Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Box Mennekes to CEE (60309) Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Hi,

I thought I'd start a seperate thread for this.

Widodh has found that EV-Box make a Mennekes <-> CEE converter in 16A and 32A versions. I thought we could get a group buy together for possible discount.

Both come with a 4M cable, the price:

- 16A: EUR 244,00 ( 36005: Mennekes 4meter laadkabel 20A 1-fase mode 3 (L1,N,RA,CP,PP) EV-laadstekker (Type 2) - open eind )
- 32A: EUR 335,00 ( 36008: Mennekes 4meter laadkabel 32A 3-fase mode 3 (L1,L2,L3,N,RA,CP,PP) EV-laadstekker (Type 2) - open eind )

The 16A cable is actually a 20A cable, but the resistor limits it to 16A. At the end there is no connector, so you can place any CEE connector on it what you like.

The Mennekes connector is also not freely available, they don't want people hobby'ing around with large currents.

Please indicate whether you would want one or both versions.

I'll start this off with 2x 32A.

Widodh, do they have a picture of it with the CEE socket on the end?
No, the cable comes with NO connector at the end, you have to attach your own CEE socket.

You can take a blue (1-phase) connector or a red (3-phase) connector.

I expect to have the 16A version next week, I can take a picture for those who want it. But connecting your own CEE connector won't be a issue I think?

Guys - this is the purchasing thread. It is for taking orders for this particular cable. I've moved the talk about technicalities of splicing the Tesla plug directly onto a Mennekes cable into the original thread.

I'm lost! Can someone please clarify whether there is any way to use this cable to charge a Tesla via an MC240 or a UMC at 32A?

Yes.

To answer the questions about whether this would work and is worth buying please see this diagram

attachment.php?attachmentid=1495&d=1300485991.png

J1772 and Mennekes (62196) are one and the same (even if the diagrams are mirrored).

If S2 is closed and the resistor values are correct, the EVSE will supply current to its maximum allowed level. The CP (control pilot) signal for the EVSE is the voltage level measured on the +ve line next to R1. If the voltage is 6V, the EVSE will supply power.

I don't know if EV-Box are putting D, R2 and R3 into their end or if we need to put it in the CEE socket end, but that is what is needed.

With this device, it's up to the user not to overload the charging post. However that is difficult if a female 32A CEE socket is on the other end.

You could also put the 'California Connector' on there to create a UMC pigtail, if we can source them. It seems a bit strange to fake the signal and then have the UMC regenerate it, but it would work

It's basically the European equivalent of that new J1772 or Avcon to NEMA 14-50 boxes that we've seen used on the other side of the Pond. Except that the Mennekes design allows the simple electronics to go in the plug.

EVSE-CP.PNG

To all Tesla drivers that want to have Mennekes to Tesla cable.

As Widoh pointed out the Mennekes cables with 1 phase 32 A are available. The concept that it works has been tested by converting a spare connector to a Mennekes to Tesla cable (in this case a 1 phase 16 A). But the communication between the charging station and the Tesla works fine. As more and more charging stations have the Mennekes EV Plug within Europe, as Tesla owners we would love to have such charging cables. We talked to Tesla and they are aware of the need of such a cable but they couldn't tell when a solution would be offered. I would like to make a list of all Tesla owners that want such a cable. Please could you send your name and contact details so we can create the list.
For pictures to see the Tesla charging with the Mennekes plug, click on the link
https://picasaweb.google.com/114173472077062570892

http://www.ev-box.com

EV-Box started supplying Mennekes -> Tesla charging cables up to 32A. For EUR 1100,00 they'll make you such a cable. They can't get the Tesla connectors, so they buy spare mobile connectors and take the connector of that charger and solder it to the Mennekes cable.

I'd recommend that option.

yeah, that was just to be more future proof. I am hoping that there might be charging stations > 32A in the future. And yes RWE seems to have some good quality charging stations, but their pricing model is IMHO simply ridiculous. You can't use any of their stations without paying at least 19EUR per month base fee.
I am just thinking if one of the petrol companies would ask for such a base fee ... sometimes I simply don't understand companies ...

Seems like prices go up for the cable. I just received an offer from EV-Box for the 32A version 1330 EUR excl. tax and shipping. Pretty pricy, if you consider that the you get something similar to the J1772 cable offered by Tesla in the US (actually not even that, because that cable can handle 70A).
Tesla needs to get their act together and offer a cable themselves.