Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla eRV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be any threads here about an electric RV. As I get older, I keep thinking that I would love to take an RV on a long cross-country tour, but the thought of dealing with that much gas just makes me shudder.

One of the interesting points to such a beast would be that they would always be able to use the 50 AMP hookups at RV parks both as umbilical and to slowly recharge the battery when staying at a park.

There are lots of travel trailers that are really nice and under the 5000 lb towing capacity of the Model X. During the evening you can use a campground 50amp 14-50 on your trailer. Then later while you sleep, your X will be charging and ready for you by morning. During multi day campground stays, you will have a really nice car to boot around in too! The only issue is having to unhook the trailer every 2 -3 hours at a supercharger while you are travelling, so make sure you get an electric hitch jack stand thingy for the frequent disconnects and reconnects. I'd also pick a rather aerodynamic trailer, not one of those boxy things. If done right, the whole combination sounds like a nice solution to me.

Last edited:
There are lots of travel trailers that are really nice and under the 5000 lb towing capacity of the Model X. During the evening you can use a campground 50amp 14-50 on your trailer. Then later while you sleep, your X will be charging and ready for you by morning. During multi day campground stays, you will have a really nice car to boot around in too! The only issue is having to unhook the trailer every 2 -3 hours at a supercharger while you are travelling, so make sure you get an electric hitch jack stand thingy for the frequent disconnects and reconnects. I'd also pick a rather aerodynamic trailer, not one of those boxy things. If done right, the whole combination sounds like a nice solution to me.

^^ this

x-trail1.png

Last edited:
This seems a bit backwards. One of the advantages of a good battery/solar system in RVs and campers is not needing to stay in RV parks. There are no electrical connections in national park campgrounds, for example. Electric propulsion seems to limit nice camping opportunities, at least in North America.

Better batteries and solar can eliminate the generator today, however. To me this is the current technological "sweet spot" for RVs and campers.

I've owned RVs and I really don't think an electric RV would do well at this point. On the other hand, it's well past time for a hybrid RV. With a 40kW-hr battery and a 75 hp diesel, you would be able to drive the all six wheels and only have an 8-8.5 ft tall vehicle (like the GMCs in the 80s). Between the reduction in engine size and cutting the drag 25%, such a platform could get double or more the mpg of current Class As. Bluebird designed a chassis like this, but it never went into production.