sexy electric whine/whirr that accompanies the application of power or regen. The high-pitch chirping noise is just fail. The intermittent on/off torque sleep noise is also mostly fail.

- K

My P85D has the high pitched whine below 40 MPH in steady state cruise. It sounds just like all the future sci fi electric cars we've seen in movies over the years. It's amazing that all those movies got that one aspect of future cars correct.

I personally like it.

I have a 70D and can't even tell there is a front motor. No whine at all so, it may be normal but not universal.
Thanks, that is encouraging information.
I will attempt do ride in another 70D sometime over the next few weeks.
If it proves to be as quiet as yours, I can then better deal with the service center knowing that mine is not necessarily "normal"

I must not have the same problem as the OP ... I have and 85D and the *tiny* amount of whine I hear from the front is actually very cool - it's really only on spool up and gives the car a very tiny, but present "tell" about the fact that you're laying into it (beyond the fact, of course, that everyone is stuck to their seats LOL)